U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 02:38 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,157,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Progressive and left leaning/democrat voters here are a strange bunch. I almost feel like they take "odd" to a whole new level. Is this like mini Portland or something? Contrast that to the white power, good old boy attitude of the outer ring suburbs and you have a very unbalanced population.

It's almost like meeting a centrist here is rare.

They both annoy me in different ways.
Wonder if this is why people were recommending Louisville to me back when I asked about it?

Asheville is the same way and it doesn't really work.

Very irritating as someone who's more of a centrist (with some Libertarian leanings).

The best and the worst thing Louisville has going for it is that it's in KY, which is a state a lot of people are down on deservedly or not so.

I'd think another plus for Louisville is it's close to a lot of other cities.

How are you finding the nightlife?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 07:26 AM

4,801 posts, read 3,453,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Wonder if this is why people were recommending Louisville to me back when I asked about it?

Asheville is the same way and it doesn't really work.

Very irritating as someone who's more of a centrist (with some Libertarian leanings).

The best and the worst thing Louisville has going for it is that it's in KY, which is a state a lot of people are down on deservedly or not so.

I'd think another plus for Louisville is it's close to a lot of other cities.

How are you finding the nightlife?
The nightlife is OK. But trying to compare it to Chicago would disappoint me. There are some decent options. Baxter Ave and Bardstown Rd are what I like but it cam get old. Some OK options in St. Matthews. I wouldn't even classify Louisville as a big night life city. It's more of a foodie city than that from what I have seen. I feel like coming to Louisville and expecting great nightlife when having been exposed to bigger things can be disheartening.

Don't get me wrong. There are options but they can get old quick as they are limited. Also as a single man, the lower percentage of single girls here is obviously not great. The higher percentage of bigger girls here is not my cup of tea, either. Oh well, I will manage. I look at this as a challenge LOL

Now as far as proximity to bigger cities I would say that is a plus. Cincinnati is close so a 100 mile drive takes you to options you wouldn't have in Louisville.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 3,555,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Thanks for the response, Peter. Here are more thoughts:

-Logistics. If you need to find something, it is stored somewhere in Louisville or near Louisville. Your shopping needs of anything are fulfilled here. Fulfillment warehouses are the name of the game here.

-The roads go nowhere. Outside of main arterials and downtown, the city has roads that repeat in name (how many Kentucky avenues do we really need?) and if you commute, you really have no direct route.

-Nobody knows how to drive. I know every city has this problem doesn't it? But why is it that only in Louisville drivers manage to overturn their car even without a steep grade present? Mondays always seem to guarantee a wreck on Snyder or Watterson or 65.

-TARC might as well not exist. Show up to your stop early? Might not matter because the driver didn't feel like waiting so he left even earlier. Now you're waiting at least 30 minutes for the next guy and you're late to work.

-Architecture. It is awesome. From Cherokee Triangle to Norton Commons, there's something for everybody.
Some streets are broken up, there's not more than one, such as Manslick and St Andrews Church. They span the city, just not consistantly. Not sure what you mean by go nowhere...probably helps the not-getting-lost thing the city has, since many major streets happen to loop around, and intersect, tie in with secondary streets. I understand TARC, on the second and third, the #6 was a nightmare. We do have dumb drivers, but I think Hoosiers are worse. It is humorous cruisiing down Preston and seeing this defeated person sitting on their trunk sticking out one of the ditchbanks. Somebody takes out the gaurd rail on Vim every time it rains. Oh sweet goddess, don't let anything but sunbeams fall from the sky...

Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Coming from Chicago, the biggest culture shock to me wasn't the architecture or accents.

It was the lack of transit.

Granted, Tarc DOES have some good routes. I lived in Bardstown Rd and used it efficiently. I could catch a different bus every 10-15 mins.

But anywhere else, and it is average at best. My biggest pet peeve here? Why not strive for more? Why spend 2 billion on some dumb bridges when we could have built the best transit system of any medium large city in the world for that!

Traffic has gotten bad and we need trains/light rail. Something.
Light rails they've talked about once before...I forsee more wrecks than TARC gets in to. I think the main busses(ie #23) run every 15mins, busses like the 29, 27, and 12 lol.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldedixie View Post
I'm a native Kentuckian and have family in Louisville, so when I graduated from college, I was pretty confident that it would be a great city for me when I landed my first job there. Instead, I found what you found. It was very difficult to meet people outside of work. By that, I mean it was difficult to meet people who actually wanted to hang out beyond the casual bar conversation. My DH experienced the same. Everything was, "Where did you go to high school?" We're from southern Kentucky, so we didn't know much about the Louisville high school scene or anyone who had been in that scene.

After two years, we moved to Chicago for an adventure. When we made the decision to move back to the South, Louisville didn't make the list of potential cities. We ended up in Nashville.

I actually really like Louisville as a city. It has a lot of positives. It's apparently growing a lot now, which is great for the city and Kentucky as a whole. However, I do feel that if you're not a native of Louisville--even as a Kentuckian--it can be difficult to break into the culture and make some friends.
Haha I didn't make friends until I joined OccupyLouisville...seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or