U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 AM
 
2 posts, read 1,746 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Thank you all for your replies so far! I graduated from Atherton in the late 80s, and the school system has definitely changed a lot since then. I have to say that I have not heard great things about Kammerer, so I'm a little disappointed that it is the "reside" school for Norton Commons. The other area that we really like is Anchorage, especially because it has a small, independent K-8 school. To put this in perspective, my 6th and 8th grader are currently enrolled in an independent K-8 school in Vermont that only has about 115 students, so it seems like Anchorage might make for a smoother transition for them. The problem for us with Anchorage, though, is that I think it's in the Eastern High School district, and my 10th grader really wants to take advantage of the great theater program at Ballard. (I would say that she'd be a great fit for YPAS, but we missed that deadline, darnit.) That, and we really like Norton Commons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2016, 09:48 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsamuelson View Post
Thank you all for your replies so far! I graduated from Atherton in the late 80s, and the school system has definitely changed a lot since then. I have to say that I have not heard great things about Kammerer, so I'm a little disappointed that it is the "reside" school for Norton Commons. The other area that we really like is Anchorage, especially because it has a small, independent K-8 school. To put this in perspective, my 6th and 8th grader are currently enrolled in an independent K-8 school in Vermont that only has about 115 students, so it seems like Anchorage might make for a smoother transition for them. The problem for us with Anchorage, though, is that I think it's in the Eastern High School district, and my 10th grader really wants to take advantage of the great theater program at Ballard. (I would say that she'd be a great fit for YPAS, but we missed that deadline, darnit.) That, and we really like Norton Commons!
Anchorage would be "safer" as it has its own k-8. However, beware, some realtors try to "scam" you into a "anchorage" home which is not in the school district.

Kammerer is 5 on great schools but it is not fair at all. My daughter goes there and gets a great education! I would say its an 8. I only give it an 8 because of some of the "riff raff" but that is part of America in 2016! Otherwise it is a 9 or 10.


Even if your kids went to Eastern for a year (also probably a top 4 public HS in the city but not metro), then they can transfer to Manual next year.

HS wise, I would say it is Manual by far the best, then probably Male, Ballard, North Oldham, South Oldham, Eastern, Floyd Central (Indiana), Eastern approximately in that order.

There are some other decent or above avg HS in the metro area, such as Bullit East, Shelby Co, New Albany, and Atherton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,059 posts, read 9,787,161 times
Reputation: 18875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
There is no way this person had the latest information unless you specifically asked about Norton Commons? Each area of the county is different
I think part of the problem here is that all my posts have been speaking in generalities, not about any one particular area or school cluster. Prehaps you missed that. Again, JCPS has an atypical school assignment system and parents bringing their children to the served by the system need to be aware that it is not a given that a child living near a school will attend that school, whether by the school system's choice or the parents' choice. Again, that is why I supplied a link to the official JCPS information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
What is the name of the person you spoke to? I am calling JCPS myself and would like to speak to them. Thanks
You are kidding, right?!? I am not going to post any person's name, address, or other identifying information on an anonymous forum for any reason. Ever. Nor should you or anybody else. Aside from it being a gross violation of privacy, there is no way of telling who is sitting on the other side of the computer screen. For all you know you are supplying access information to an obsessive, or otherwise unhinged, individual who will take their issues out on the person in the real world, taking the form of harassment, stalking, or even plain old violence. It has happened before on various chat sites.

I will let the person know your burning need to talk to them and they can post their personal information if they so desire, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Therefore, if it is important for you to know, my suggestion is that you do call JCPS yourself as that will give you an opportunity to ask whether or not the information in their official pamphlet, a copy of which is provided on their web site, is correct or not.
__________________
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.
Helpful links: TOS and FAQ
Why did the moderator.....? A little about deletions and infractions
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 PM
 
Location: My beloved Bluegrass
14,059 posts, read 9,787,161 times
Reputation: 18875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Anchorage would be "safer" as it has its own k-8. However, beware, some realtors try to "scam" you into a "anchorage" home which is not in the school district.

Kammerer is 5 on great schools but it is not fair at all. My daughter goes there and gets a great education! I would say its an 8. I only give it an 8 because of some of the "riff raff" but that is part of America in 2016! Otherwise it is a 9 or 10.

Even if your kids went to Eastern for a year (also probably a top 4 public HS in the city but not metro), then they can transfer to Manual next year.

HS wise, I would say it is Manual by far the best, then probably Male, Ballard, North Oldham, South Oldham, Eastern, Floyd Central (Indiana), Eastern approximately in that order.

There are some other decent or above avg HS in the metro area, such as Bullit East, Shelby Co, New Albany, and Atherton.
I'm glad you like your child's school, most parents do. They done several studies and over 80% of parents report their child goes to a good or excellent school and an even higher percentage rate their child's teacher/s as good or excellent. Makes you wonder where all those supposedly crappy schools and teachers are hiding, doesn't it? That said, based strictly on test scores, Kammerer scored in the 41 percentile of Kentucky middle schools for the 2014-2015 school year (the last testing available) and in the 35th percentile among Kentucky middle schools for the 2013-2014 school year. While I will be the first to tell someone there is far more to a school than test scores, I do understand why those kind of rankings concern parents.

