U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 11:10 AM

21 posts, read 12,532 times

Advertisements

I've been reading these forums for awhile now and appreciate all the great information provided. I'm in the early stages of considering relocation from the Denver area to Louisville. Originally from central IL, I moved to Colorado after college and 12 years later, looking to return closer to home. I've become quite intrigued by Louisville through my research and it appeals on several fronts - culture, size, climate (and associated green foliage), cost of living, and closeness to home/other major metros. I've never visited before and have my first scouting trip scheduled for June 11-14.

A bit about me, I'm a 35yo single guy with no kids and nine years experience in corporate finance/accounting. I prefer less urban living, while still being close to amenities of the city. I enjoy the outdoors and another thing that draws me to KY is all the beautiful nature available for exploring. Aside from that I'm relatively low-key and enjoy sports, live music, church involvement, volunteering, and meeting new people. The bar scene isn't a huge draw for me. I would initially rent for 6-12 months while becoming familiar with the area and then buy. Monthly budget is $1200 for a 2-bedroom.

Just a few questions to get the ball rolling on this new journey!

1) Is Louisville transplant friendly? I would not know anyone in the area aside from an old high school friend in Lexington and a couple others I have networked with already. On paper, the area is a much better cultural fit for me than Denver and I definitely would not be looking to bring the West with me.

2) How is the singles scene? My ultimate goal is to settle down, plant roots, and start a family.

3) Can most of the metro area be navigated within 30 minutes of I-265/I-64 interchange? This is roughly the area I've been focused on for housing, although I'd love other suggestions for someone in my situation. I know this will ultimately be contingent on my employment.

4) Finally, from a visitors standpoint, any recommendations for areas to visit/things to do that I should be sure to include in my visit next month? I'd like to get a good feel for the area as a tourist, but also a realistic perspective as a future resident as well. Bonus for scenic outdoor adventure spots!

5) Anything else you like to share or words of wisdom for a newbie!

Hopefully this isn't too vague, as I'm just getting started. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 01:43 PM

9,592 posts, read 20,492,334 times
1. Louisville has fewer transplants per capita than Denver but here they are highly concentrated in one part of town, East / Northeast of downtown. Lots of people in that area came here from the Midwest. This is a great foodie city, it would take a year to hit every local restaurant. The park system is very good, not as spectacular as the Rockies but lots of places to hike, fish, canoe, etc nearby. Go a couple hours to the east for real mountains and even more to do. Lots of live music too. We're also close to several other metro areas: 1.5 hours to Cincinnati or Indy, 2.5 to Nashville, 5 hours to Chicago.

2. I've found internet dating is a good way to filter people to find the best fit before meeting. In terms of finding someone in their 30s with no kids or previous marriages the East End would be better because people there tend to marry later in life. Not impossible to find a mate in more working class areas but it is more common for people to marry or have kids right out of high school. Louisville is very diverse in terms of types of people, everything from Liberal vegans to very country, with lots in between.

3. Most good White Collar jobs are along I-64 between I-264/ I-265, some are also downtown. Basically the area you as already looking in. If you end up in that region you shouldn't have to look too far to find a good apartment even below your budget. The area I recently moved from (Lyndon / Lagrange Rd) is popular with Gen X / Y young professionals and has a wide range of apartments to choose from. It's a safe, quiet area with easy access to the main shopping areas and only 12 miles to downtown.

4. The best museums are close together in downtown along W Main. Ali Center, Frazier History Museum, etc are all good. Go down Baxter Ave / Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave and dine at a random restaurant. There is a popular pedestrian bridge near downtown (Big 4), the waterfront near it is very nice. There are hiking / nature trails to the south (Jefferson Memorial Forest) and southeast of town (Parklands of Floyds Fork). There are several nice cave tours in S Indiana (Indiana Caverns in Corydon and Squire Boone Caverns south of Corydon). 45 minutes to the east of downtown is the horse farm country, 45 minutes to the south is Bernheim Forest and Lincoln Birthplace museum.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
1. Louisville has fewer transplants per capita than Denver but here they are highly concentrated in one part of town, East / Northeast of downtown. Lots of people in that area came here from the Midwest. This is a great foodie city, it would take a year to hit every local restaurant. The park system is very good, not as spectacular as the Rockies but lots of places to hike, fish, canoe, etc nearby. Go a couple hours to the east for real mountains and even more to do. Lots of live music too. We're also close to several other metro areas: 1.5 hours to Cincinnati or Indy, 2.5 to Nashville, 5 hours to Chicago.

