U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 12:13 PM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
As a once-in-a-while casual tourist passing thru Louisville, are there any good restaraunts in Louisville where home made biscuits and red eye gravy are on the breakfast menu?
Gralehaus. Thank me later.

Also a great Airbnb above there in what I believe is one of the best urban neighborhoods of ANY metro under 2 million. Certainly up there with places Iíve seen in Richmond, New Orleans, Nashville, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:52 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
I looked on Yelp and it has lots of 5 star reviews. I checked out the menu but I didn't see any red eye gravy. I did see fried baloney sandwich on the menu for 10$, though. I dont believe I ever have seen a fried baloney sandwich on a menu before. I've seen fried Spam sandwich on a menu before, but never fried baloney sandwich. Even if it is the cheapest food item on the menu, 10$ for a fried baloney sandwich is expensive. Unless I was about to starve to death, I wouldn't pay anymore than $4.95 for a fried baloney sandwich. But I think it's kinda cool they have it on the menu. Next time I pass thru Louisville, I'll be sure and stop there for a meal. It seems like a place worth checking out.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I looked on Yelp and it has lots of 5 star reviews. I checked out the menu but I didn't see any red eye gravy. I did see fried baloney sandwich on the menu for 10$, though. I dont believe I ever have seen a fried baloney sandwich on a menu before. I've seen fried Spam sandwich on a menu before, but never fried baloney sandwich. Even if it is the cheapest food item on the menu, 10$ for a fried baloney sandwich is expensive. Unless I was about to starve to death, I wouldn't pay anymore than $4.95 for a fried baloney sandwich. But I think it's kinda cool they have it on the menu. Next time I pass thru Louisville, I'll be sure and stop there for a meal. It seems like a place worth checking out.
Ivory, are you looking for a "down home" dirty diner kind of place vs something expensive? Louisville has gotten very trendy and thus very pricey.

As I have continued to argue, Louisville is nearly as Midwest as South. Therefore, you won't even find any dedicated biscuit concepts there. We are easily a top 20 foodie city but there is much better gravy further south, even in KY.

Here is Yelp's list:

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_des...uisville%2C+KY

Wagner's is "quintessential " old style Louisville but really nothing special for food, just historical. It's also not in the best neighborhood but it's close to Churchill and several ethic neighborhoods nearby (Beechmont has an excellent Vietnamese district).

IMO the best breakfast in the city is Con Huevos in Crescent Hill. Wild Eggs is probably the most known, and Toast is probably the most "trendy affordable."

Hope this helps. Just today, two more buildings in downtown announced to be rehabbed....we keep rolling here as news comes out on development almost daily now.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-10-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM

12 posts, read 2,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
These are ridiculous, ill informed complaints. Don't you live in Louisville? And Bardstown Rd is very special, especially in good weather or for festivals. But it cannot be driven...it must be walked, and the side streets and Cherokee park must be too. It is completely false that lots of cities have that. Maybe less than 20 in the USA have such a complete neighborhood, as urban, as UPSCALE, as safe, as the Highlands with every city amenity, late night bars and restaurants, and a Frederick Law Olmstead park. Even supposedly "bigger" cities have nothing to compare, and the list is large from Orlando to Phoenix, St Louis to Detroit. So yeah, if you drive Bardstown Rd on a Monday at 8 PM at 35 mph it probably doesn't look that special. But this person missed corner spots in Old Louisville, the largest Victorian hood in the Midwest, great ethic eats in Beechmont, wonderful museums, hotels, and a top 20 restaurant scene. They completely missed Frankfort Ave an the heart of St Matthews. They missed the boutiques and food of Nulu, and the bourbon museums and tours which are unique to Louisville. There is so much more...

Things were hard to get to? Come on. That's like someone complaining a subway or L is closed in NY or Chicago. really guys? Why should there be big glaring signs for tourists? Maybe Louisville attracts the kind of tourist like the well prepared gentleman above. The rest can head for the usual spots...the Vegas Strip, Disney World, et all.

