U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

If this is the wrong place to post please delete. I know this is a long shot, but I am hoping someone can maybe point me in the right direction. Through a DNA program, someone reached out to me because my husband and she are fourth cousins, through her father's side. When she had her DNA done it turned out that her mother had misled her about who her father was. A sister that she thought she shared the same parents with, turns out to be a half sister, and three brothers that she had been told were half brothers in reality are not blood related. Her mother has admitted to an affair, but has given her misinformation and as little bit of info that she can. At this point she isn't looking for a father (doubtful he would be living) but would like to know who he was and any other children he may have had. One of the only clues we have is that in 1962 he was living in an apartment that her mothers says was very nice and occupied by mostly Jewish people, and that every morning he would have to go out and move the car leading me to believe it was downtown Louisville. I have last names I can look for based on the names in my husband's family and I am going to try and go to the Library of Congress to look at phone directories from this period. He lived at this apartment complex for at least four years. Can anyone suggest where I could try and find a listing of apartments that would be in Louisville in the 1960's. Like I said I know this probably isn't the correct place to post but after trying to narrow names, etc down I am now trying to narrow the list down even more
Thanks for any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:37 PM

6,308 posts, read 13,218,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyf0711 View Post
If this is the wrong place to post please delete. I know this is a long shot, but I am hoping someone can maybe point me in the right direction. Through a DNA program, someone reached out to me because my husband and she are fourth cousins, through her father's side. When she had her DNA done it turned out that her mother had misled her about who her father was. A sister that she thought she shared the same parents with, turns out to be a half sister, and three brothers that she had been told were half brothers in reality are not blood related. Her mother has admitted to an affair, but has given her misinformation and as little bit of info that she can. At this point she isn't looking for a father (doubtful he would be living) but would like to know who he was and any other children he may have had. One of the only clues we have is that in 1962 he was living in an apartment that her mothers says was very nice and occupied by mostly Jewish people, and that every morning he would have to go out and move the car leading me to believe it was downtown Louisville. I have last names I can look for based on the names in my husband's family and I am going to try and go to the Library of Congress to look at phone directories from this period. He lived at this apartment complex for at least four years. Can anyone suggest where I could try and find a listing of apartments that would be in Louisville in the 1960's. Like I said I know this probably isn't the correct place to post but after trying to narrow names, etc down I am now trying to narrow the list down even more
Thanks for any suggestions
The historic Jewish neighborhoods of Louisville were along east jefferson, in the phoenix hill neighborhood, on south down floyd and preston street towards college street.

Sadly, almost all these residences have been torn down through "urban renewal." There are now 1960s era public housing buildings, lots of hospital and office buildings, and in the last 10 year, there have been medical office buildings, apartments, and condos built in the area.

ISJL - Kentucky Louisville Encyclopedia - Institute of Southern Jewish Life

Apartments in the 1960s's were not really "complexes." Most jews would have rented a "flat" in an old Italianate or Victorian home, or perhaps even a shotgun.

By the mid 1960s most Jewish had fled to the surbubs, and specifically, a couple areas off dutchmans lane, and also the Indian Hills and Northfields areas, and to a lesser extent, Kingsley and Seneca Gardens. All these areas have synagogues still.

Louisville has a sizable Jewish population for a "southern" city.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:47 AM

9,601 posts, read 20,517,393 times
I think the library downtown has old phone books for Louisville from every year if you just want to verify addresses.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I actually live in Maryland but it looks like the Library of Congress has phone directories for that period. I will go there and try and go through it, through genealogy and her DNA connection to my husband and others I have some last names to check and probably rule out many of them - hoping to be able to tell who is married (don't think he was at the time and run the ages with ancestry to rule out many more. I am also afraid her mother is purposely misleading her, she said at first it was a high rise, with the majority of tenants being Jewish, then said maybe it wasn't a high rise. We know he was a salesman that traveled from Florida, Alabama but was based in Louisville.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:25 PM

6,308 posts, read 13,218,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyf0711 View Post
Thanks so much for your help. I actually live in Maryland but it looks like the Library of Congress has phone directories for that period. I will go there and try and go through it, through genealogy and her DNA connection to my husband and others I have some last names to check and probably rule out many of them - hoping to be able to tell who is married (don't think he was at the time and run the ages with ancestry to rule out many more. I am also afraid her mother is purposely misleading her, she said at first it was a high rise, with the majority of tenants being Jewish, then said maybe it wasn't a high rise. We know he was a salesman that traveled from Florida, Alabama but was based in Louisville.

If it was in the suburbs, where many Jews Moved by the 60's, it could have been :

Shalom Tower | Senior Housing Group

Shalom Towers is now low income senior residences. Many of them are Jewish to this day.

Nearby, JCC is at the center of jewish Louisville today:

https://jewishlouisville.org/jcc/

You may call them.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 PM

I will give that a try.
Thanks so much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or