U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,761,610 times

Advertisements

After reading this entire thread I now know why my auto insurance rates would be so high if I lived in the Louisville area. Ran some quotes earlier this year and last just to find out and I was shocked at how high they would be. Looks like I will be sticking with Covington, KY for now. Still a bit high but not outrageous.

BTW. On the subject of tail gating. Do some research into the psychology of that kind of behavior and you'll get a better understanding of why people do it. Essentially they are bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 2,953,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
On the subject of tail gating. Do some research into the psychology of that kind of behavior and you'll get a better understanding of why people do it. Essentially they are bullies.
Frustrated bullies. They want to hurt someone, but they don't dare. Bullies tend to be frustrated cowards. That's why you have to be careful with them, and slow down gradually, till they have a heart attack and drop behind. Because if you slow down too fast, they might go into a blind rage and ram your vehicle. People in a blind rage don't think about the consequences at all. All they can think about is killing someone.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:51 AM
eok

Quote:
Ran some quotes earlier this year and last just to find out and I was shocked at how high they would be.
My most recent bill from State Farm was between $200 and $210, for six months. How high were the quotes you got?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:56 AM

5,655 posts, read 8,761,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
My most recent bill from State Farm was between $200 and $210, for six months. How high were the quotes you got?
With a clean driving record, mine was something in the area of $175 a month. That was the lowest figure. Tried Progressive and one other insurer that I can't recall at the moment. One was actually higher than $175 a month.

Funny thing is that when I ran quotes for Pittsburgh they dropped by $100 a month. And the same for areas of Missouri. The Indianapolis area was about $90 a month. The Ohio side of the Cincinnati area was about the same as Pittsburgh perhaps a bit higher.

Can't figure out why my rates are so high for Louisville.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,871,758 times
And earlier today, I had a Lexus on my tail pushing me...women drivers

Old 09-22-2016, 01:15 PM

9,590 posts, read 20,481,142 times
Indiana side of Greater Louisville as the same drivers but car insurance is a lot cheaper due to different state laws.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:35 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
And earlier today, I had a Lexus on my tail pushing me...women drivers
So turn off your engine and get a free ride.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:52 PM
eok

Quote:
Can't figure out why my rates are so high for Louisville.
I wonder if rates depend on the person's age. I know they partly depend on what car they drive. My insurance is liability only. I'm too frugal to drive an expensive car, so it wouldn't make sense for me to pay for collision and comprehensive insurance, when all I really need is liability.

I've heard they also take into account your credit scores, and whether you've had accidents or tickets. Also you can save some money by paying six months at a time. My monthly rate is around $35, from dividing my six month premium by six.

Part of why Kentucky is more expensive than other states might be that part of the premium is for taxes.

Geico is actually cheaper for me, if I only take car insurance into account. But State Farm gives discounts for having more than one kind of insurance with them. And that makes them cheaper for me overall.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,871,758 times
Someone told me a long time ago, your insurance rates depends on the zip code you live in.

Also, if I get mad enough.....I turn on my emergency light and slow down or take the foot of the gas

Old 09-23-2016, 06:08 AM

9,590 posts, read 20,481,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Someone told me a long time ago, your insurance rates depends on the zip code you live in.

Also, if I get mad enough.....I turn on my emergency light and slow down or take the foot of the gas
Louisville has small ZIP codes and if you move to a more urban ZIP you insurance goes up quite a bit. In my early 20s and car insurance in Lyndon was a bit more than Lexington. It went up a lot when I moved to the Highlands and then was sky high in Old Louisville. In hindsight I wouldn't live in Old Louisville just because my car insurance - despite a perfect driving record and having a cheap non sports car - was $150 a month or more. That's one hidden advantage living in the Victorian parts of New Albany IN has over a place like the Highlands, in Indiana the insurance is already cheaper (no fault state) and the ZIP codes cover each entire small city so you aren't punished for living in an urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or