Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 36,363 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband got a job in downtown Louisville and started working there. Me and kids are currently staying in Lexington KY till next May.
We want to chose the area where we will rent at first and then buy next year, hopefully.
I looked at the school system for Jefferson county and 5 out of 10 is pretty low, in my opinion.
We want to see KCD school and if we will be able to afford it boys will go there, if not then I am looking at Prospect KY and Oldham County school district.
Could someone please tell me more about Prospect. I noticed that half of it goes to Louisville schools and another half to Oldham county schools.
I saw few houses that we like at River Bluff area of Prospect.
I would appreciate any advice or help. We are family of 4 with 2 boys ages 6 and 8. We also have pets and are looking for safe, kids friendly neighborhoods.

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 08:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnyaka View Post
Hello,
My husband got a job in downtown Louisville and started working there. Me and kids are currently staying in Lexington KY till next May.
We want to chose the area where we will rent at first and then buy next year, hopefully.
I looked at the school system for Jefferson county and 5 out of 10 is pretty low, in my opinion.
We want to see KCD school and if we will be able to afford it boys will go there, if not then I am looking at Prospect KY and Oldham County school district.
Could someone please tell me more about Prospect. I noticed that half of it goes to Louisville schools and another half to Oldham county schools.
I saw few houses that we like at River Bluff area of Prospect.
I would appreciate any advice or help. We are family of 4 with 2 boys ages 6 and 8. We also have pets and are looking for safe, kids friendly neighborhoods.

Thank you very much!
Prospect straddles the Oldham/Jefferson line. If your Prospect home is in Oldham, you get Oldham, If not, you get Louisville.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:38 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,422,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Prospect straddles the Oldham/Jefferson line. If your Prospect home is in Oldham, you get Oldham, If not, you get Louisville.
Yeah, they mentioned that in their post.

River Bluff is a nice subdivision. Homes are older for a suburban area. That area off of Hwy 42 isn't as congested as the area by Norton Commons in Jefferson County off Hwy 22 but it's still likely a longer commute to downtown than it was in the early 90's when I lived in Prospect. Likely 35-45 minutes at the low end. That area of Prospect is great though and might be worth the extra commute in order to get better schools. In fact, I would argue that it's the best area right now in terms of value. The thing that's causing the congestion is the Gen Xers buying newer houses off Hwy 22 in what is still considered Prospect. Apparently my generation and millennials hate old houses? I don't, but my wife does. Guess who wins that battle?

Old 09-17-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
Yeah, they mentioned that in their post.

River Bluff is a nice subdivision. Homes are older for a suburban area. That area off of Hwy 42 isn't as congested as the area by Norton Commons in Jefferson County off Hwy 22 but it's still likely a longer commute to downtown than it was in the early 90's when I lived in Prospect. Likely 35-45 minutes at the low end. That area of Prospect is great though and might be worth the extra commute in order to get better schools. In fact, I would argue that it's the best area right now in terms of value. The thing that's causing the congestion is the Gen Xers buying newer houses off Hwy 22 in what is still considered Prospect. Apparently my generation and millennials hate old houses? I don't, but my wife does. Guess who wins that battle?
Thank you very much!
River Bluff that's probably where we will look into!

Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 AM

Hello,
We are still moving in few months.
Now we are looking at 3 areas

Prospect - Goshen Elementary
Crestwood/Orchard Grass Hills area - Kenwood Station Elementary
Douglass Hill Area in Louisville

What are your advice for those areas?

Thank you very much!

Old 01-26-2017, 01:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Hello,

Thank you very much!
Go with Goshen! Great schools over there and North Oldham is the best HS (Theyre all good though)

Old 01-27-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you very much!
I agree with Peter. Goshen is probably the best bet of the 3. Douglass Hill area might have a decent elementary school, but I've heard some pretty not cool things about Crosby Middle. My coworker pulled her kid out of there and moved the family back up to Cincinnati area to get him away from there.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I agree with Peter. Goshen is probably the best bet of the 3. Douglass Hill area might have a decent elementary school, but I've heard some pretty not cool things about Crosby Middle. My coworker pulled her kid out of there and moved the family back up to Cincinnati area to get him away from there.
Thank you very much for the response.
I am pretty sure we will focus our search in Goshen elementary - 1st choice and Kenwood Elementary as a back up!

Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Go with Goshen! Great schools over there and North Oldham is the best HS (Theyre all good though)
Thank you,
Are oldham county residents can get library cards in Louisville libraries? My both sons are big in reading. We go to library weekly
I am not sure about libraries in Prospect.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thank you,
Are oldham county residents can get library cards in Louisville libraries? My both sons are big in reading. We go to library weekly
I am not sure about libraries in Prospect.
You can - at worst it'd be $25 for the family. If you or your husband worked in Jefferson County then membership would be free by showing your work paystub. If not a resident or employed in Jefferson County then it'd be $25.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area