U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 06:51 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae111 View Post
I was merely stating what my boss said, as the question was in regard to tourist impressions of the city. I'm sorry it isn't the answer you guys wanted.

I have lived in CA for 25 years, and don't know a soul that has gone to KY for vacation. Although I'm quite sure your san diegan neighbors are happy to be able to afford a house!

I'm sure it is a fun, booming mid-sized city. I really never said anything other than my boss' impressions, and my impressions as a black, gay child and teenager, which is that it was racist and homophobic, which led to a crappy childhood in many ways.
Your perspective is valid, kael. Thank you for sharing. I grew up in Southern California, but I moved to Louisville a year ago. I absolutely love it here, but that’s because I can afford to live in a safe, trendy, urban neighborhood with my middle class income. My teen daughter is gay, and she has gotten along great here - due in no small part I’m sure to the fact that we live in a very gay-friendly neighborhood. To live like I live here in Los Angeles, I’d need to triple my income.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-09-2018 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Edited quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM

12 posts, read 2,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Your perspective is valid, kael. Thank you for sharing. I grew up in Southern California, but I moved to Louisville a year ago. I absolutely love it here, but thatís because I can afford to live in a safe, trendy, urban neighborhood with my middle class income. My teen daughter is gay, and she has gotten along great here - due in no small part Iím sure to the fact that we live in a very gay-friendly neighborhood. To live like I live here in Los Angeles, Iíd need to triple my income.
It is tough when I realize that the cost of my modest condo here (about 450k) could buy me something spectacular there. But too many things I don't want to give up. I'm glad you're in a nice neighborhood where your daughter feels accepted - I would have given anything for that!

Old 08-11-2018, 08:52 AM

4,989 posts, read 4,485,827 times
My husband and I came to Louisville with another couple for a long weekend a few weeks ago. We liked it but were surprised how few people were out on weekend nights on 4th street and how few people we saw out during the weekend days downtown. We had brunch two of the days and walked in to highly reviewed restaurants with little to no wait. Louisville just didn’t see very busy or vibrant, and we were surprised how early a lot of the restaurants and bars closed. We ate dinner at 8:30 two of the nights we were there and the restaurants were deserted by 9. It seemed like they were literally closing up around us at 9:15. And one of those night was on 4th. So in the middle of this entertainment district the restaurants were dead by 9:30.

But there were some things we really liked:
Stayed at the downtown Omni and loved it. The marketplace on the first floor was great for lunch, a quick beer and snacks. The speakeasy bar that looks like a library was fun, but closed at midnight. The hotel is truly beautiful, and we loved the way they incorporated so much Louisville into the decor.

We loved the architecture and all the gorgeous churches.

We enjoyed the Slugger Museum and the Ali Center. University of Louisville campus was pretty. We did a fun bourbon tasting. And we loved Proof on Main.

We had a great weekend. We were just surprised by the lack of people, especially considering it was a nice summer weekend.

Old 08-11-2018, 01:54 PM

11,987 posts, read 10,678,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
My husband and I came to Louisville with another couple for a long weekend a few weeks ago. We liked it but were surprised how few people were out on weekend nights on 4th street and how few people we saw out during the weekend days downtown. We had brunch two of the days and walked in to highly reviewed restaurants with little to no wait. Louisville just didnít see very busy or vibrant, and we were surprised how early a lot of the restaurants and bars closed. We ate dinner at 8:30 two of the nights we were there and the restaurants were deserted by 9. It seemed like they were literally closing up around us at 9:15. And one of those night was on 4th. So in the middle of this entertainment district the restaurants were dead by 9:30.

But there were some things we really liked:
Stayed at the downtown Omni and loved it. The marketplace on the first floor was great for lunch, a quick beer and snacks. The speakeasy bar that looks like a library was fun, but closed at midnight. The hotel is truly beautiful, and we loved the way they incorporated so much Louisville into the decor.

We loved the architecture and all the gorgeous churches.

We enjoyed the Slugger Museum and the Ali Center. University of Louisville campus was pretty. We did a fun bourbon tasting. And we loved Proof on Main.

