Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:01 AM

9 posts, read 6,265 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking for information. I'm looking to possibly move to the area in early July along with my son who will be 3 in late July. I will be working in New Albany (I'm moving only if I get the job I am interviewing for) and I would like a fairly easy commute (less than 30 minutes is preferable). I will also be looking for childcare for my son, either in New Albany or whatever area we end up moving to. I have looked into apartments in New Albany and most that I'm finding info on seem just a little over my price range. I've actually found cheaper ones in Jeffersonville. I would love suggestions on apartments. I would prefer $600 or less on rent and for at least some utilities to be paid and for it to be a safe area and would be nice if there was a park I could take my son to somewhat close by. I don't mind Louisville even as long as the commute isn't long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:12 PM

14,670 posts, read 7,970,612 times
I can't help you with all the details, but wanted to say welcome to Kentucky!
(I live in Lexington, but I have two cousins who live in Indiana and commute to Louisville each day for their jobs.
they should be opening a new bridge soon which should ease traffic from what I understand.)

Old 05-15-2016, 12:12 AM

36 posts, read 35,917 times
Only problem with the new bridge... is that a bunch of the bridges will be then be toll bridges. So, based on that and that you're watching your money I'd recommend the Indiana side of the river. I have a friend that's lived in Jeffersonville (J-ville) and now is in New Albany... she liked/likes them both.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflame1 View Post
Only problem with the new bridge... is that a bunch of the bridges will be then be toll bridges. So, based on that and that you're watching your money I'd recommend the Indiana side of the river. I have a friend that's lived in Jeffersonville (J-ville) and now is in New Albany... she liked/likes them both.
OK, thank you! Is it an easy commute from Jeffersonville to NA in the morning and NA to Jeffersonville in the evening? My work hours will be M-F 8-5.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 AM

7,057 posts, read 16,635,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflame1 View Post
Yes but the New Albany bridge (I-64) will remain free

The commute from Jeff to NA is less than 15 mins. This is one interconnected suburb that blends into each other.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
Rent in Southern Indiana is quite a bit cheaper than the Kentucky side and there shouldn't be much difference between New Albany, Clarksville, or Jeffersonville in apples to apples comparison. Comparably cheap housing in Louisville would be in higher crime areas. There are a lot of gritty, lower income areas scattered across S IN but there isn't a lot of violent crime. What is your price range?

Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Rent in Southern Indiana is quite a bit cheaper than the Kentucky side and there shouldn't be much difference between New Albany, Clarksville, or Jeffersonville in apples to apples comparison. Comparably cheap housing in Louisville would be in higher crime areas. There are a lot of gritty, lower income areas scattered across S IN but there isn't a lot of violent crime. What is your price range?

Preferably $600 or less, but could do a little more if needed

Old 05-15-2016, 08:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,337,451 times
How many bedrooms? You could probably get a 2 br in a safe area at an older apartment complex in Southern Indiana.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
How many bedrooms? You could probably get a 2 br in a safe area at an older apartment complex in Southern Indiana.
2 bedrooms. For my little boy and I. That sounds good! I emailed a bunch of places and I'm hoping to hear back.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:17 PM

86 posts, read 125,416 times
Would definitely recommend staying on the Southern Indiana side as previously mentioned. New bridges are coming with a hefty toll, and the 64/New Albany bridge will remain free, but in my experiences it has been absolutely dreadful during rush hour. I've crossed from Louisville to New Albany a handful of times in the 5:00/6:00 time range and every time it has been a frustrating mess (either that or I just have bad luck).

Southern Indiana is a really nice place to live in my opinion. A lot of my friends have opted out of buying in Louisville and went for Southern Indiana, making the commute across the bridge every day (and they are quite angry now because of the new bridge tolls). If you live and work in the Southern Indiana area, then you'd be in good shape. I'm not too familiar about how prices run out there, but I do know that there are some immaculate areas such as the heart of Clarksville (Lewis and Clark Parkway) and the North side of New Albany up by IUS. Jeffersonville has some really up and coming spots also. A lot of positive growth altogether that I've noticed.

I've seen cheap apartments on the web that look nice in the Clarksville area on sites such as apartment guide. Would definitely take a look if you haven't already.

Best of luck-welcome to Kentuckiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area