U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1813 View Post
To the OP, try your best to keep an open mind. You moved to a place that has an entirely different culture. Sorry to be so direct, but to not embrace where you currently live is not much different than the people there who are snobby. The culture may or may not be a fit for who you are as a person, but at least try to make peace with and somewhat embrace the local culture and acknowledge it's positives as well as it's negatives.

I've moved several times and around months 4-8 being in a place are always a bit depressing. It sounds like you're on the right track taking advantage of the great National Parks out there. Hang in there! Things will get better if you stay positive.
I try to keep an open mind, but the types of people out here make you miss the type of people in Kentucky. Total opposites. Night & Day difference. People out here won't give you any time of day if you ask a simple question. And when they hear my "Kentucky accent" I'm automatically judged.

But hey, not a big deal. Just makes me more grateful for the type of people I had around back home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,586,957 times
Default I Don't Miss Home

It's been one year since moving from Louisville. We lived in Lake Forest for 7 years and I don't miss it. I don't miss the ice storms, power outages, snow, cold, heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and the state income tax as well as the city tax. I don't miss maintaining a huge home on half an acre. We retired to Las Vegas and after having been here for a year my only regret is that we had to wait so long to move. Many plusses and very few negatives for us. Lower cost of living and better quality of life - but that's all subjective and this is my opinion only. Part-time jobs for seniors are plentiful. The number of entertainment options here and things to do are endless. Just wanted to add a different opinion to the lovefest

Old 08-13-2016, 08:01 PM

6,296 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
It's been one year since moving from Louisville. We lived in Lake Forest for 7 years and I don't miss it. I don't miss the ice storms, power outages, snow, cold, heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and the state income tax as well as the city tax. I don't miss maintaining a huge home on half an acre. We retired to Las Vegas and after having been here for a year my only regret is that we had to wait so long to move. Many plusses and very few negatives for us. Lower cost of living and better quality of life - but that's all subjective and this is my opinion only. Part-time jobs for seniors are plentiful. The number of entertainment options here and things to do are endless. Just wanted to add a different opinion to the lovefest
Vegas? You can have it man! I don't care what you say, but Louisville is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than vegas. Any cost of living calculator will show it. Glad you are happy though.

The weather thing is also subjective. Talk about extremes? Vegas is 98-110 during the day almost half the year.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Vegas will only get more and more $$, more and more sprawl, and a literally annoying amount of tourists. Its true you can avoid them to a degree, but they always find you. I learned that the hard way when I moved to a "non tourist" part of Orlando that later became "discovered by them." The only analogy I can give is like running from a swarm of bees.

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2016 at 06:46 AM..

Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,948,971 times
I've heard Vegas also has a lot of black widow spiders.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:19 AM

9,675 posts, read 7,648,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
lol....aw its not too bad...although what the heck with all the traffic? I lived in Louisville in the early 90s and I remember flying around. Am I Imagining things? Then again, Louisville in 1990 felt more like Little Rock or something.

Today's Louisville is a booming medium large city. I am still not sure many people know this yet.
BTW SC and especially charleston, while a smaller town, is getting crazy crowded and growing faster than Louisville.
Been to Little Rock lately? It's a happenin' place right now, with a great deal of revitalization taking place downtown, new freeways that greatly shorten commute times to downtown from the suburbs, cool restaurants of various kinds, excellent museums, a fine public library system, and more.

Pinnacle Mountain State Park, with the iconic namesake mountain offering various outdoor activities including hiking and very challenging climbs toward the end of the trails to the steep, rocky mountain peak is about half an hour from downtown, closer from the western suburbs, and the Arkansas River flows right through the metro area (North Little Rock on the [obviously] north bank, LR on the south), while lots of big lakes with fishing, swimming, boating, etc. are easily accessible for those who enjoy the outdoors. Little Rock has something for everyone.

I don't think your comparison above is quite what you intended!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Been to Little Rock lately? It's a happenin' place right now, with a great deal of revitalization taking place downtown, new freeways that greatly shorten commute times to downtown from the suburbs, cool restaurants of various kinds, excellent museums, a fine public library system, and more.

Pinnacle Mountain State Park, with the iconic namesake mountain offering various outdoor activities including hiking and very challenging climbs toward the end of the trails to the steep, rocky mountain peak is about half an hour from downtown, closer from the western suburbs, and the Arkansas River flows right through the metro area (North Little Rock on the [obviously] north bank, LR on the south), while lots of big lakes with fishing, swimming, boating, etc. are easily accessible for those who enjoy the outdoors. Little Rock has something for everyone.

I don't think your comparison above is quite what you intended!
Yes, I have actually. I was there just a few years ago. LR feels like a sleepy little city. Much like Louisville in 1990.

