U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:10 PM

724 posts, read 1,084,442 times

Advertisements

My wife is attending a conference in Louisville July 12-16 and my son and I are coming along. We are staying at the Brown Hotel. My wife will be busy from 9-3, so looking for things my son (2 and a half) can do. I've been told Louisville Slugger and the zoo. What else? Also, what are some things to do and places to eat as a family after 5pm? Looking forward to our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:44 PM

9,612 posts, read 20,566,709 times
Brown Motel is downtown. The is a cluster of museums along West Main where you could park one place and walk to all of them. Slugger Museum. Frazier History Museum (huge antique gun collection, better for adults than kids), Muhammad Ali Center, Glassworks Museum, and Louisville Science Center with IMAX are all down there. If your son likes fossils there is a huge fossil bed across from downtown in Clarksville Indiana with a small museum (Falls of Ohio State Park), if you bring binoculars it's also a great place to bird watch. Waterfront Park and the Big 4 pedestrian bridge are nice, they have bike rentals. The zoo is nice. I've heard good things about Henry's Ark petting zoo in Prospect KY. There are too many local restaurants to name and all the usual national chain ones too. There is a restaurant in New Albany (Pizza King) where a model train brings out drinks and every both has a tv with video games (bring quarters).

Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM

6,323 posts, read 3,627,161 times
Hi! Welcome to the Bluegrass state! I hope you have a pleasant trip! Your Son will love the Zoo.
He is probably a bit too young for Kentucky Kingdom

You might want to stop by the Louisville Waterfront Park - not real far from where you are staying.

Home - louisvillewaterfront.com

While there you might want to check out the Pedestrian Bridge - where you can walk across the Great Ohio River to Indiana and back (approx. 2 mile trip, so you might want to bring a baby carriage).

And while you are there you can take a ride back into time on the Belle Of Louisville

Finding Fun Things to Do With Toddlers in Louisville

Don't forget the Science Center (a great place for kids 0 -7 explore and build! And Louisville has probably the best park system in the Country imo. and you might want to check out the Louisville Nature Center.

https://louisvilleky.gov/government/parks

It's been awhile since I have dined with a child, so I will leave you these links about places to eat in Louisville that are kid friendly. (Chucky E Cheese is usually a pleaser.)

Top 10 Family Restaurants for Kids: Lou's List Series : GoToLouisville.com Official Travel Source

Best Kid friendly restaurant in Louisville, KY

Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 PM

14,135 posts, read 9,918,010 times
For food, if you have a car, you ought to give Tom & Chee (I believe it's off Bardstown Road) a try. My little great-nephews love that place and it also has adult versions of the good old tomato soup & grilled cheese. The thing you really need to try there, though, is the grilled donut. It is a unique dessert that, in my personal opinion, everyone ought to try at least once.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM

6,320 posts, read 13,255,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
My wife is attending a conference in Louisville July 12-16 and my son and I are coming along. We are staying at the Brown Hotel. My wife will be busy from 9-3, so looking for things my son (2 and a half) can do. I've been told Louisville Slugger and the zoo. What else? Also, what are some things to do and places to eat as a family after 5pm? Looking forward to our trip.
Where do you eat in your hometown? Louisville is a top 20 foodie city and there ARE places you can take a toddler.

If you give me links to restaurants you enjoy at home, I can better assist.

The list above is a good start I think. There is, of course, much more to do as well.

I would certainly take a stroll along Bardstown Road or Frankfort Ave. To do this, start at Eyedia design store on Baxter Ave, and walk south along baxter, veering to the left when you get to the fork in the road with Yangkee Noodle in the middle (a good fast casual asian concept).

For Frankfort Ave, start at the North End Cafe, maybe for breakfast, and walk south along Frankfort Ave. Definitely a neat area with small boutiques, restaurants, antique stores, etc.

Having toddlers before, I know breakfast is important. That's why if staying downtown, I would check out the Nulu area east of downtown for breakfast at Toast or Ghyslain. They may not look it, but both are toddler and high chair friendly. Another dinner spot in Nulu that is outstanding that may not look toddler friendly but definitely is, is Harvest. In that area you can even buy your toddler a "hipster" t-shirt with one of the city neighborhood names on it at Oso in the Magnolia Photo Booth building.

If it rains alot, there are several indoor fun parks/play areas. A few in the the east suburbs are Main Event Entertainment (more of an older kids place like Dave and Buster's) and Malibu Jacks (they have a separate indoor play area). I hear great stuff about Puzzle's Fun Dome, also in that Blankenbaker suburb, but have never been.

