Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 10:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times

Advertisements

It's been awhile since I've been on the forums, my wife and relocated to the San Francisco area in Feb.for my job relocation. I've been here for about 6 months now, and boy do I miss home. We were living in New Albany and then Floyds Knobs for a long time before this move happened. Both grew up in So.Indiana and worked in Louisville.

Since moving, I really miss the small things back home. The biggest, is the privacy. There's no such thing out here, we live in a very nice part of town about 40 miles east of SF in Pleasant Hill, and pay $1900 for a nice 2 bed 1 bath apartment. No such thing as land, or privacy though anywhere around here. I miss going to my family's farm in Corydon, IN on 180 acres and just relaxing, hiking in the woods and being by the good ole Blue River.

The people out here are downright terrible to be frank. They feel like they're better than everyone for whatever reason, very snobby. No such thing as guns either. Not a single gun shop within the city limits of SF. Luckily we are outside SF so I still have mine, but people do not like them at all. Definitely miss the nice people back home who didn't care about how much money people had.

The plan is to be out here for 2-3 years then relocate back east, hopefully back to the Louisville area. If not Louisville, at least somewhere within 6-8 hours. Maybe NC, SC, or Virginia. Time will tell. Enjoy being "home", we took it for granted and miss the heck out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 04:30 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
It's been awhile since I've been on the forums, my wife and relocated to the San Francisco area in Feb.for my job relocation. I've been here for about 6 months now, and boy do I miss home. We were living in New Albany and then Floyds Knobs for a long time before this move happened. Both grew up in So.Indiana and worked in Louisville.

Since moving, I really miss the small things back home. The biggest, is the privacy. There's no such thing out here, we live in a very nice part of town about 40 miles east of SF in Pleasant Hill, and pay $1900 for a nice 2 bed 1 bath apartment. No such thing as land, or privacy though anywhere around here. I miss going to my family's farm in Corydon, IN on 180 acres and just relaxing, hiking in the woods and being by the good ole Blue River.

The people out here are downright terrible to be frank. They feel like they're better than everyone for whatever reason, very snobby. No such thing as guns either. Not a single gun shop within the city limits of SF. Luckily we are outside SF so I still have mine, but people do not like them at all. Definitely miss the nice people back home who didn't care about how much money people had.

The plan is to be out here for 2-3 years then relocate back east, hopefully back to the Louisville area. If not Louisville, at least somewhere within 6-8 hours. Maybe NC, SC, or Virginia. Time will tell. Enjoy being "home", we took it for granted and miss the heck out of it.
Thanks, Greg....I have traveled all around, and lived all over, and I am wholeheartedly convinced there is not a better place to live in America than Louisville. By the way, for 1900 a month, you can get a mortgage on a half a million dollar home in exclusive neighborhoods such as Norton Commons. After seeing the draw of the mid sized city, I will never go back to the mega cities for living. That said, its nice to visit a big city for a few months out f the year, and SF is great for visiting. But when you live there, stuck an hour from the city with traffic paying ridiculous rent for having no space, you wonder, "What am I doing?"

Also, VA and the Carolinas are being overrun by New Yorkers, etc. Louisville is still a hidden secret because it is in "redneck Kentucky." I am ok with that

Old 07-23-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Thanks, Greg....I have traveled all around, and lived all over, and I am wholeheartedly convinced there is not a better place to live in America than Louisville. By the way, for 1900 a month, you can get a mortgage on a half a million dollar home in exclusive neighborhoods such as Norton Commons. After seeing the draw of the mid sized city, I will never go back to the mega cities for living. That said, its nice to visit a big city for a few months out f the year, and SF is great for visiting. But when you live there, stuck an hour from the city with traffic paying ridiculous rent for having no space, you wonder, "What am I doing?"

Also, VA and the Carolinas are being overrun by New Yorkers, etc. Louisville is still a hidden secret because it is in "redneck Kentucky." I am ok with that
I'll take "redneck Kentucky any day over this place. It kills me paying what we do, for what we get. Right before this move happened, my wife and I just started negotiating on a house in Floyds Knobs. 3 acres, total remodel, 3bd 2bath, finished basement for $140K, mortgage would've been around $600-$700, and it would've been our 1st house.(we are only only 24).