We had a great weekend. We were just surprised by the lack of people, especially considering it was a nice summer weekend.
If you would have been on Bardstown in the Highlands at 10 p.m. on a Friday night, it would have probably seemed booming to you. Locals donít really go to 4th Street Live, ever. There are no hotels in the Highlands, and itís too far from downtown to walk, so tourists donít usually make it over here. Thatís where the real nightlife happens though. Even St. Matthews, which is even further from downtown and more suburban, buzzes with energy and excitement in many parts... even on weeknights. If I would have come to Louisville as a tourist, I would have thought .. um, ok - nice enough but I donít think Iíll go back. As a resident though, I absolutely love this city. I would have to live in a much, much larger city and pay way more to get the same urban amenities, historic house, and walkable lifestyle I enjoy here.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
Downtown is NOT the main area for going out. That said, it’s highly unusual even there to be slow on a weekend. That was a RARE anomaly. The areas you saw weren’t the best part of Louisville by a long shot. Even downtown you missed Nulu, Butchertown, whiskey row.

The main late nightlife areas are Highlands and St Matthews where several bars stay open until 4 am. Nulu has a nice nightlife scene and I was out at Garage Bar and Taj that night which were totally packed so I really question where you went. Also all 4th street live restaurants are open until at least 10 pm on weekends and most serve til midnight. Again, your review isn’t factually accurate.

I’m a little wary of reviews like yours...it’s almost like you WANTED to find a dead town but that’s not the case for Louisville almost ever. Come back next week when Nelly is playing, or for Waterfront Wednesday or something and it looks like Chicago (well that’s a stretch but it’s very vibrant, similar to any southeast downtown or better than most)

Judging an entire city based on one night in one street? It’s not a good gauge. I went to Faneuil Hall in Boston on a Saturday once and it was a ghost town but I knew better than to judge Boston as dead.

Heck even downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville probably had live outdoor music...did you even walk the Big Four? It’s always packed.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Also I wanted to correct factual misinformation in ur post

Bourbon raw,Gordon Biersch, guy fieris all serve food til 11 or later on weekends. pizza bar serves until 2a minimum.

Thereís at least three bars there open late like Social, Tavern, PBR.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:30 PM

4,989 posts, read 4,485,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Also I wanted to correct factual misinformation in ur post

Bourbon raw,Gordon Biersch, guy fieris all serve food til 11 or later on weekends. pizza bar serves until 2a minimum.

Thereís at least three bars there open late like Social, Tavern, PBR.
Bourbon Raw was one of the restaurants where we ate, and they were sweeping up around us at 9:15. We were the last customers there when we left at 9:45 on a Saturday night.

We really enjoyed our trip, we were just surprised at the lack of people out.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:10 PM

355 posts, read 213,479 times
I wish Louisville Tourism would stop promoting 4th Street Live as much as they do. 4th street live is one of the most corporate feeling, shove down your throat tourist traps I have ever been too and it's sad that many tourists think it's the main attraction in Louisville.

As others have stated, the hopping area of town is Bardstown Road in the Highlands, a unique and vibrant, and somewhat quirky neighborhood and the city's main entertainment district.

NuLu just east of Downtown is also a mecca of restaurants and bars and is an awesome neighborhood to visit.

But I can also understand that many won't like visiting Louisville. I also agree that it is probably a better city to live in that to visit. It's not Nashville, but it has a lot going for it. The Bourbon industry has made it a hot spot for tourism currently.

Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Bourbon Raw was one of the restaurants where we ate, and they were sweeping up around us at 9:15. We were the last customers there when we left at 9:45 on a Saturday night.

We really enjoyed our trip, we were just surprised at the lack of people out.
The information you posted is materially false.

Bourbon Raw is open util 11 Pm, from their own website:
https://www.bourbonraw.com/reservations/

If they closed before 10 PM, it was the rarest of rare nights...or else common sense would state they'd close at 915 like you state. Do you think on average they sit there vacant for 2 hours? I am pretty sure you are aware you cannot judge an entire city by one lame tourist trap block on one random night of the year.

