U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 07:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,182,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
Chicagoans here and often visitors to Louisville, the wife and I are seriously considering moving there but the wife thinks the shopping options are awful and we are not convinced its a boom town which we would prefer. Been following development news and know of a new downtown hotel as well as new residential being built in Highland, Nulu and Germantown but that seems to be the extent of it. This past Spring we drove down to Nashville and that is what I would call a real boomtown. New apartment and office towers galore and at least a dozen highrise construction cranes in and around downtown. My question is, why do people think Lou is lacking so much in new large scale developments in and around downtown compared to Nashville ? Lou is a large city, more ethnic diverse and historical but for reasons unknown to us, a bit more economically depressed. Your thoughts ???
Economically depressed? Far from it. Booming like Nashville? Not quite. But Louisville is in a mini boom. You are aware that about 75% of the blocks downtown have at least some construction/rehab, or new building proposed or currently under construction right? And Louisville has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the entire nation. That's not economically depressed to me at least:

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...ect-watch.html

80 projects over 3 million, many over 300 million apiece, and the article admits this is not everything. For every project listed there there are probably 10 rehabs of historic buildings under 3 million apiece, but this is how you grow a city, block by block.

For heaven's sake, just this week alone there was another 200-300 million proposal for three, 30-40 story skyscrapers overlooking a park that Nashville could only dream of as it was not a major city like Louisville in 1900:

Density, height of more than $200 million Grinstead Drive project raises concerns - Insider Louisville

So the question is, how long, and where have you been in Louisville? There are cranes and construction everywhere as noted in this article above! There are probably 6 cranes in downtown alone. Sure that's not the 15 or so I counted on a recent Nasvhille visit, but Louisville is in on the party now....and unlike Nashville, it is just starting here.

Louisville grows at a steady, healthy pace and has not outgrown its roads or transit (or lack thereof) like Nashville.

As you note, Louisvuille is a historically larger, more urban, and ethnically more diverse city. There are still deals on housing (although very very rare now!). Seriously, come up and try putting an offer on a house in a trendy area. Be prepared to pay list the first day or you will find yourself in a bidding war. Don't believe me? Talk to local realtors.

There is hearsay and a lot of trolls on this blog, and then there are cold, hard facts:

Louisville Real Estate Update: May 2016 - Louisville Homes Blog - Tre Pryor Founder & Editor

Louisville is a hot city right now.

And there is much more.

The biggest difference between Nashville and Louisville? Hype. Lots of it for Nashville, and none for Louisville. Some of Louisville's residents or former residents are its biggest enemies. They see it as a "small can't do town." But is that perception or reality? Louisville is a city that went asleep from roughly 1930-2000 or so. Almost a century. In the last 5 years, the growth has been very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 PM

4,273 posts, read 3,342,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
Chicagoans here and often visitors to Louisville, the wife and I are seriously considering moving there but the wife thinks the shopping options are awful and we are not convinced its a boom town which we would prefer. Been following development news and know of a new downtown hotel as well as new residential being built in Highland, Nulu and Germantown but that seems to be the extent of it. This past Spring we drove down to Nashville and that is what I would call a real boomtown. New apartment and office towers galore and at least a dozen highrise construction cranes in and around downtown. My question is, why do people think Lou is lacking so much in new large scale developments in and around downtown compared to Nashville ? Lou is a large city, more ethnic diverse and historical but for reasons unknown to us, a bit more economically depressed. Your thoughts ???
Louisville is not a boom town, and should not be compared to Nashville in that respect. However, Louisville is smaller and more urban with a great economy. I don't think Louisville has a lack of development at all. I think you should pay another visit to Louisville and get the proper tour from Peter or another resident that knows the place better. You may not convince your wife about the shopping options, but you can make the case with Cincinnati and Lexington being close by for more options. The city is only getting better with time.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Louisville is not a boom town, and should not be compared to Nashville in that respect. However, Louisville is smaller and more urban with a great economy. I don't think Louisville has a lack of development at all. I think you should pay another visit to Louisville and get the proper tour from Peter or another resident that knows the place better. You may not convince your wife about the shopping options, but you can make the case with Cincinnati and Lexington being close by for more options. The city is only getting better with time.
Louisville has the same shopping as any mid sized city. It is just laid out differently. There is no reason to go to Lexington for anything. Many from Lexington do however come to Louisville to shop, especially at the outlet mall.

Sure, compared to Chicago there is no Mag Mile and not tons of designer stores. There are the usuals like Tory Burch or Coach. there is Saks Off Fifth and Nordstrom Rack. There is even Gucci here.

Brands like Rebecca Minkoff, Luis Vuiton, St croix, ferragamo, eton, zegna, etc....they can all be found at several boutiques. Rodes is one:

Rodes For Him For Her

So probably, what your wife meant to say is the shopping is DIFFERENT....and perhaps more spread out in ways. And you must no which little boutiques to go to...but I am not sure I would say the shopping is awful. Far from it actually. Remember Louisville punches above its weight because of Derby, even if that is not your style.

