U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 06:44 PM

79 posts, read 81,204 times

Advertisements

Chicagoans here and often visitors to Louisville, the wife and I are seriously considering moving there but the wife thinks the shopping options are awful and we are not convinced its a boom town which we would prefer. Been following development news and know of a new downtown hotel as well as new residential being built in Highland, Nulu and Germantown but that seems to be the extent of it. This past Spring we drove down to Nashville and that is what I would call a real boomtown. New apartment and office towers galore and at least a dozen highrise construction cranes in and around downtown. My question is, why do people think Lou is lacking so much in new large scale developments in and around downtown compared to Nashville ? Lou is a large city, more ethnic diverse and historical but for reasons unknown to us, a bit more economically depressed. Your thoughts ???
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 06:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,825,574 times
There are multiple opportunities and depending on occupation, there is always remote capabilities.

Google whiskey row redevelopment. It's the next thing downtown. Plus the suburbs are urban sprawl

Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 AM

79 posts, read 81,204 times
Yeah we checked out Whisky row last time we were in town but still a very small development compared to all the development going on in Nashville

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM

9,591 posts, read 20,488,364 times
Tennessee has a better tax structure, including no income tax.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:55 AM

2,391 posts, read 3,872,665 times
Have you checked out "Norton Commons"~? It is near Costco in eastern Jefferson County. It's built on the concept of the "Highlands" of walk-ability. It is it's own town with their own restaurants, bank, pet groom shop, coffee shop, dog park, kids park etc. They even have an amphitheater where they put on music events there every month. Oh, I forgot the farmers market they have and they are building their own public school there. And....they have their own fire department and police. It is an unique area and you should check it out. Being where it is located your near "The Paddock" which was called "The Summit" with high end shopping as well as book store, BBB as well as great restaurants~!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:00 PM

292 posts, read 235,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Tennessee has a better tax structure, including no income tax.
That don't make too much of a difference for the entire state. Just look at Memphis.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:00 PM

272 posts, read 353,163 times
I would give Louisville a second chance on the shopping criteria! For a city of its size, I found the shopping options to be on par with much larger cities ..

Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 AM

7,100 posts, read 3,798,017 times
The weather is horrible, if you care about that as well as shopping.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:11 PM

587 posts, read 409,779 times
Being a Nashville resident of 4 years (who has looked at Louisville a couple of times), I will say Nashville is definitely a BOOM town. But with that comes the horrible traffic that is getting worse, and in Nashville's case, the brutally hot summers. I'm from Ohio originally, and I often miss the lack of snow... though I don't miss the shorter winter months. My experience with Nashville has been that it's grown to be a very popular city because of it's "music" oriented culture... as well as gotten job help from the healthcare business (which is booming here). But really, most younger people I know of, that don't live here, see Nashville as a 'icon' city. It's a "cool place, hip, young, and urban". The media and especially social media I think have helped it's identity quite a bit.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:14 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,954,148 times
Nashville has tax on groceries. It has a lot more unpleasantly hot days than Louisville. It's often unpleasantly hot all night. Louisville summer mornings tend to be pleasant. Louisville is just big enough to be a nice big city but not big enough to be a traffic nightmare, except during road construction sometimes, and some particular intersections that are easily avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area