Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:57 PM

11 posts, read 13,445 times

Advertisements

Hell yes, Louisville has the worst drivers. It's eye opening, I only realized this after living elsewhere. Worse yet is the general attitude that this is normal. The local media is an accomplice. You will never see any sort of critical reporting of why it is that people keep dying on the same stretches of roads and intersections year after year. Accidents, shrug. Plain criminal.

But anyway, not to divert blame though, it really is the drivers first and foremost. Drivers here are aggressive, careless, inattentive, and just plain, well, unfit. Trailers and pick ups barreling down the left lane at inappropriate speeds, too fast, too slow, what have you, anything but a safe speed for a 6+ ton metal box. The riff-raff in their beat up coupes that are just one speed bump away of decapitating some bystander due to **** falling off that ****box on bald tires they never take care of (somehow still drives, somehow never get pulled over). Soccer moms and prep kids in SUVs texting and on the phone, never heard of a rearview mirror, isn't right turn on red in the first amendment somewhere, whatevs. Not a day goes by unless some drunk is not injuring himself, or, god forbid, others, by wrapping his car against a telephone pole.

It genuinely is the worst city for driving (let alone for being outside a car, like, ewww, poor people), and somebody please look this up, but probably one of the deadliest as well, I don't know the stats, but there's no way Louisville isn't in the bottom half.

The biggest culprit is that people here can't read traffic. Racing up&down residential streets, as if they don't realize that they're a split second away of causing a tragedy. And on the highway, driving like a grandma on the left lane, because, you know, can't ****ing spill their mcnuggets.

As if the bad drivers weren't enough, the roads are designed by idiots. Why have 2 lanes when you can have 4? And wider, make them wider!!! no, I said WIDER, so drivers don't need to pay attention. What is the expression, every nation gets the government it deserves, well, our benighted traffic engineers sure as hell made us get the drivers we deserve.

If there's one thing to be a negative nancy about, this is it. Louisville's a city made for cars. And the cars here are driven by irresponsible idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:46 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
They SHOULD do both. Decent public transit will never be an option in a state as red as KY. We don't even have AMTRAK for cryin out loud.
I would not say that, five or six years back the people here in Lexington voted for a tax increase to help fund/subsidize Lextran (the bus system here).

Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 AM

14,756 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The problem with public transit is that it has to be subsidized. People aren't willing to pay enough fare to make it profitable. But people in Kentucky don't want to subsidize anything.

A bus ride in Louisville already costs $1.75, and that isn't enough for them to come out ahead without subsidies.

A long time ago I rode a ferry from Manhattan to Staten Island for 25 cents. I wonder how much subsidy that got, and what the fare is now.

The key issue is whether the people can be convinced a public transportation system is worth paying for out of taxes instead of fares. In theory the only reason any fare at all should be charged is to keep the bums off who just want to use it as a place to sleep or get out of the weather.
Like I said several years back Lexington voted to subsidize the transit system here (Lextran). I supported it, and was happy when everyone else did too.

But some people are endlessly complaining that the rest of us voted for the tax increase.

See here

Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,816,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It ranks near the worst of any area I've lived in without a doubt. Combining the many overly aggressive and slow drivers to go along with inadequate and antiquated infrastructure, cloverleaf highway design, roads that often completely lack shoulders, and 1950s era traffic control (stoplights)- you are asking for general misery even doing the most BASIC things when it comes to driving. Can you tell I didn't have a good driving experience yesterday? This was in southern Indiana by the way (New Albany, Clarksville, Jeffersonville).
Well duh!

Driving in Jeff, is all zig-zags. So the left lane ends in a left turn, then you think the right lane is safe, then the next interzection it's a right-turn lane. Makes no sense. The first time I went to New Albany, I almost got turned in to, not even 20min in to the city. That main drag that turns in to a...6lane one way street..seemingly
I was in one of the left lanes and this car to the right of me, just turned left, I thought we were gonna die. I undedstand why people get shot at.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I really hope Louisville DOESN'T fix its highway system and instead starts investing more in public transit. Wishful thinking, though, ey?
TARC is broke, they can't even fix the roads properly, and you want more heavy commercial vehicles on them? I hope these new electric busses pay for themselves, before fare goes to 5$. Last time i was in Lex, fare was 50¢, last time fare was 50¢ here, I was 13.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecharlie View Post
Hell yes, Louisville has the worst drivers. It's eye opening, I only realized this after living elsewhere. Worse yet is the general attitude that this is normal. The local media is an accomplice. You will never see any sort of critical reporting of why it is that people keep dying on the same stretches of roads and intersections year after year. Accidents, shrug. Plain criminal.

