Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM

387 posts, read 490,941 times

Advertisements

Okay this thread is starting to lean on the wrong topic. We shouldn't be discussing what place has the most tourists. We should switch back to the original topic of the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,734,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Okay this thread is starting to lean on the wrong topic. We shouldn't be discussing what place has the most tourists. We should switch back to the original topic of the thread.
The point is, however, that Louisville is a very successful city post merger....from tourists, to retail, to restaurants, to jobs, to growth, to economy, unemployment...

crime is the only thing up and Louisville had such low crime (top 10 safest large city last decade per morgan quinto) that it was bound to go up. Plus, increased crime is a national trend

Louisville's challanges are:

1) increasing education
2) itself and many resident's "small town" and "can't do attitude"
3) allergies and schizophrenic weather
4) improving public schools
5) improving transit

Old 01-23-2017, 07:17 PM

387 posts, read 490,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
The point is, however, that Louisville is a very successful city post merger....from tourists, to retail, to restaurants, to jobs, to growth, to economy, unemployment...

crime is the only thing up and Louisville had such low crime (top 10 safest large city last decade per morgan quinto) that it was bound to go up. Plus, increased crime is a national trend

Louisville's challanges are:

1) increasing education
2) itself and many resident's "small town" and "can't do attitude"
3) allergies and schizophrenic weather
4) improving public schools
5) improving transit
Your still going off topic. Tourism is irrelevant.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPetty View Post
Your still going off topic. Tourism is irrelevant.
Tpetty, I am not off topic. My opinion is that by every metric, Louisville is better post merger than pre merger. This OBJECTIVELY refutes your claim 100% that Louisville Metro is a bad idea. I am really not sure what your motivation is with that.

Please find me some objective data of a metric, besides crime, that has gotten worse after Louisville's merger. Good luck because it doesn't exist. The omni project alone would have been a pipe dream for Louisville in 1999. Now, it is a small fraction of 9 Billion in development. And by the way, Louisville has had billions in development for many consecutive years.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
This whole thread reeks of "angry 25 year old living in mama's basement".

Old 01-24-2017, 09:18 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
I've yet to understand how all the development in downtown Louisville means the merger failed. Ok, so even if Louisville isn't doing as well as its peer cities. For the sake of the argument we say its peer cities are doing better. How does that mean the merger failed? How does development and population growth mean the merger failed? You may personally feel as though the merger failed. You may not like what has happened since the merger. But the facts speak for themselves. Unless you prefer using alternative facts.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:55 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Louisville has better weather since the merger.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:59 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
This whole thread reeks of "angry 25 year old living in mama's basement".
How do you know he's 25? He could be any age from 1 to 100. Or maybe 5 to 100 because he has to be old enough to type. And how do you know he lives in his mama's basement? He might live in her attic.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I've yet to understand how all the development in downtown Louisville means the merger failed. Ok, so even if Louisville isn't doing as well as its peer cities. For the sake of the argument we say its peer cities are doing better. How does that mean the merger failed? How does development and population growth mean the merger failed? You may personally feel as though the merger failed. You may not like what has happened since the merger. But the facts speak for themselves. Unless you prefer using alternative facts.
Exactly! And I'd argue Louisivlle is probably right "in the middle of its peer cities"

Its growing faster than Memphis and Birmingham but slower than Richmond and Jacksonville (even if slightly).

I am telling you though the construction is IMPRESSIVE. For heaven's sake, there is now a TOWER CRANE up in Germantown (albeit for audubon hospital). That has to be close to 10 tower cranes in the urban core. The only city around here even close to that is Nashville....another merged city!

I fully believe if KY had no income tax and could further shed its stereotypes, Louisville would grow as fast as Nashville.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:53 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Exactly! And I'd argue Louisivlle is probably right "in the middle of its peer cities"

Its growing faster than Memphis and Birmingham but slower than Richmond and Jacksonville (even if slightly).

I am telling you though the construction is IMPRESSIVE. For heaven's sake, there is now a TOWER CRANE up in Germantown (albeit for audubon hospital). That has to be close to 10 tower cranes in the urban core. The only city around here even close to that is Nashville....another merged city!

I fully believe if KY had no income tax and could further shed its stereotypes, Louisville would grow as fast as Nashville.
Until the state government gives Louisville more autonomy, we'll be stuck behind a lot of other cities. The state government likes to do basically everything opposite of what Louisville wants lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area