U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 PM
eok eok started this thread
 
6,684 posts, read 2,948,971 times
Reputation: 8439

Advertisements

Which malls are the best and biggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2016, 09:21 PM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Which malls are the best and biggest?
By square footage?

Probably St Matthews. Jefferson Mall is likely second in square footage but one of the worst malls.


Here is the ranking in order of the most upscale to the least upscale

Oxmoor
Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass
Paddock Shops
Mall St Matthews
Jefferson Mall
Green Tree Mall
River Falls Mall (mostly Bass Pro and Strip Retail)
Bashford Manor Mall is essentially gone, mostly a Walmart, Target, and Burlington Coats
Dixie Manor Mall is long gone
And the Galleria is also no more, replaced by bars and restaurants of "4th St Live" in 2004.

There are certainly lots of other small "mall like" or power center properties.

I like Westport Village the best of these, but I prefer to do most my shopping along Market St in Nulu, Frankfort Ave in Clifton and Crescent Hill, and Bardstown/Baxter, and Barret Ave in the Highlands. I also enjoy the heart of St Matthews downtown area, at the intersection of Lexington Rd, Chenoweth Ln, Brekenridge, and Shelbyville Rd (and across tracks onto westport behind Trinity HS). All the cross streets through there have neat retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 PM
eok eok started this thread
 
6,684 posts, read 2,948,971 times
Reputation: 8439
Basically what I want is an impressive mall to show someone who has only experienced the smaller malls of smaller cities. Not to shop, but just to show off.

Also what cheap tourist attractions are best and most impressive? The most bang for the buck, so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 AM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Reputation: 9078
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Basically what I want is an impressive mall to show someone who has only experienced the smaller malls of smaller cities. Not to shop, but just to show off.

Also what cheap tourist attractions are best and most impressive? The most bang for the buck, so to speak.
Mall St Matthews and Oxmoor Center mall are basically next to each other, separated only by I-264. You could easily hit both. For tourist attractions in terms of museums the Ali Center, Frazier museum, slugger museum, and glass works are all good, affordable, and close together. If the weather is good walking the Big 4 bridge is great, on TripAdvisor it's now one of the top 5 things visitors liked best in Louisville. And of course hit a local restaurant or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2016, 08:50 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY
3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times
Reputation: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Which malls are the best and biggest?
St. Matthews is the biggest since Oxmoore ditched their second floor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2016, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY
3,928 posts, read 3,545,747 times
Reputation: 3088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
By square footage?

Probably St Matthews. Jefferson Mall is likely second in square footage but one of the worst malls.


Here is the ranking in order of the most upscale to the least upscale

Oxmoor
Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass
Paddock Shops
Mall St Matthews
Jefferson Mall
Green Tree Mall
River Falls Mall (mostly Bass Pro and Strip Retail)
Bashford Manor Mall is essentially gone, mostly a Walmart, Target, and Burlington Coats
Dixie Manor Mall is long gone
And the Galleria is also no more, replaced by bars and restaurants of "4th St Live" in 2004.

There are certainly lots of other small "mall like" or power center properties.

I like Westport Village the best of these, but I prefer to do most my shopping along Market St in Nulu, Frankfort Ave in Clifton and Crescent Hill, and Bardstown/Baxter, and Barret Ave in the Highlands. I also enjoy the heart of St Matthews downtown area, at the intersection of Lexington Rd, Chenoweth Ln, Brekenridge, and Shelbyville Rd (and across tracks onto westport behind Trinity HS). All the cross streets through there have neat retail.
I'd say Westport Village is the biggest stripmall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 PM
eok eok started this thread
 
6,684 posts, read 2,948,971 times
Reputation: 8439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Jefferson Mall is likely second in square footage but one of the worst malls.
I haven't been to Jefferson Mall. In what way is it one of the worst? Does it have vacant stores or crime or something? Or just not a good selection of stores?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 05:32 AM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I haven't been to Jefferson Mall. In what way is it one of the worst? Does it have vacant stores or crime or something? Or just not a good selection of stores?
Just not great stores. Actually almost 100% full. It does have Macys and H&M which are probably two of the better stores.

It's not ghetto, but definitely attracts the more "urban" crown, especially from nearby Newburg. Lots of "city" type stores, and for example, four stores with the name "gold" in it.


The mall has all the essentials though. Definitely probably the worst mall in the area after Greentree, which is even smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 05:34 AM
 
6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I'd say Westport Village is the biggest stripmall.
It's actually a "lifestyle center." So is the Paddock Shops incidentally (but a poorly designed one, although its nice). Strip malls went out of style in the 1980's....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifestyle_center_(retail)

The biggest replacement for them? Power Centers. The largest Power Center is Springhurst Town Center, which is utterly massive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Louisville, KY
86 posts, read 91,500 times
Reputation: 44
St. Matthews is probably the biggest/nicest in terms of your typical mall. Oxmoor is cool, but really upscale. I've never even heard of most the stores there. Jefferson Mall has a bad rep cause of the crowd it has. It's definitely not the best mall out there, but it's the one I most frequently use because they have all the basics that I use such as American Eagle, Finish Line, etc. Not a mall I would go to without reason though. I go there for what I need and then leave. A place like St. Matthews, I browse around a little more.

Honestly, I think a really cool spot is the new outlets out in Simpsonville-Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass. Really nice setup, still expanding (I think?), lots of cool stores that the malls don't have, etc. The design is really cool-during the summer you almost feel like you're in Florida when you walk through there.

What about the Highlands section of Bardstown Road? It's not a mall or anything, but there are a lot of neat local businesses all throughout. Good food too. I always take visitors over there. It's also home to what I feel is our most unique crowd in the city (in a good way).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top