2. I've found internet dating is a good way to filter people to find the best fit before meeting. In terms of finding someone in their 30s with no kids or previous marriages the East End would be better because people there tend to marry later in life. Not impossible to find a mate in more working class areas but it is more common for people to marry or have kids right out of high school. Louisville is very diverse in terms of types of people, everything from Liberal vegans to very country, with lots in between.

3. Most good White Collar jobs are along I-64 between I-264/ I-265, some are also downtown. Basically the area you as already looking in. If you end up in that region you shouldn't have to look too far to find a good apartment even below your budget. The area I recently moved from (Lyndon / Lagrange Rd) is popular with Gen X / Y young professionals and has a wide range of apartments to choose from. It's a safe, quiet area with easy access to the main shopping areas and only 12 miles to downtown.

4. The best museums are close together in downtown along W Main. Ali Center, Frazier History Museum, etc are all good. Go down Baxter Ave / Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave and dine at a random restaurant. There is a popular pedestrian bridge near downtown (Big 4), the waterfront near it is very nice. There are hiking / nature trails to the south (Jefferson Memorial Forest) and southeast of town (Parklands of Floyds Fork). There are several nice cave tours in S Indiana (Indiana Caverns in Corydon and Squire Boone Caverns south of Corydon). 45 minutes to the east of downtown is the horse farm country, 45 minutes to the south is Bernheim Forest and Lincoln Birthplace museum.
Thanks for the feedback censusdata, very helpful. With some of the insight offered, I've started piecing together a rough itinerary to include the following:

- Downtown walking tour
- Big 4 Bridge and Waterfront Park
- Baxter Ave / Bardstown Rd and a stroll through Cherokee Park
- 4th Street Live
- Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory and/or Kentucky Derby Museum
- Time permitting, I'd love to check out Jefferson Memorial Forest or Floyds Fork.

Are there specific neighborhoods East/Northeast of downtown you would recommend exploring? It sounds like the area mentioned is close to St. Matthews? I'd like to drive the roads and neighborhoods a bit, focusing on the East End, including Middletown and Jeffersontown.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:15 PM

9,592 posts, read 20,492,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBruno23 View Post
Thanks for the feedback censusdata, very helpful. With some of the insight offered, I've started piecing together a rough itinerary to include the following:

- Downtown walking tour
- 4th Street Live
- Time permitting, I'd love to check out Jefferson Memorial Forest or Floyds Fork.

Are there specific neighborhoods East/Northeast of downtown you would recommend exploring? It sounds like the area mentioned is close to St. Matthews? I'd like to drive the roads and neighborhoods a bit, focusing on the East End, including Middletown and Jeffersontown.
I'd say when in St Matthews keep going out US 60 (Frankfort Ave, becomes Shelbyville Rd about 5 miles beyond the Watterson X-Way and then take Blankenbaker Pky south until it ends 4 miles later at Taylorsville Rd in Jeffersontown. Go west on KY 155 into J-town's old section. Take a left on Watterson Trail and go several miles, then go north on Hurstbourne Pky and go north back to I-64. That would give you a good feel for the main areas with apartments and shopping.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:01 PM

6,303 posts, read 13,199,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBruno23 View Post

- Downtown walking tour
- 4th Street Live

Good start. 4th St Live is a tourist trap for conventioneers....might be good to go to the Jim Beam factory there and get a bourbon shot. Very KY thing.

