Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 08:49 AM

16 posts, read 24,470 times

Advertisements

We're late 30's, no kids, mid income. Looking to rent for a year or two while getting to know the city. Love to find a walkable community to restaurants, shops and grocery. We are in the food and wine/spirits business and interested in a diversity of dining choices, the more the better. If there were a nice park nearby, as I hear Louisville has many, that would be perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM

24 posts, read 33,049 times
Louisville is a great city with a diverse population. Although not the only spot, Bardstown road has lots of independent restaurants of all ethnicities and flavors. St. Matthews is a great established neighborhood with walkable streets, a mix of businesses and older homes. Cherokee park is really a wonderful spot. It lies sort of halfway between St. Matthews and downtown. You will love Louisville.

Last edited by lesswork; 06-15-2016 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: forgot minor detail

Old 06-15-2016, 10:22 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Best urban areas to live in Lousiville are...

The Highlands - strung out for 4 miles along Baxter Ave and Bardstown Rd (south of Lexington Rd to Trevillian Way)

Clifton / Crescent Hill - along Frankfort Ave, it's just north of the Highlands

Old Louisville - from U of L to around Oak St, great Victorian mansion housing stock

Downtown New Albany and points to the east - vibrant small city downtown with lots of restaurants and affordable Victorian housing stock. If you're on a tight budget it's your best option.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:26 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkyler View Post
We're late 30's, no kids, mid income. Looking to rent for a year or two while getting to know the city. Love to find a walkable community to restaurants, shops and grocery. We are in the food and wine/spirits business and interested in a diversity of dining choices, the more the better. If there were a nice park nearby, as I hear Louisville has many, that would be perfect.
You will love the Highlands. Specifically, Cherokee Triangle. You need to live as close as you can to Cherokee Rd and Willow Ave. Get a good realtor. For homes over 400k, Sandy Gulick rocks. Tre Pryor also knows the metro area well.

As census noted New Albany is a good choice for those that like urban and walkable but not willing to pay 220/sq foot for a home. Still cool and urban, but not as yuppie and not quite as vibrant

Crescent Hill, Clifton, and St matthews must be looked at.

I think you will like Old Louisville, Butchertown, Germantown and Nulu and Phoenix Hill, but due to the "grittiness" of parts of those areas, you may not want to live there. They are certainly all safe areas, but not as vibrant as Highlands or Crescent Hill.

You will discover the other urban areas after a few weeks/months of exploring. Welcome to a great city!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Thank you for your suggestions. Looking forward to visiting and seeing these areas.

Old 07-20-2016, 03:44 AM

Thanks again for the info provided here. We've been in Louisville for two weeks now. We ended up getting a loft downtown because we just didn't have enough time to research the different areas. I'm really liking the Clifton/Crescent Hill area and maybe Germantown but again, only two weeks. Also, really liking the food scene here! Once we get settled I'm sure I'll be hitting you all up for your favorite camping/kayaking spots in the general vicinity ��

Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerkyler View Post
Thanks again for the info provided here. We've been in Louisville for two weeks now. We ended up getting a loft downtown because we just didn't have enough time to research the different areas. I'm really liking the Clifton/Crescent Hill area and maybe Germantown but again, only two weeks. Also, really liking the food scene here! Once we get settled I'm sure I'll be hitting you all up for your favorite camping/kayaking spots in the general vicinity ��
What is your definition of general vicinity in miles and/or driving time?

Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 AM

Within 2 hours, give or take

Old 07-20-2016, 03:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Most popular kayaking spots to downtown are Deam Lake Indiana (State Park, has a $8 entrance fee per visit or $50 for annual pass) and Parklands of Floyds Fork, Beckley Creek section is a popular spot to put kayaks in water and it's free. Both are about 20 miles from downtown.

For hiking good options are Knobstone Trail which begins near Deam Lake Indiana, unlike the lake you can access trail without paying admission fee. Southern Jefferson County KY's Jefferson Memorial Forest has dozens of miles of hiking trails, I go to the trails at Paul Yost section now and then, it's 15 miles from downtown. Bernheim Forest is nice and located between Shepherdsville and Bardstown, it's 30 miles away. Charlestown State Park in Indiana has a lot of trails, it sometimes has an entrance fee, a lot of times it's free, 19 miles away. In Eastern Kentucky you'll want to go to the very popular Natural Bridge and nearby Red River Gorge area, it's 2 hours / 125 miles away. For really big mountains Cumberland Gap area is 3.5 hours away.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 PM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Clifty Falls State Park in Madison, IN is another nearby attraction, reminds me of home with steep hills and bluffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area