U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:11 PM

924 posts, read 1,416,927 times

Advertisements

And this was where I came in. Carousel goes round, and round it goes. Where it stops, nobody knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 AM

1,131 posts, read 811,060 times
I'll throw in my $0.02.

I visited Nashville for the first time in a few years this past Thursday. We stayed at a hotel in Hendersonville (northeast suburbia) and visited downtown and "The Gulch" area to meet with my wife's girlfriend before going to see comedian Louis CK at Bridgestone Arena. I had been to Nashville previously for work and stayed at Opryland hotel and visited eclectic East Nashville with a few co-workers while killing time waiting for flights out of BNA.

I love Louisville - I moved back here after being away for 18 years for a reason. Nashville has an "it" factor that Louisville just doesn't have though. It's not just hype. I believe the entertainment industry being so prominent there is what draws millennials there, and Louisville businesses just can't compete with that type of "coolness". My wife and her gf are both millennials and her gf lives in The Gulch, a very new and very sanitized area of downtown that just doesn't exist in many core areas these days, especially in this section of the country. Hendersonville was also quite nice and the roads were wide and traffic was set up well. The interstate system in Kentucky and freeway interchanges are outdated (as someone said above). That and the terrible KY drivers make for the reason why my car insurance premiums doubled after moving to Louisville from a major city (San Francisco).

My wife's girlfriend also is an entertainment lawyer and moved there after they both grew up in West Palm Beach, FL and finished college. My wife likes Nashville, but thinks it's too much and prefers the slower pace that Louisville offers, despite liking the shiny, new stuff that Nashville has.

The biggest problem I have noticed with Louisville right now is that the real estate market is a bit over-priced right now. This is a great time to sell if you're looking to sell, but Louisville has never really been much of a transient city, despite its size. With not a ton of people leaving, not a ton of new SFH construction in the city limits and some new people moving in with Humana/Aetna (among a few others), we have a housing shortage issue. I'm probably renting for another 2-3 years in hopes that the market corrects itself.

My wife likes newer houses and I don't trust new construction, so we're at a bit of an impasse there, especially when all brick houses with basements built in the last 5-10 years seem to start around $300k in a decent area of town.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:11 PM

6,313 posts, read 13,236,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I'll throw in my $0.02.

I visited Nashville for the first time in a few years this past Thursday. We stayed at a hotel in Hendersonville (northeast suburbia) and visited downtown and "The Gulch" area to meet with my wife's girlfriend before going to see comedian Louis CK at Bridgestone Arena. I had been to Nashville previously for work and stayed at Opryland hotel and visited eclectic East Nashville with a few co-workers while killing time waiting for flights out of BNA.

I love Louisville - I moved back here after being away for 18 years for a reason. Nashville has an "it" factor that Louisville just doesn't have though. It's not just hype. I believe the entertainment industry being so prominent there is what draws millennials there, and Louisville businesses just can't compete with that type of "coolness". My wife and her gf are both millennials and her gf lives in The Gulch, a very new and very sanitized area of downtown that just doesn't exist in many core areas these days, especially in this section of the country. Hendersonville was also quite nice and the roads were wide and traffic was set up well. The interstate system in Kentucky and freeway interchanges are outdated (as someone said above). That and the terrible KY drivers make for the reason why my car insurance premiums doubled after moving to Louisville from a major city (San Francisco).

My wife's girlfriend also is an entertainment lawyer and moved there after they both grew up in West Palm Beach, FL and finished college. My wife likes Nashville, but thinks it's too much and prefers the slower pace that Louisville offers, despite liking the shiny, new stuff that Nashville has.

The biggest problem I have noticed with Louisville right now is that the real estate market is a bit over-priced right now. This is a great time to sell if you're looking to sell, but Louisville has never really been much of a transient city, despite its size. With not a ton of people leaving, not a ton of new SFH construction in the city limits and some new people moving in with Humana/Aetna (among a few others), we have a housing shortage issue. I'm probably renting for another 2-3 years in hopes that the market corrects itself.

My wife likes newer houses and I don't trust new construction, so we're at a bit of an impasse there, especially when all brick houses with basements built in the last 5-10 years seem to start around $300k in a decent area of town.

Louisville is expensive bc Nashville's urban neighborhoods cannot come close to Louisville's. Louisville was a major city in 1900. Nashville really was not.

I am not sure I deny Nashville is more flashy. The downtown is better. But the urban neighborhoods really cannot compete. And what will happen with all these 4 story box apartments with trendy names in 20 years? They will look alot like corn ave in Louisville.

That said, Louisville is developing its own Gulch. I have heard several say it could very will be a midrise version.

A 2.72-acre property in NuLu finds a buyer - Insider Louisville

There are dozens of projects going on in Nulu as we speak.

That said, Nashville has nothing like the Highlands, and honestly nothing like Crescent Hill, Clifton, etc.
The flashiness, sure. But the authentic urbanity....it cannot be recreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area