U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,831,994 times

Advertisements

Indy had 28mm visitors in 2015, so calling BS on this one.

I did not pull Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus or St Louis but imagine their numbers are similar, maybe larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:28 PM

3,008 posts, read 4,166,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Where do you live? Are you out 24/7/365 in areas tourists would wander? Again, you are another Louisville local who needs more education on how unique your city is. Hotspot? Sure, its not Orlando or Vegas. But Louisville is definitely becoming a tourist city and I would say that per capita population, it has a very high tourist rate, especially lately. Seriously, find me a metro under 2 million outside New Orleans and Nashville with that many tourists. The numbers were even a bit of a shock to me!

So, getting back to the premise of the thread, we have all this objective data that Louisville is doing better since merger. The only thing that is worse is probably crime, and that is because Louisville had REALLY low crime before for a major city! It was ranked in top 20 of Morgan Quintos safest large cities just a few years ago. Anyone who says Louisville is dangerous now is taking its crime spike WAY out of context. As Jesse said, increased crime and drugs are a NATIONAL problem almost every major city is seeing. This isn't a Louisville problem, but a UNITED STATES issue.

While one cannot prove merger is directly responsible for Louisville's success the last decade, one can deduce that it probably had something to do with it!
Actually, Indy had 27 million visitors according to Rockport analytics, the firm that did the official Indy numbers. Since ky is officially a southern state, then every municipality within it is southern. Airbnb is wrong. It may be the northern most southern city but still southern.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:02 PM

387 posts, read 341,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Actually, Indy had 27 million visitors according to Rockport analytics, the firm that did the official Indy numbers. Since ky is officially a southern state, then every municipality within it is southern. Airbnb is wrong. It may be the northern most southern city but still southern.
Finally some accurate information. Peter1948 obviously can't offer good information.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:44 PM

791 posts, read 1,129,249 times
I think Peta's on the city payroll....all I can figure out.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:56 PM

Default Indy and St Louis

Indy had 27.4mm in 2015 and St Louis had 25.9mm in 2015.

Louisville is much smaller metro area, but one could argue pretty decent tourism per capita.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,948,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Indy had 28mm visitors in 2015, so calling BS on this one.
How do you figure? It seems perfectly logical to me that if Indy had 28 million visitors, Louisville might have had 24. There may or may not be reasons to call BS, but the 28 million doesn't seem to be one of those reasons.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:54 AM

I was calling BS on Louisville being ranked number 3 for tourism in the Midwest.

Still a lot of visitors given how much smaller it is than other metros.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:54 AM

9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Louisville has a lot of conventions for its size and Yum Center gets lots of visitors for concerts. I frequently see tourist groups on the Big 4 bridge often with ID tags for conventions. It also helps having a metro area of 600k an hour away that lacks a zoo, amusement park, and has no science museum. I lived in Lexington 5th to 12th grade and Louisville was the main further out field trip location, sometimes Cincinnati. I'd say at least half of the 150k people at Derby and Oaks would be considered tourists. Louisville doesn't have a steady stream of tourist just to visit the city itself like New Orleans but there are enough to create a motel boom downtown.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
so Indy has a 50% larger metro area but only 3 million more visitors?

St louis is nearly twice as big metro but only 1.5 million more?
My point is proven! The post meant to say per capita. Why does Louisville success bother so many?? Louisville has one of the highest per capita tourism rates in the midwest and even thee south.

where is the souce indy had 27 million? that's effectively very similar to louisville numbers.

Louisville IS a major tourist city and you will all be provej wrong in the next few years.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-21-2017 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-21-2017, 01:31 PM

6,297 posts, read 13,182,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I was calling BS on Louisville being ranked number 3 for tourism in the Midwest.

Still a lot of visitors given how much smaller it is than other metros.

no calling "BS" And its not "that much smaller " It doesn't feel that way either.

Louisville got the third most airbnb visitors in the midwest last year. if that bothers you all, why dont you contact airbnb!

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...rbnb-host.html

These are facts and Louisville had almost as many airbnb visitors as Minneapolis.
Louisville is booming right now. Its residents have always had a low self esteem. It remindsme of Detroit in that regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or