Fore example, Lexington BLOWS Little Rock out of the water in culture and vibrancy. That means today's Louisville is in a different stratosphere.

That said, I give LR kudos for restoring a historic trolley line. That has sparked rejuvenation of the historic Argenta district, which is decent for a smaller metro. Yet, the amount of activity that happens there would fit into two blocks of Bardstown Rd. Heck, Louisville suburb of New Albany IN has about as much going on as the core of LR.

LR has the Clinton Library, the Hillcrest neighborhood (think about 50% or less of Crescent Hill), and of course the River Market dt, which was the first part of town to gentrify a couple decades ago.

I didn't mean this as a comparison but you get the idea. LR is still a sleepy small metro, which cannot even compare to smaller metros like Lexington, KY. It certainly cannot come close to a Louisville. Yet LR is a nice place if you like that lake/outdoor/fishing stuff .I agree. I always wondered about Pinnacle Mountain. I will check that out next time!

Old 08-14-2016, 02:02 PM

9,585 posts, read 20,468,292 times
The best comparison for Louisville pre late 1990s is Dayton Ohio. At one time they had identical sized metro populations, a mix of old urban and new suburban neighborhoods, and very similar cultural offerings. Since then Dayton's metro area has less population, lost several notable local companies such as National Cash Register, and has added no major attractions. In the same time frame Louisville's metro population has added over 400k, UPS opened it's world hub, added the majority of it's tourist attractions (Slugger Museum, science center, Ali Center, glassworks museum, Big 4 Bridge, and Forecastle music festival), and has seen major public projects such as the KFC Yum! Center and new bridges.

Old 08-14-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The best comparison for Louisville pre late 1990s is Dayton Ohio. At one time they had identical sized metro populations, a mix of old urban and new suburban neighborhoods, and very similar cultural offerings. Since then Dayton's metro area has less population, lost several notable local companies such as National Cash Register, and has added no major attractions. In the same time frame Louisville's metro population has added over 400k, UPS opened it's world hub, added the majority of it's tourist attractions (Slugger Museum, science center, Ali Center, glassworks museum, Big 4 Bridge, and Forecastle music festival), and has seen major public projects such as the KFC Yum! Center and new bridges.
Great analogy Census. Much better said than I could have. Louisville is in a whole different league than Dayton. Yet to those unfamiliar and comparing metro population, they may try to compare Louisville to Dayton. There is simply no comparison.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:04 PM

1,124 posts, read 799,941 times
Greg, I feel your pain. I lived in Walnut Creek in 2014 and Cole Valley near Haight St in 2015. I agree with everything you said RE: friendliness, homeless issues, etc. SF is not the mecca people think it is. Perhaps it was at one time or another, but it's not these days. We moved back to Louisville after my father's stroke last December and haven't looked back.

There are some aspects of the city that I miss, but nearly not enough to make me want to ever return as a resident.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Greg, I feel your pain. I lived in Walnut Creek in 2014 and Cole Valley near Haight St in 2015. I agree with everything you said RE: friendliness, homeless issues, etc. SF is not the mecca people think it is. Perhaps it was at one time or another, but it's not these days. We moved back to Louisville after my father's stroke last December and haven't looked back.

There are some aspects of the city that I miss, but nearly not enough to make me want to ever return as a resident.
Servo...San Fran is an AWESOME city though. I mean so much more than Louisville....but then again...why pay the prices and all the downsides you mentioned?

Louisville truly is an under appreciated gem...and there is more to do than expected....sometimes you just have to search it. Sometimes I do yearn for the big city. Thankfully I travel to Chicago with regularity.

That said, I found going to events in Louisville really make it feel like a big city. Walking Nulu during a gallery hop or Clifton/crescent hill during a Fat Friday.

Waterfront Wednesdey is a gem of an event, one of the coolest and most communal free weekday running events I have encountered anywhere in the USA.

Then there are all the neighborhood block parties, and downtown fests from Mayors hike and bike to blues brews and barbecue to derby to forecastle...there is just so much to do if you seek it in Louisville. And that is what I love about it here.

And just quirky cool festivals like the highlands zombi walk, the bambi walk, brew at the zoo...literally every week there are multiple nodes of action. That's why I really can't think of a city, with the exception of New Orleans, that is a metro under 2 million as vibrant as Louisville (Nashville or Austin is an argument but both are surpassing 2 million). louisville is booming in construction...population growth is steady and not booming only because it is in KY. people love dining out and al fresco dining like no other interior city in the USA. I can say this because I have been all over. yet, many of Louisville's biggest critics are its own or former residents. Its an interesting dichotomy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area