I don't go to SF unless I absolutely have to. Smells like pee&poo from the million homeless people.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:47 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
One advantage of living in a place that gets hot and cold is that it doesn't attract homeless people. San Francisco is expensive for a lot of reasons, and one of those reasons is that it rarely gets hot or cold there, or even rains. But homeless people don't care how expensive it is, because they don't have to pay anything to be homeless. So you can count on a large number of homeless people in a place like that, no matter how expensive it is to non-homeless people.

I like Louisville as a compromise because it gets just hot and cold enough to not be attractive to fair weather people, but doesn't get the extremes of weather that make life miserable in so many places. It hardly ever goes below zero F, and hardly ever above 100 F. And a lot more often it's nowhere near those extremes.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One advantage of living in a place that gets hot and cold is that it doesn't attract homeless people. San Francisco is expensive for a lot of reasons, and one of those reasons is that it rarely gets hot or cold there, or even rains. But homeless people don't care how expensive it is, because they don't have to pay anything to be homeless. So you can count on a large number of homeless people in a place like that, no matter how expensive it is to non-homeless people.

I like Louisville as a compromise because it gets just hot and cold enough to not be attractive to fair weather people, but doesn't get the extremes of weather that make life miserable in so many places. It hardly ever goes below zero F, and hardly ever above 100 F. And a lot more often it's nowhere near those extremes.
The one thing I don't miss about home in Louisville, is the humidity. Here in the SF area, the humidity is nothing like Louisville. But I do miss the rain/thunderstorms, never rains here until the "winter" time.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:50 PM

86 posts, read 126,300 times
Nonetheless, at least you have a neat adventure under your belt. The old saying there's no place like home definitely holds value. I've been in Louisville for 13 yrs now, but have spent time in Ft.Campbell KY, Europe (Germany and Netherlands), Atlanta, Cleveland, and Akron. I will say, other than Europe, Louisville has been the best of all of them.

Maybe my mind is different cause I've never lived in a big expensive city like SF, but the idea of going to a place like NYC for a few years and living in a tiny place, trying out life there sounds really appealing (despite the high rent-unbelievable what people pay for an apartment the size of a walk-in closet).

Hope you warm up to it there or at least the opportunity to eventually come back. Best of luck..oh and for what it's worth, the heat and humidity here the past few days have been miserable.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:24 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
But I do miss the rain/thunderstorms,
You should move to Orlando. The thunderstorms in the summer are like a giant fireworks display. Spectacular.

What I like about Louisville is that it's cheap. If it gets too hot and humid, I simply turn the A/C on. If I go outdoors when it's hot and humid, I dress appropriately for it, and it's not so bad. Except when I go in Sams Club dressed that way, and try to shop without freezing from their A/C. It seems like the hotter it is outdoors, the colder Sams Club turns their A/C to compensate for it. Nice for the first few minutes, then you have to leave if you're dressed for the hot weather, to keep from freezing.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostellic View Post
Nonetheless, at least you have a neat adventure under your belt. The old saying there's no place like home definitely holds value. I've been in Louisville for 13 yrs now, but have spent time in Ft.Campbell KY, Europe (Germany and Netherlands), Atlanta, Cleveland, and Akron. I will say, other than Europe, Louisville has been the best of all of them.

Maybe my mind is different cause I've never lived in a big expensive city like SF, but the idea of going to a place like NYC for a few years and living in a tiny place, trying out life there sounds really appealing (despite the high rent-unbelievable what people pay for an apartment the size of a walk-in closet).

Hope you warm up to it there or at least the opportunity to eventually come back. Best of luck..oh and for what it's worth, the heat and humidity here the past few days have been miserable.
I'm definetly taking full advantage of being out here, it was a huge opportunity financially to come out here and I don't regret it.

On the plus side, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, and Lassen Nation Natkonal Park are all within a couple hours drive.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:52 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
One thing that will always make Louisville stand out is that for a low COL you get a plethora of housing choices. While I've got a good thing going in DC, I'm now in a field that has a number of jobs in Louisville and I have connections there. Maybe in 3-4 years, I may give Louisville another shot.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:45 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
One thing that will always make Louisville stand out is that for a low COL you get a plethora of housing choices. While I've got a good thing going in DC, I'm now in a field that has a number of jobs in Louisville and I have connections there. Maybe in 3-4 years, I may give Louisville another shot.
That may be good for you as I predict Louisville will be "grown up" enough by 2020 to support some of your tastes, without the hassle. I really believe its current transformation, which is just beginning, will be astounding. It is exciting to watch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area