U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,213,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Agreed. Mark's is terrible. To be honest, even though I know for sure Louisville is a top 20 foodie city....there is better Vietnamese and Korean than there is barbeque! Surprising I know, but I am underwhelmed at many places.

That said, some great ones are:

1 Hammerhead's (not a BBQ place per so but no one has better ribs and pork, and it is not even close)
2 Doc Crow's a bit touristy, but totally legit
3 Smoketown BBQ
4Feast
5 Momma's Mustard, Pickles and BBQ (probably the closest to SC low country locally)

I would put Mark's right up there with chains like Red Lobster, etc. I do not mean to sound rude but please avoid those places in Louisville. There is simply too much good food to do that. Try something new. Please let us know if we can help.
I haven't tried Feast, because I don't get across the river much. I agree Smoketown is great, too, but wasn't intending to get into a debate about which restaurant has the best barbecue. I disagree that Mark's is "terrible," and still suggest that for a family, it's a great combination of really good food and a fun experience.

Momma's, on the other hand, you couldn't pay me to eat at. I've been there three times, and never had a particularly good meal. The meat was dry and tough, and steeped in pickle juice. I find Mark's far preferable - the meat is always moist and juicy, and as you bite into it you can taste the layers of flavor that you should find in good barbecue. From those three disappointing attempts, I've come to suspect that Momma's is just one of those "foody" places that you're supposed to like to prove you're hip.

But, to each their own. One of the nice things about living in the South is that no matter where you find yourself, you're always close to some good options for barbecue. In a city the size of Louisville, there's something for every taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:07 PM

723 posts, read 1,082,758 times
Wanted to update now that we are back home.
What a great city Louisville is! Downtown is beautiful and lively. Also, seems very safe, not once did I feel the need to race up our walking or anything. We never ventured out of downtown for dinner as it was pre-determined by her employer for us (LOL). We had:
Gordon Biersch: very good
English Grill at the Brown: very good but way too pricey
Marketplace Restaurant: good, but overpriced
Bristol Grille on Main: not good and overpriced

The zoo wasn't as good as we had hoped. It is very spread out and many animals were not visible in the exhibit. University of Louisville was a nice, urban campus. Great athletic facilities. Louisville Slugger Museum was fun. Louisville Slugger Field is a beautiful ball park! What a great setting for a game! Waterfront Park is large, however the Forecsstle Festival meant there was some not-so-toddler friendly people and vibes around the park.

The Brown Hotel was amazing and very toddler friendly, we really enjoyed our stay. It was nice that 4th Street Live was only a short walk. The people that work there are probably the friendliest, warmest hotel staff I've ever seen.

Thank you all and enjoy your beautiful city!

Old 07-17-2016, 02:13 PM

6,313 posts, read 13,240,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Wanted to update now that we are back home.
What a great city Louisville is! Downtown is beautiful and lively. Also, seems very safe, not once did I feel the need to race up our walking or anything. We never ventured out of downtown for dinner as it was pre-determined by her employer for us (LOL). We had:
Gordon Biersch: very good
English Grill at the Brown: very good but way too pricey
Marketplace Restaurant: good, but overpriced
Bristol Grille on Main: not good and overpriced

The zoo wasn't as good as we had hoped. It is very spread out and many animals were not visible in the exhibit. University of Louisville was a nice, urban campus. Great athletic facilities. Louisville Slugger Museum was fun. Louisville Slugger Field is a beautiful ball park! What a great setting for a game! Waterfront Park is large, however the Forecsstle Festival meant there was some not-so-toddler friendly people and vibes around the park.

The Brown Hotel was amazing and very toddler friendly, we really enjoyed our stay. It was nice that 4th Street Live was only a short walk. The people that work there are probably the friendliest, warmest hotel staff I've ever seen.

Thank you all and enjoy your beautiful city!
Great review which is spot on. Those who say dt is not lively have not been in years.

That said, I am sorry you missed the neighborhoods. Dt is average, but places like the Highlands are so special that a similar neighborhood cannot even be found in a sub 2 million metro.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:37 PM

723 posts, read 1,082,758 times
I remember going to Old Louisville, Audubon, and another I can't remember (off Poplar Level Road). Other than my GPS first putting me at the Big 4 in Jeffersonville and not the Louisville side, that's as much venturing away we did.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:36 PM

6,313 posts, read 13,240,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
I remember going to Old Louisville, Audubon, and another I can't remember (off Poplar Level Road). Other than my GPS first putting me at the Big 4 in Jeffersonville and not the Louisville side, that's as much venturing away we did.
ok Audubon and Old Louisville are nice but not the top neighborhoods...Glad you saw some though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or