I think Louisville is doing ok. Almost every weekend major dt hotels are sold out. This weekend rooms go for 300-400
I grew up in Louisville, but moved to California for college and stayed. My boss had to go to Louisville a couple of months ago to meet with a client, and wasn't very impressed. He said it was ok, but wouldn't exactly go for vacation. I can understand younger people wanting to move there, since it's one of the few metro areas where you can still buy a house for under 500k, but it's not exactly a prime tourist location.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM

94 posts, read 76,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kae111 View Post
I grew up in Louisville, but moved to California for college and stayed. My boss had to go to Louisville a couple of months ago to meet with a client, and wasn't very impressed. He said it was ok, but wouldn't exactly go for vacation. I can understand younger people wanting to move there, since it's one of the few metro areas where you can still buy a house for under 500k, but it's not exactly a prime tourist location.

One of the problems is that all of the hotels are either downtown or off interstates in boring areas so unsurprisingly Louisville probably comes off worse than it should for a lot of people who came in and explored the area around their downtown hotel.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Louisville is doing quite fine, and depending on where your boss stayed, what did he/she honestly see? You should come back and look for yourself, you won't recognize the place.

The data on tourists speaks otherwise. No, it's not CA or FL but Louisville sees more tourists than almost any Midwest destination but Chicago. It's right up there with Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is doing quite fine, and depending on where your boss stayed, what did he/she honestly see? You should come back and look for yourself, you won't recognize the place.

The data on tourists speaks otherwise. No, it's not CA or FL but Louisville sees more tourists than almost any Midwest destination but Chicago. It's right up there with Cincinnati and Indianapolis.
I gave him a nice list of things he should see, since he was there for almost a week. He thought many parts were pretty, and did enjoy the BBQ, but he found it just ok.

Hate to tell you, but right up there with Cincinnati and Indianapolis isn't exactly brag-worthy.

I have no desire to go back, to be quite honest. As a black woman, I have many bad memories of that city. I prefer sunny, progressive CA.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-09-2018 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: See DM

Old 08-09-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
One of the problems is that all of the hotels are either downtown or off interstates in boring areas so unsurprisingly Louisville probably comes off worse than it should for a lot of people who came in and explored the area around their downtown hotel.

He stayed at that 21 Hotel...?? The reality is that not many people are coming from CA to Louisville on vacation. I always get chuckles when I say I'm from there. I'm sure it is a better city than it was when I grew up there, but not worth a $400 plane ticket for Californians, or anyone on the west coast.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:04 PM

355 posts, read 213,809 times
Quote:
He stayed at that 21 Hotel...?? The reality is that not many people are coming from CA to Louisville on vacation. I always get chuckles when I say I'm from there. I'm sure it is a better city than it was when I grew up there, but not worth a $400 plane ticket for Californians, or anyone on the west coast.
You obviously havenít been to Louisville in a while or travelled around the country, because Louisville is in fact, a tourist boom town right now. The Bourbon and Horse racing industry are huge draws to the city for tourists, including Californians. My neighbors are from San Diego and chose to move to Louisville, and it was mainly to attend the derby and experience Kentucky. I am not originally from Louisville, but find to to be a fun, booming mid-sized city.

I really do get tired of people on the coasts acting as if it is so superior to the Middle part of America.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
You obviously haven’t been to Louisville in a while or travelled around the country, because Louisville is in fact, a tourist boom town right now. The Bourbon and Horse racing industry are huge draws to the city for tourists, including Californians. My neighbors are from San Diego and chose to move to Louisville, and it was mainly to attend the derby and experience Kentucky. I am not originally from Louisville, but find to to be a fun, booming mid-sized city.

I really do get tired of people on the coasts acting as if it is so superior to the Middle part of America.
I was merely stating what my boss said, as the question was in regard to tourist impressions of the city. I'm sorry it isn't the answer you guys wanted.

I have lived in CA for 25 years, and don't know a soul that has gone to KY for vacation. Although I'm quite sure your san diegan neighbors are happy to be able to afford a house!

I'm sure it is a fun, booming mid-sized city. I really never said anything other than my boss' impressions, and my impressions as a black, gay child and teenager, which is that it was racist and homophobic, which led to a crappy childhood in many ways.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-09-2018 at 08:51 PM.. Reason: Off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or