But anyway, not to divert blame though, it really is the drivers first and foremost. Drivers here are aggressive, careless, inattentive, and just plain, well, unfit. Trailers and pick ups barreling down the left lane at inappropriate speeds, too fast, too slow, what have you, anything but a safe speed for a 6+ ton metal box. The riff-raff in their beat up coupes that are just one speed bump away of decapitating some bystander due to **** falling off that ****box on bald tires they never take care of (somehow still drives, somehow never get pulled over). Soccer moms and prep kids in SUVs texting and on the phone, never heard of a rearview mirror, isn't right turn on red in the first amendment somewhere, whatevs. Not a day goes by unless some drunk is not injuring himself, or, god forbid, others, by wrapping his car against a telephone pole.

It genuinely is the worst city for driving (let alone for being outside a car, like, ewww, poor people), and somebody please look this up, but probably one of the deadliest as well, I don't know the stats, but there's no way Louisville isn't in the bottom half.

The biggest culprit is that people here can't read traffic. Racing up&down residential streets, as if they don't realize that they're a split second away of causing a tragedy. And on the highway, driving like a grandma on the left lane, because, you know, can't ****ing spill their mcnuggets.

As if the bad drivers weren't enough, the roads are designed by idiots. Why have 2 lanes when you can have 4? And wider, make them wider!!! no, I said WIDER, so drivers don't need to pay attention. What is the expression, every nation gets the government it deserves, well, our benighted traffic engineers sure as hell made us get the drivers we deserve.

If there's one thing to be a negative nancy about, this is it. Louisville's a city made for cars. And the cars here are driven by irresponsible idiots.
I can't deny much of this, especially after being tboned on my scooter last Monday night. I am at the mercy of either tarc, or walking. Even if I was able to ride a bike, it got stolen. I think that's why it's a "no fault" state, because there's too many idtiots to play the blame game. Oh and you drivers need to start respecting these bikes out here on the road- motorized or not. I'm getting a set of paintball pistols, one with pepperballs for open windows, and tops. You think driving a car is a pain, sweet goddess jump on a scooter, and all of a sudden people got something to prove.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:55 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The problem with Louisville is half the drivers are fast and aggressive and half are slow pokes, so you don't know what to expect. At least in Chicago the drivers are super aggressive but you know what to expect. In Lexington you know the drivers are slower, on New Circle someone driving 65 with the 55 speed limit stands out. Another thing about cities with good public transit is it seems fewer bad drivers are on the road, around here people have to drive even if they don't have insurance or a driver's license. Like most American cities Louisville had wonderful public transit until the street car lines were paved over in the 1950s. It would cost billions to rebuild what was lost.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:33 PM

Nowadays, the streetcar would be in the way.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:01 PM

797 posts, read 2,337,411 times
Every. Day. Just today at Grant Line and 265 in New Albany, I stopped at the red light and some dude in a pickup behind me goes around me on the right and goes through the red light I was already stopped at before he changed lanes to go around me. Yesterday I was behind a guy on the interstate riding halfway over the left and center lane and running under the limit. It's literally every day. Also this week at a 4 way stop all side were stopped. All other sides go and I am the last. As I start making my left turn, the girl across from me on her phone who came up after the original car starts coming on through and almost hit me. It's ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:03 PM

251 posts, read 311,456 times
I had to go to Louisville yesterday afternoon/evening. What in the world is the deal with all the downtown road construction and when will it be done? That coupled with what I think was the Gay Pride thing going on I couldn't get anywhere. It was as bad as a Colts game, lol. I was going to somebody's house up off Brownsboro Rd. Luckily I had a good GPS or it would have been worse. At any rate I sure hope it's done next time I go down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area