U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 PM

6 posts, read 3,448 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am in the early stage of planning a relo to Lousville. I am so excited to be coming back to Kentucky, I lived near Lexington for 10 years, and since layoffs at my previous employer in 2012 (Lexmark) I have been moving around for contract jobs. I still own a home in that area that is now being rented. I am now awaiting the final steps with a job at Humana.

-Where you are working - Humana
-How much you are willing to spend on housing: 800 - 1400 a month
-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate 30 - 45 minutes
-If you have kids: Private school or public school? None
-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? : Rural, out in the country, with some acreage
-Community amenities important to you
-Pie or cake? Is there a hidden agenda to this question? I like both

I am looking to secure a rental (for now) in the country, with the plans of buying the same with acreage for the long term. I have 2 outdoor dogs that live in outside kennels that I would really hate to part with. I know how difficult it is moving, especially in a rental situation with dogs, but was hoping that could be alleviated somewhat with living in the country. I am looking for input on the pet situation.

Also, I have read other threads about likely locations for my type of request, such as Bullitt County, Simpsonville, Shepherdsville, LaGrange. I am looking for advice as to online or other resources where I should be looking to locate a rental in these rural areas.

One other question I would like input on is where should I look in case I need to secure temporary housing to begin work while I secure long term housing. Of course, this would probably mean I lose the dogs, which is not my preferred route, but one I would be willing to take if necessary.

I appreciate any input, and look forward to being "back home".
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 09:41 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,302,672 times
I lived in Southern Indiana and Louisville my whole life until I recently relocated to San Francisco for my job, and I miss home dearly.

I always have preferred to live in Southern Indiana rather than Louisville itself. The housing prices are cheaper, and there is land a plenty. For what you're wanting, I highly recommend multiple areas in Southern Indiana.

Such as : Sellersburg, Floyds Knobs, Georgetown,, and possibly the Corydon area (that's a little further out, 45mins.ish). All the places I listed besides Corydon, are within 15-30mins.of Humana in downtown Louisville.

As for short term housing, a lot of apartment communities in the area will allow a month-month lease if you let them know your situation, and most apartments are pet friendly.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:14 PM

6,704 posts, read 4,174,977 times
Seems to me Oldham County would be a perfect fit for you, possibly as far east as Shelby County. The only problem is that's one of the directions Louisville is growing most heavily, so prices and traffic congestion are going up rapidly in a lot of areas there.

And don't give up your dogs. I'm positive you could find someone to board them on their farm for a few months while you get settled. I know people who would probably do it for you, but they're on the wrong end of the state. I'll bet you could find someone near Louisville, or I could ask around.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:41 AM

@Greg10556,
I saw your post about missing the kentucky area, i swear you took the words right out of my mouth, except you moved to SF and I moved to CT. I too miss the privacy and way of life, not to mention my guns won't even see the light of day where Im at. i used to to be able to shoot in my own yard whenever I wanted to back In KY. And dont even let me mention the people here In CT. Rude as can be. I swear I dont think they even mean it, its just how they are. Anyways, its all getting ready to change, so for that I am glad. Any additional input is always welcome. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:37 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,302,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcrawfor View Post
@Greg10556,
I saw your post about missing the kentucky area, i swear you took the words right out of my mouth, except you moved to SF and I moved to CT. I too miss the privacy and way of life, not to mention my guns won't even see the light of day where Im at. i used to to be able to shoot in my own yard whenever I wanted to back In KY. And dont even let me mention the people here In CT. Rude as can be. I swear I dont think they even mean it, its just how they are. Anyways, its all getting ready to change, so for that I am glad. Any additional input is always welcome. Thanks.
That's how it is in SF too. I guess it's just the way/lifestyle the people are brought up in and they don't realize how others see them. My gun(s) have been locked up in the safe since I got here. Haven't touched them since the move in. Glad to hear you're heading back to KY

Old 08-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Hello,
I have been finding quite limited listings online for home rentals in the country. Could anybody point me to some other resources, for example maybe some of the local papers have online listings?

Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,951,963 times
Craigslist would have most rental listings. Especially houses by owner. But there might not be a lot. People who invest in houses, to rent them out, usually focus on houses in cities, because their tenants usually need to be close to jobs. People who rent their houses out because it's hard to sell them, aren't a big resource now because it's not hard to sell houses now. You might be able to rent a house that needs a lot of repairs, and you would agree to do the repairs in exchange for part of the rent.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:02 PM

33 posts, read 102,712 times
We live in Prospect and its not a bad commute in the AM. La Grange is nice, Goshen is good as well if you are looking east of Louisville. I have several friends who live in Indiana and really love it. You might try J-town in southern Louisville for rentals as well. Realtors.com or Zillow have a fairly good list or Craigslist. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM

@eok,
thanks for the explanation. I feel that explains a few things. I am still hopeful for my move to Lou. I may have to look into temporary option and was wondering if anyone may have some pointers there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area