U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 AM

14,082 posts, read 9,807,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
One thing that will always make Louisville stand out is that for a low COL you get a plethora of housing choices. While I've got a good thing going in DC, I'm now in a field that has a number of jobs in Louisville and I have connections there. Maybe in 3-4 years, I may give Louisville another shot.
We are on a house scouting expedition this week in the area. After 4 years in Northern Virginia the housing prices here are low enough to just make you giddy. The cheaper eats are an added bonus.

Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 08:34 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,759,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
It's been awhile since I've been on the forums, my wife and relocated to the San Francisco area in Feb.for my job relocation. I've been here for about 6 months now, and boy do I miss home. We were living in New Albany and then Floyds Knobs for a long time before this move happened. Both grew up in So.Indiana and worked in Louisville.

Since moving, I really miss the small things back home. The biggest, is the privacy. There's no such thing out here, we live in a very nice part of town about 40 miles east of SF in Pleasant Hill, and pay $1900 for a nice 2 bed 1 bath apartment. No such thing as land, or privacy though anywhere around here. I miss going to my family's farm in Corydon, IN on 180 acres and just relaxing, hiking in the woods and being by the good ole Blue River.

The people out here are downright terrible to be frank. They feel like they're better than everyone for whatever reason, very snobby. No such thing as guns either. Not a single gun shop within the city limits of SF. Luckily we are outside SF so I still have mine, but people do not like them at all. Definitely miss the nice people back home who didn't care about how much money people had.

The plan is to be out here for 2-3 years then relocate back east, hopefully back to the Louisville area. If not Louisville, at least somewhere within 6-8 hours. Maybe NC, SC, or Virginia. Time will tell. Enjoy being "home", we took it for granted and miss the heck out of it.
Nice post. If you do relocate back to middle America I suggest that you avoid the Kansas City region and also the Indianapolis area if you value your privacy. In both regions I noted that people really get into your business and try to force their way into your personal life. I like to be alone and value my private space and time but I constantly have people screwing with me and violating my private space and time when I have lived in both regions.

I'm originally from Connecticut and people in New England generally don't try to get into your private life unless you let them in and don't usually violate your personal space or property. The same cannot be said for many areas of the Midwest. Louisville being more of a southern city has less of those negative aspects despite being on the border of Indiana. Even southern IN is different compared to central IN.

While I don't live in Louisville or the area right now I am keeping it in mind if my next move to the KY side of Cincinnati does not go as planned. Over the years I've had a few people recommend Louisville and the area in general as a place where people are less inclined to try to force their way into your life.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We are on a house scouting expedition this week in the area. After 4 years in Northern Virginia the housing prices here are low enough to just make you giddy. The cheaper eats are an added bonus.

Before you commit to purchase a home be sure to run some auto insurance quotes at the properties that interest you. A while back on two separate occasions I decided to check on the price of auto insurance for my car at a few different properties in the city of Louisville and I was shocked to see how high they were. Almost twice as high as I am currently paying in the Kansas City area and at least 50% higher than I was paying in Indianapolis. I currently have a home in Covington, KY which is near Cincinnati and there too the auto insurance rates are quite a bit higher than both the KC and Indy regions.

KY appears to be a costly state to insure a car for most people. I've heard this from more than one person. Not sure why either. Maybe someone in KY can chime in and let us know what the cause of this is?

Old 07-26-2016, 02:05 PM

23,019 posts, read 31,984,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Before you commit to purchase a home be sure to run some auto insurance quotes at the properties that interest you. A while back on two separate occasions I decided to check on the price of auto insurance for my car at a few different properties in the city of Louisville and I was shocked to see how high they were. Almost twice as high as I am currently paying in the Kansas City area and at least 50% higher than I was paying in Indianapolis. I currently have a home in Covington, KY which is near Cincinnati and there too the auto insurance rates are quite a bit higher than both the KC and Indy regions.

KY appears to be a costly state to insure a car for most people. I've heard this from more than one person. Not sure why either. Maybe someone in KY can chime in and let us know what the cause of this is?
I will preface my comment to say I'm with USAA as my insurance company which does things different from the other big insurance companies. I moved from VA to KY back to VA and there wasn't a big difference for my insurance. One factor is that Kentucky does not require yearly inspections on cars which will put more dangerous less roadworthy cars on the road. Another is that KY is a higher tornado risk state than most of the country.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I will preface my comment to say I'm with USAA as my insurance company which does things different from the other big insurance companies. I moved from VA to KY back to VA and there wasn't a big difference for my insurance. One factor is that Kentucky does not require yearly inspections on cars which will put more dangerous less roadworthy cars on the road. Another is that KY is a higher tornado risk state than most of the country.
MO has a minimal inspection process after a car is at least five years old. Very basic inspection. IN does not have one that I recall.

I checked with a friend in CT that owns a Insurance Agency. He was a bit puzzled too and was not quite sure what the issue could be.

Old 07-26-2016, 04:35 PM

4,754 posts, read 1,823,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
That may be good for you as I predict Louisville will be "grown up" enough by 2020 to support some of your tastes, without the hassle. I really believe its current transformation, which is just beginning, will be astounding. It is exciting to watch
For me, the growth is driving me OUT of Louisville. Thankfully I no longer work downtown but if I did, with all the darn construction.... once this contract is up I'm looking at SC.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,189,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
For me, the growth is driving me OUT of Louisville. Thankfully I no longer work downtown but if I did, with all the darn construction.... once this contract is up I'm looking at SC.
lol....aw its not too bad...although what the heck with all the traffic? I lived in Louisville in the early 90s and I remember flying around. Am I Imagining things? Then again, Louisville in 1990 felt more like Little Rock or something.

Today's Louisville is a booming medium large city. I am still not sure many people know this yet.
BTW SC and especially charleston, while a smaller town, is getting crazy crowded and growing faster than Louisville.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 AM

9,590 posts, read 20,477,839 times
Seems like car insurance rates are heavily tied to state laws. Indiana has a 'no fault' law that makes insurance a lot cheaper.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 AM

14,082 posts, read 9,807,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post

Yeah, we came to that realization when we lived here before. It's not just Louisville, someone from our insurance company told my husband one of the factors, if you were getting anything beyond just liability coverage, was that Kentucky has a larger number than the national average of uninsured motorists. Another factor is some of Kentucky's laws. But still.... A $45/month increase in car insurance is well worth a $1400-1600/month decrease in mortgage payments, even when losing about $700/month in COL pay.

Last time we thought we were getting to come back his transfer orders got pulled, I am just praying that doesn't happen again. I am so excited to be coming back home.
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville

Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 AM

236 posts, read 215,242 times
To the OP, try your best to keep an open mind. You moved to a place that has an entirely different culture. Sorry to be so direct, but to not embrace where you currently live is not much different than the people there who are snobby. The culture may or may not be a fit for who you are as a person, but at least try to make peace with and somewhat embrace the local culture and acknowledge it's positives as well as it's negatives.

I've moved several times and around months 4-8 being in a place are always a bit depressing. It sounds like you're on the right track taking advantage of the great National Parks out there. Hang in there! Things will get better if you stay positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area