At the very least, you need to at least see Nulu (Have coffee at Please and Thank you and then walk to Galaxie for a drink, Chicken at Royals, or BBQ at Feast)

Frankfort Ave is also a must see. I would recommend eating at the bar at Silver Dollar (can totally be done alone even) and then head down to the Hub bar for a drink. Walk along this strip if you can.

You should also see St Matthews. Many young professionals in that area.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Louisville.

Also keep in mind theres more...New Albany IN has a neat little downtown...not big cityish now, but much quieter and has great restaurants. census data just moved over there and can answer specifics on it....consider New Albany if the hip areas of Louisville seem overpriced to you for KY (and some are considering as cosmopolitan as Louisville is, it is STILL KY lol)

I am not sure I would waste my time driving into the "east end?" It looks the same as any suburb in the USA....J town middletown etc could be any burn of denver and fit in

If you want to see a suburb with lots of young professionals, check Norton Commons. Really neat new urbanist development off KY 22. Commonwealth tap and Mercato Italiano would be two spots to check out there. Very pretty area, and some great upscale apartments with a I think dog spa and gym, etc.

I know a lot of young professionals in Middletown hang out at this sports bar called the Goat in a newish apartment complex.

Louisville has an increasingly larger amount of transplants. For dating, the internet has become the way of the land, and Lville is no different. Louisville will take time to grow on you, but I personally love it now, as evidenced by my posts!

Old 05-21-2016, 12:27 AM

22 posts, read 17,844 times
I can tell you that it's friendly to transplants once they get to town. Not so easy to do things from a distance. I moved here last year from Chicago. There's a large meetup for newcomers, which I haven't made it to. For the most part people are willing to help out lost newbies.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'd say when in St Matthews keep going out US 60 (Frankfort Ave, becomes Shelbyville Rd about 5 miles beyond the Watterson X-Way and then take Blankenbaker Pky south until it ends 4 miles later at Taylorsville Rd in Jeffersontown. Go west on KY 155 into J-town's old section. Take a left on Watterson Trail and go several miles, then go north on Hurstbourne Pky and go north back to I-64. That would give you a good feel for the main areas with apartments and shopping.
Appreciate the detail, I'll map that one out!

Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Good start. 4th St Live is a tourist trap for conventioneers....might be good to go to the Jim Beam factory there and get a bourbon shot. Very KY thing.
I was getting that same impression from reading the visitors guide!

Quote:
At the very least, you need to at least see Nulu (Have coffee at Please and Thank you and then walk to Galaxie for a drink, Chicken at Royals, or BBQ at Feast)

Frankfort Ave is also a must see. I would recommend eating at the bar at Silver Dollar (can totally be done alone even) and then head down to the Hub bar for a drink. Walk along this strip if you can.

You should also see St Matthews. Many young professionals in that area.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised with Louisville.

Also keep in mind theres more...New Albany IN has a neat little downtown...not big cityish now, but much quieter and has great restaurants. census data just moved over there and can answer specifics on it....consider New Albany if the hip areas of Louisville seem overpriced to you for KY (and some are considering as cosmopolitan as Louisville is, it is STILL KY lol)

I am not sure I would waste my time driving into the "east end?" It looks the same as any suburb in the USA....J town middletown etc could be any burn of denver and fit in

If you want to see a suburb with lots of young professionals, check Norton Commons. Really neat new urbanist development off KY 22. Commonwealth tap and Mercato Italiano would be two spots to check out there. Very pretty area, and some great upscale apartments with a I think dog spa and gym, etc.
Thanks! This is all a huge help in prioritizing my navigation of the area and it's nice to have a list of places to drop in for a bite to eat. Based on the feedback received so far, I'm really looking forward my visit!

Quote:
I know a lot of young professionals in Middletown hang out at this sports bar called the Goat in a newish apartment complex.
One of the apartments I've researched is Meridian on Shelbyville in Middletown. I'll have to see if it's in the same place.

Quote:
Louisville has an increasingly larger amount of transplants. For dating, the internet has become the way of the land, and Lville is no different. Louisville will take time to grow on you, but I personally love it now, as evidenced by my posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or