Now, if her point was she went to one local mall like St Matthews and was not impressed...well I cnanot disagree. But collectively, if you know where to go, virtually any brand can be had here....besides with next day shipping, is this really the be all end all anymore?

For example, I personally think Louisville's Von Maur is better than Cincinnati's Nordstrom! Both upscale and nice, with less pieces on the rack, but Louisville's Von Maur has better stuff IMO or at least similar.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
Default Imo

Von Maur is not on the same level as Nordstrom and Cincinnati has a saks fifth store and a saks off fifth store a Nordstrom and Nordstrom rack as well as Indy and Columbus so not on the same level as every mid sized city

Old 06-29-2016, 11:59 AM

5,419 posts, read 8,210,342 times
Quote:
not convinced its a boom town which we would prefer
Kind of curious if there are reasons other than shopping you would prefer a boom town if jobs are comparable both places. Would your wife be satisfied with monthly shopping trips to Cincinnati, Indianapolis, or even Nashville?

Quote:
but for reasons unknown to us, a bit more economically depressed
Thing is, most US cities are economically depressed compared to Nashville. Who knows why Nashville suddenly became an "it" city. Having visited both, IMO the quality of life is better in Louisville.

Last edited by creeksitter; 06-29-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-29-2016, 06:01 PM

14,069 posts, read 9,796,392 times
Louisville is a nice city as far as reasonably priced and variety. Additionally, one of Louisville's added benefits is that it is in easy driving distance to Lexington and Cincinnati if you want something a little different, and if that isn't good enough Indianapolis is about 2 hours away. As a plus, driving around Louisville is a lot easier than Chicago or Nashville.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 06-30-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Louisville is a nice city as far as reasonably priced and variety. Additionally, one of Louisville's added benefits is that it is in easy driving distance to Lexington and Cincinnati if you want something a little different, and if that isn't good enough Indianapolis is about 2 hours away. As a plus, driving around Louisville is a lot easier than Chicago or Nashville.
No one is going to Lexington to shop from Louisville. Seriously no one.

Louisville has Saks off Fifth Nordstrom rack, all the major upscale grocery stores, and of the best outlet malls in the OH, KY and IN areas (and I hear they are building another next to it).

Many of the brands found at the very low grade Saks in dt Cincinnati which has limited hours and selection can be found spread among several boutiques in Louisville. Please see my post above. You just need to know where to go.

Louisville is also one of the inly cities to have a Gilt pop up store for one month every summer. The deals there are insane. I got a Safavino 4 piece patio furniture set with a retail of 2900 for 100 bucks. I met people there from all over the country. Also Louisville's Zappos (now Amazon) outlet also has great deals on designer stuff.

Louisville;s boutiques are too numerous to mention, but keep in mind the fashion sense here is higher than you'd think if only because of Derby

That said, I would say a few people drive to Cincinnati or Indy for Saks or Nordstrom, or possibly IKEA or Jungle Jim's in Cincy. Other than that, Louisville has everything you need...you just have to know where to look! So while it's true that no one single mall in Louisville is that impressive, the combined retail scene is fine.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:35 PM

14,069 posts, read 9,796,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No one is going to Lexington to shop from Louisville. Seriously no one.

Louisville has Saks off Fifth Nordstrom rack, all the major upscale grocery stores, and of the best outlet malls in the OH, KY and IN areas (and I hear they are building another next to it).

Many of the brands found at the very low grade Saks in dt Cincinnati which has limited hours and selection can be found spread among several boutiques in Louisville. Please see my post above. You just need to know where to go.

Louisville is also one of the inly cities to have a Gilt pop up store for one month every summer. The deals there are insane. I got a Safavino 4 piece patio furniture set with a retail of 2900 for 100 bucks. I met people there from all over the country. Also Louisville's Zappos (now Amazon) outlet also has great deals on designer stuff.

Louisville;s boutiques are too numerous to mention, but keep in mind the fashion sense here is higher than you'd think if only because of Derby

That said, I would say a few people drive to Cincinnati or Indy for Saks or Nordstrom, or possibly IKEA or Jungle Jim's in Cincy. Other than that, Louisville has everything you need...you just have to know where to look! So while it's true that no one single mall in Louisville is that impressive, the combined retail scene is fine.
That's funny, because my aunt and cousins do all the time and I did about once a month when I lived there. Different strokes for different folks and there are some unique shops in every city. Heck, when I lived in Louisville, friends and I drove down to Paducah about 3-4 times a year to go to some particular shops. Fortunately, one isn't confined to only shopping where you live and Louisville is a pleasant drive to multiple places.