Like I said, I'm glad you think so highly of the school your daughter attends. I hope you have also let the teachers and administrators there know you feel like your daughter is getting a great education at their school, it would mean a lot to them. As a focus school they are under a lot of pressure and probably have times when they feel no one appreciates the hard work they do. I wish more parents let them and the district know when they are happy, sometimes teachers, especially those under a magnifying glass of district or state oversight for improvement, feel like everybody's favorite whipping boy.
__________________
When I post in bold red that is moderator action and, per the TOS, can only be discussed through Direct Message.
Helpful links: TOS and FAQ
Why did the moderator.....? A little about deletions and infractions
Moderator - Asia, Kentucky, Lexington, and Louisville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2016, 06:11 PM
 
33 posts, read 102,663 times
Reputation: 28
Norton commons is very nice, but very planned. Very planned, we joke it is Pleasantville. They have very small yards, but nice restaurants and a cool town square. There is not a great deal of diversity in Norton Commons and housing is very expensive.

We moved here 2.5 years ago and had some issues with the JCPS placement center. I would recommend calling the school directly, I would agree that Ballard and Karameer would be your most probably choices, but the easiest way to handle that is to call the school. The placement center was NOT helpful.

From our experience if you are interested in applying to any of the magnet schools or traditional schools in JCPS then you need to be aware of the enrollment deadlines for those schools. They do not hold spots for people who move into the district after this date.

There are several applications that you will need to fill out on the JCPS website so work with the school.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2016, 03:25 PM
 
2,391 posts, read 3,866,540 times
Reputation: 895
I don't know if any of ya'll posted this since I only skimmed the replies, but Norton Commons has their own school. They are in the process of building it withing "their neighborhood". I don't know if it is an elementary school or high school, but what I do know is that they are building a school there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2016, 05:44 PM
 
6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Reputation: 2789
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I don't know if any of ya'll posted this since I only skimmed the replies, but Norton Commons has their own school. They are in the process of building it withing "their neighborhood". I don't know if it is an elementary school or high school, but what I do know is that they are building a school there.
elementary school and its open now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2016, 07:17 AM
 
39 posts, read 105,282 times
Reputation: 33
We've been in NC over 8 years now. We moved from out of state at the end of the school year. I do remember we called JCPS to enroll our kids in school and had to be there in person before the cutoff to ensure their resides school. We had to show our contract to buy the house. You've definitely missed any possibility of guaranteed entry in the resides school. Our youngest almost didn't get her elementary because the school had been full, but a student moved. Older daughter went to Kammerer. For the next year we moved both our kids from JCPS. The schools were just dramatically different than what we were used to. And no, this isn't racial since we're a biracial family. They were crowded, chaotic, and underfunded. We moved from wealthier states where Blue Ribbon public schools are the expectation, not the exception. KY schools just don't have that funding. Our kids went private for middle school and back to JCPS for high school. One into a magnet program, the other at Ballard (which has its issues but for a Chorus or Drama kid it's the place to be, besides YPAS). I've posted about our experiences with JCPS before. Educated and involved parents raise educated and involved kids who take advantage of what JCPS does have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2016, 07:25 AM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL
1,123 posts, read 798,460 times
Reputation: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngC View Post
We've been in NC over 8 years now. We moved from out of state at the end of the school year. I do remember we called JCPS to enroll our kids in school and had to be there in person before the cutoff to ensure their resides school. We had to show our contract to buy the house. You've definitely missed any possibility of guaranteed entry in the resides school. Our youngest almost didn't get her elementary because the school had been full, but a student moved. Older daughter went to Kammerer. For the next year we moved both our kids from JCPS. The schools were just dramatically different than what we were used to. And no, this isn't racial since we're a biracial family. They were crowded, chaotic, and underfunded. We moved from wealthier states where Blue Ribbon public schools are the expectation, not the exception. KY schools just don't have that funding. Our kids went private for middle school and back to JCPS for high school. One into a magnet program, the other at Ballard (which has its issues but for a Chorus or Drama kid it's the place to be, besides YPAS). I've posted about our experiences with JCPS before. Educated and involved parents raise educated and involved kids who take advantage of what JCPS does have to offer.
This, but to a degree. I was a Prospect kid in the 80's, and Kammerer doesn't seem to be any better today than it was back then. I lasted all of 3 months at Kammerer before my parents pulled me out and sent me to private school.

In order to get the benefit of JCPS, it's a MUST that you be in the "advanced" program. If you're in the regular program, then you're stuck in classes with babysitters for teachers because of all the "riff raff", and that's on socio-economic terms, not really racial. Educated and involved parents make a huge difference. My parents were educated, but not involved due to my father's illness from his time in Vietnam in the Navy.

I got a wealth of life experience at Ballard in the regular program, but a very poor quality education. It wasn't until I got to community college that I realized my educational potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top