U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 PM

79 posts, read 80,960 times

Advertisements

Specifically the areas west of the Airport and east of Iroquois Park. Loved the park when we hiked it last spring but didn't much explore the neighborhoods in the area. My search shows lots of affordable homes in the area but I'm a bit apprehensive about crime and or blight if I choose a home. Any neighborhoods nicer than others ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
There are still some nice areas to the south of the park but the overall trend for that area is down. Louisville has had twice as many homicides this year (over 100) as usual and there are a lot more murders in areas north of the park than in the past. The whole SW side of town is having more homicides than it used to. It's part of a national trend where White working class areas have not recovered from the loss of factory jobs and the result is higher crime, unemployment, and falling life expectancy.

The Indiana side is mostly working class but has not seen increases in crime so far. If you're looking for affordable housing I'd like over here rather than the South side.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 4,833 times
I've lived on the North edge of the park for one year. Beechmont is across Taylor and is much prettier but we needed something cheap. Parts of our street look pretty junky. There are some eyesores.

We were robbed the very first time we went away for a weekend. They took two things and didn't mess anything up. In the weeks we first moved in, I had that feeling we were being watched but couldn't get security system set up in time. Got it all set up now and when alarm is tripped a motion detection camera snaps pics and instantly uploads them to s server.

The good news, the house was super cheap. Love the house. Love the view of the park. Love our neighbors, they are all pretty nice. We had only planned to stay a couple of years but now we figure we will stay long term and enjoy low house payment.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:28 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2lou View Post
I've lived on the North edge of the park for one year. Beechmont is across Taylor and is much prettier but we needed something cheap. Parts of our street look pretty junky. There are some eyesores.

We were robbed the very first time we went away for a weekend. They took two things and didn't mess anything up. In the weeks we first moved in, I had that feeling we were being watched but couldn't get security system set up in time. Got it all set up now and when alarm is tripped a motion detection camera snaps pics and instantly uploads them to s server.

The good news, the house was super cheap. Love the house. Love the view of the park. Love our neighbors, they are all pretty nice. We had only planned to stay a couple of years but now we figure we will stay long term and enjoy low house payment.
North of the park is pretty gritty. NW of the park along Gagle Ave is still pretty nice but the area around Taylor Blvd and I-264 is getting a lot worse, including gang activity. Kenwood Hill, Auburndale, and Parkwood still seem nice based on appearances. I was looking for cheap housing a couple years ago and choose New Albany because even the roughest areas have little violent crime. My neighbors are annoying but no crime problems at all 1.5 years in.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:28 AM

79 posts, read 80,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
North of the park is pretty gritty. NW of the park along Gagle Ave is still pretty nice but the area around Taylor Blvd and I-264 is getting a lot worse, including gang activity. Kenwood Hill, Auburndale, and Parkwood still seem nice based on appearances. I was looking for cheap housing a couple years ago and choose New Albany because even the roughest areas have little violent crime. My neighbors are annoying but no crime problems at all 1.5 years in.
How bout the area directly east of the park ? Looks fairly nice on google maps and the homes are affordable ?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:23 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,176,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natguy View Post
How bout the area directly east of the park ? Looks fairly nice on google maps and the homes are affordable ?
It's nice there. I think the issue is that the crime areas are only a mile or two a way in a few directions. The worst crime is north of the Watterson in that area, and even still, the crime isn't outrageous like West Louisville. Still, it is something that'd you have to have your guard up, and be ok if your car or home got vandalized like another poster said.

I also agree with census that if you want an older historic home, New Albany or Jeffersonville have more up side and may even be cheaper.

But Beechmont is a solid, historic, urban middle class area with a very active neighborhood association and a very diverse immigrant population that is stable economically.

https://beechmontky.wordpress.com/

Stick to the Beechmont and Kenwood areas south and east of the park. The further south you go, into Arnoldtown Rd is even nicer, and it is more of a suburban look with very nice subdivisions. These homes cost 250-300k and are just as nice as homes in the east suburbs which are identical which cost 600k.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2lou View Post

Why did you get the feeling you were being watched? also, how can you tell if you're being watched or not?

Old 02-23-2017, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 4,833 times
It was just instinct. An intuition told me we would be robbed as soon as we went out of town.

Beechmont is nice. I would have moved there if I had the choice. But now that I'm settled here, I don't feel like moving.

Beechmont does have home break-ins. I've heard of ones happening while the owners are home.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:20 PM

4,245 posts, read 5,748,743 times
"Specifically the areas west of the Airport and east of Iroquois Park."

Directly east of the park, east of New Cut, is Kenwood Hill, which I think is still a nice area. A lot of variety in housing stock and a somewhat picturesque area with narrow roads winding around the hill (more the north side of Kenwood Hill).

The top of the hill was built out in the 1970s, and was one of the better addresses in the South End. Probably still is.

At the base of the hill, Esplanade and Seneca are nice streets, as is Kenwood Ave. North, more toward Iroquois Manor shopping center, is WWII war worker crackerbox houses. I think this is becoming an immigrant area.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,973,430 times
Agree with the neighborhood snapshot from the previous poster. So close to Iroquois park top the south is Cardinal Hill which is nice as well as the streets Arnoldtown and St Anthony's church rd. The low end availability and increased section 8 in the area has begun changing the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area