But, yes, Louisville has fine shopping opportunities.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 07-01-2016, 11:13 AM

922 posts, read 1,405,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Economically depressed? Far from it. Booming like Nashville? Not quite. But Louisville is in a mini boom. You are aware that about 75% of the blocks downtown have at least some construction/rehab, or new building proposed or currently under construction right? And Louisville has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the entire nation. That's not economically depressed to me at least:

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...ect-watch.html

80 projects over 3 million, many over 300 million apiece, and the article admits this is not everything. For every project listed there there are probably 10 rehabs of historic buildings under 3 million apiece, but this is how you grow a city, block by block.

For heaven's sake, just this week alone there was another 200-300 million proposal for three, 30-40 story skyscrapers overlooking a park that Nashville could only dream of as it was not a major city like Louisville in 1900:

Density, height of more than $200 million Grinstead Drive project raises concerns - Insider Louisville

So the question is, how long, and where have you been in Louisville? There are cranes and construction everywhere as noted in this article above! There are probably 6 cranes in downtown alone. Sure that's not the 15 or so I counted on a recent Nasvhille visit, but Louisville is in on the party now....and unlike Nashville, it is just starting here.

Louisville grows at a steady, healthy pace and has not outgrown its roads or transit (or lack thereof) like Nashville.

As you note, Louisvuille is a historically larger, more urban, and ethnically more diverse city. There are still deals on housing (although very very rare now!). Seriously, come up and try putting an offer on a house in a trendy area. Be prepared to pay list the first day or you will find yourself in a bidding war. Don't believe me? Talk to local realtors.

There is hearsay and a lot of trolls on this blog, and then there are cold, hard facts:

Louisville Real Estate Update: May 2016 - Louisville Homes Blog - Tre Pryor Founder & Editor

Louisville is a hot city right now.

And there is much more.

The biggest difference between Nashville and Louisville? Hype. Lots of it for Nashville, and none for Louisville. Some of Louisville's residents or former residents are its biggest enemies. They see it as a "small can't do town." But is that perception or reality? Louisville is a city that went asleep from roughly 1930-2000 or so. Almost a century. In the last 5 years, the growth has been very strong.
To suggest that Louisville and Nashville are the same except for the "hype" is absurd.

The OPs perception is an accurate one. Why you always refer back to 1890 or "historically" large cities is beyond me, considering Atlanta was a blip on the radar 125 years ago. Several large, important cities in the western USA did not even exist then. Conversely, many important cities back then are small and much less important. So that point means absolutely nothing.

To say that Nashville (as if a city is one person) would "only dream of" a $200-400 million project is laughable, as there are three well underway downtown as I type this. Namely, they are the Capitol View, Second Avenue/Northern Capital, and JWM/Crescent projects, all multi-tower and all funded. Then there are two proposals that are moving forward that exceed $400 million. Conversely, the larger projects on the Louisville list are either vaguely defined (TBA, NA, TBD or with completion dates far off into the future) or publicly funded. Hardly a sign of a robust R/E sector. I did not see a single large $100+ million project downtown that was not funded, at least partly, by taxes.

Compare to Nashville's list: http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...ane-watch.html Altogether there are 9 towers of 25+ stories currently under construction downtown. And there are an additional 7 of 10-21 stories under construction. These aren't even the proposals that are considerably better defined (Old Convention Center and Northern Capital and Endeavor) and most already funded than the largest proposals on the Louisville list. Not to mention the block after block of urban style apartments (more than $1.5 billion underway now) just in downtown. In G'town alone there are over 2000 apartments under construction and an additional 1000 in six contiguous blocks. All to support the fourth fastest growing big city in the USA. They have been going up nonstop for more than a decade with a brief two year hiatus during the recession; as compared to Louisville's which you noted "just started". The above does not even include the widespread boom happening in the inner neighborhoods, including the Green Hills neighborhood.

And as the OP mentioned, Nashville's shopping options are more extensive than Louisville's. Just in one mall alone, there are over a dozen high-end stores that are not even in Louisville. Once again, that is a reflection of a metro area that has nearly 600,000 more residents and growing at a rate three times faster.

So the OP's perception is accurate.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM

15 posts, read 11,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That's funny, because my aunt and cousins do all the time and I did about once a month when I lived there. Different strokes for different folks and there are some unique shops in every city. Heck, when I lived in Louisville, friends and I drove down to Paducah about 3-4 times a year to go to some particular shops. Fortunately, one isn't confined to only shopping where you live and Louisville is a pleasant drive to multiple places.

But, yes, Louisville has fine shopping opportunities.
Agree with this. Different strokes. I know people in Louisville who come to Lexington for shopping and dining and events. It's okay if you don't but don't make blanket statements about the entire city. It's that snobbery toward the rest of the state that builds up people's attitudes towards Louisville. You're in Kentucky too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area