I am downtown with some regularity and the normalcy is it is usually jumping with activity. Yes, even compared to Nashville there are several blocks with as many pedestrian activities on many nights, and this will only accelerate now that the convention center is open. Bachelor and Bacherlotte parties galore, four of the drunk bike things driving up and down Main Street, etc. In spite of this, downtown is NOT Louisville's strength, so you missed the very best parts of the city. After all my and other's posts, that's ashame.

That said, I have also experienced a couple nights like you have, where the heart of downtown is unexplicably very quiet, so I don't doubt your experience. It's rare though. If you come on Aug 24 for the Nelly concert at 4th St, you'd feel like it was New Orleans.

That said, if you came to Louisville and came to 4th St live and only saw the museums on your visit, you missed 90% of the city. Doing what you did is like going to Nashville and missing Midtown, East Nashville, Germantown, 12 South, the Gulch, etc. You basically saw one block on Broadway, saw it on the rarest of off nights, and declared it a ghost town (in a nice way).

Bourbon Raw is dead because it's likely one of the very worst restaurants in the city. No self respecting local would ever go there. From my experience which I rarely if ever go to 4th St live unless walking through, I too have noticed Bourbon Raw is pretty dead. That's because the food is awful and Louisville is a foodie city. I was actually out tonight at Jack Fry's and asked a couple friends had they been to Bourbon Raw. One had never heard of it, and the other asked "isn't it a chain in 4th St disneyland?" And the Original Highlands was jumping on a Monday night, traffic, pedestrians, even the new Bird scooters zooming by. Louisville has integrated Bird scooters before almost any major middle American city so it's going to be great.

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-13-2018 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-06-2018, 10:24 AM

5,221 posts, read 5,573,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The information you posted is materially false.

Bourbon Raw is open util 11 Pm, from their own website:
https://www.bourbonraw.com/reservations/

If they closed before 10 PM, it was the rarest of rare nights...or else common sense would state they'd close at 915 like you state. Do you think on average they sit there vacant for 2 hours? I am pretty sure you are aware you cannot judge an entire city by one lame tourist trap block on one random night of the year.

I am downtown with some regularity and the normalcy is it is usually jumping with activity. Yes, even compared to Nashville there are several blocks with as many pedestrian activities on many nights, and this will only accelerate now that the convention center is open. Bachelor and Bacherlotte parties galore, four of the drunk bike things driving up and down Main Street, etc. In spite of this, downtown is NOT Louisville's strength, so you missed the very best parts of the city. After all my and other's posts, that's ashame.

That said, I have also experienced a couple nights like you have, where the heart of downtown is unexplicably very quiet, so I don't doubt your experience. It's rare though. If you come on Aug 24 for the Nelly concert at 4th St, you'd feel like it was New Orleans.

That said, if you came to Louisville and came to 4th St live and only saw the museums on your visit, you missed 90% of the city. Doing what you did is like going to Nashville and missing Midtown, East Nashville, Germantown, 12 South, the Gulch, etc. You basically saw one block on Broadway, saw it on the rarest of off nights, and declared it a ghost town (in a nice way).

Bourbon Raw is dead because it's likely one of the very worst restaurants in the city. No self respecting local would ever go there. From my experience which I rarely if ever go to 4th St live unless walking through, I too have noticed Bourbon Raw is pretty dead. That's because the food is awful and Louisville is a foodie city. I was actually out tonight at Jack Fry's and asked a couple friends had they been to Bourbon Raw. One had never heard of it, and the other asked "isn't it a chain in 4th St disneyland?" And the Original Highlands was jumping on a Monday night, traffic, pedestrians, even the new Bird scooters zooming by. Louisville has integrated Bird scooters before almost any major middle American city so it's going to be great.
I agree. Louisville is a fun city but don't look for a tourist form of nightlife Downtown especially like Nashville and Austin. Don't develop impressions based on 3 or 4 blocks of Downtown in any city.
Not every city is going to offer that experience. Even big city Chicago premiered nightlife areas are away from the DT loop area and yes it is tough to find some place to eat after 10pm during the week.

What I love to do is get hangout recommendations from locals before visiting. CD is fantastic for that. Also, everyone's idea of fun is different. Take that into consideration when planning your trip as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or