Oxmoor mall has a small but free play area near the Sears wing...also good for a rainy day when you cannot contain a toddler in a small hotel room.

But near downtown, definitely do the Big Four Bridge walk (and the huge splash playground nearby it). Definitely do the museums...the Slugger and the Science Center at least. You could do the Muhammad Ali, Frazier History, or Evan Williams bourbon museum as adults. In that museum row area, Proof on Main or Atlantic No. 5 are two other places that may not look kid friendly but are for lunch. Or you may prefer the mexican place (It think it is sol aztecas) on 5th and main for lunch in that area. I also think the Falls of the Ohio State Park in Indiana is a good idea.

Please note that Louisville has ridiculously good 4 and 5 star restaurants, so if you can afford a sitter and want to take your wife out, I'd recommend it. Let me know how we can help.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:45 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,629,162 times
It's not Louisville but La Grange is only about 25 miles away. It has some great train action
and it's one of the few places in the country where they have "street running". Since your
son is so young I'm not sure he will understand or enjoy it but just a FWIW. I made the nine
hour trip there last weekend just for that. I photographed/videoed trains for a day then drove
back. It was everything I imagined and more. The town is so cool and the people were so nice,
I can't wait to go back!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:09 AM

9,827 posts, read 7,765,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
It's not Louisville but La Grange is only about 25 miles away. It has some great train action
and it's one of the few places in the country where they have "street running". Since your
son is so young I'm not sure he will understand or enjoy it but just a FWIW. I made the nine
hour trip there last weekend just for that. I photographed/videoed trains for a day then drove
back. It was everything I imagined and more. The town is so cool and the people were so nice,
I can't wait to go back!
There is also a very cool toy shop in La Grange, with those said trains running down Main Street right outside the door. Whether you take a two-and-a-half-year-old depends on how grabby he is, and how he reacts to the word "No"...but allowing him to look around while you hold his hand, and perhaps purchasing some simple, classic toy for him, might be fun for all. Prices here range widely.

I think there is still a nice coffee shop across the street nearby, with baked goods, juices and hot chocolate for a quick pick-me-up, toddler style.

Don't forget playgrounds in most of Louisville's city parks. Sometimes (often!) the simplest pleasures are the best for little ones.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:37 AM

6,320 posts, read 13,255,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
There is also a very cool toy shop in La Grange, with those said trains running down Main Street right outside the door. Whether you take a two-and-a-half-year-old depends on how grabby he is, and how he reacts to the word "No"...but allowing him to look around while you hold his hand, and perhaps purchasing some simple, classic toy for him, might be fun for all. Prices here range widely.

I think there is still a nice coffee shop across the street nearby, with baked goods, juices and hot chocolate for a quick pick-me-up, toddler style.

Don't forget playgrounds in most of Louisville's city parks. Sometimes (often!) the simplest pleasures are the best for little ones.
This is a good point, Craig...I would recommend a trip to Cherokee Park while in the Bardstown Rd area.

There is a part there called Hogan's fountain. They have a "tepee" where you can grill out and watch your toddler run through the large fountain.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:55 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,226,162 times
Can't come to Kentucky without eating barbecue at least once. I'd suggest Mark's Feed Store on Shelbyville Road. They have several locations, but that's my favorite, and it's probably the most kid friendly. In fact, they have some special "kid's night" thing on Tuesdays, which is why i never go on Tuesday. But if I were 2 and a half years old, i would definitely want to go. I don't remember what it is, free ice cream or free barbecue or something. But anyway, it's a fun atmosphere for kids, and the food is fantastic. Tell 'em you're from out of town and it's your first time there, and they'll give you a free bottle of sauce to take home.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:37 PM

9,612 posts, read 20,566,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Can't come to Kentucky without eating barbecue at least once. I'd suggest Mark's Feed Store on Shelbyville Road. They have several locations, but that's my favorite, and it's probably the most kid friendly. In fact, they have some special "kid's night" thing on Tuesdays, which is why i never go on Tuesday. But if I were 2 and a half years old, i would definitely want to go. I don't remember what it is, free ice cream or free barbecue or something. But anyway, it's a fun atmosphere for kids, and the food is fantastic. Tell 'em you're from out of town and it's your first time there, and they'll give you a free bottle of sauce to take home.
The one in New Albany - maybe every location - has free deserts on Mondays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or