U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2016, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 5,024 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a 22 y/o male and I just found out that I will be moving to Louisville area for work in early/mid March. I'm an engineer for a large company, and rotate to work on different projects at different facilities around the country every 8-10 months, so I will only be in the Louisville area until late November/early December. I lived in Upstate NY (Saratoga area) most of my life, went to college in Rhode Island, and have lived and worked in Columbus, OH since June.

I've never been to Louisville, but plan on making a trip in January to look at some apartments and I have absolutely no idea where or what areas to look at. I will actually be working in Shelbyville, so that could help possibly narrow it down to some areas. The shorter commute the better, but I know that I'll probably have to drive at least 30 minutes to work. The only two places that I have heard of are an apartment complex called LC Idlewild (the have mutliple places in Columbus and have a great reputation) and an area called Norton Commons. If anyone has suggestions of areas or complexes to look at that are more popular with young professionals please let me know! I don't need to live right in downtown or anything, but also don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. I know nobody in the area so any help would be appreciated. Fortunately, my budget is pretty flexible due to getting a relocation and living stipend. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM

356 posts, read 216,764 times
I live at LC Idlewild and love it. Well maintained and vibrant property. Lifestyle Communities always does a good job of getting residents involved through fitness classes at the OM Fitness Club, a running club and trips to Nashville for the residents. They also have an onsite restaurant called the Goat which has live music usually every weekend. Also, the Middletown area of Louisville that Idlewild is in is really nice and close to stores, shopping, restaurants, etc. Shelbyville is about 20 minutes away and you can take either US 60 there for the scenic drive or 265 to I-64 E which is a short easy commute.

Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM

9,594 posts, read 20,499,661 times
Main young professional areas are all along I-64 east of downtown, inside I-264 for urban living and outside I-264 for suburban. There is little crime in that area as well. From I-265 to the main part of Shelbyville is only 15 miles / minutes and the interstate was recently upgraded and should have no rush hour delays unless there's a crash. The state's most upscale outlet mall just opened in Simpsonville. Shelbyville is nice with a population of 12k, if you want to be in the city look at the newer apartment complexes near I-64.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I live at LC Idlewild and love it. Well maintained and vibrant property. Lifestyle Communities always does a good job of getting residents involved through fitness classes at the OM Fitness Club, a running club and trips to Nashville for the residents. They also have an onsite restaurant called the Goat which has live music usually every weekend. Also, the Middletown area of Louisville that Idlewild is in is really nice and close to stores, shopping, restaurants, etc. Shelbyville is about 20 minutes away and you can take either US 60 there for the scenic drive or 265 to I-64 E which is a short easy commute.
Great! But is it a place that young professionals live/people around my age live? Like I said, it's seems a little far away from downtown, not that I need to be right downtown, but I do like that it would be closer to work for me.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:24 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,205,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgarabedian View Post
Great! But is it a place that young professionals live/people around my age live? Like I said, it's seems a little far away from downtown, not that I need to be right downtown, but I do like that it would be closer to work for me.
The more young professional areas are indeed closer to downtown....Highlands and St Matthews mainly, but also Clifton, Crescent Hill, Butchertown, Nulu, and to a lesser extent, downtown and Old Louisville.

If you are going to live in the suburbs and need to work in Shelbyville, LC Idlewild is not a bad choice. I would say plenty of young professionals, a very fast growing area (I think it has double din size), and it has its own bar (the Goat) and fitness club along with pool in the community. Still, it isn't a hotbed of 22-25 year olds. You mentioned Norton Commons which is also nice, but if you are going to go that far, I'd just assume live off I-64 at Canons (near St Matthews) of I-64 near Grinstead (Highlands) which are more your age and demographic.

Louisville is a pretty similar city to Columbus, so I think you will like it. Be sure not to put yourself in a boring, isolated suburban complex or it will likely end up making you hate the city. I would say LC Idlewild is one which does a good job at least at trying to be a "neighborhood."

Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 PM

242 posts, read 308,799 times
LC Idlewild as others have mentioned the very nice complex however, it's very remote from any part of town that has any kind of interesting nightlife or other social agendas. St. Matthew's has been mentioned previously and it's probably a good area for you to look into. It's a little further away from Shelbyville where you will be working but it's got good access to I 64 so it wouldn't make the drive that bad. It had many more clubs and other social activities. 
The Highlands, Clifton etc. also have this type of activity but are significantly farther away from where you will be working. Norton Commons is a very nice community but again has very little nightlife and is quite expensive.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I was looking in the St. Matthew's area and that seems like it a good area. Someone that used to work at the site where I am going to also mentioned that Hurstbourne is a good area to look at also, so I'll probably do that as well.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:10 PM

242 posts, read 308,799 times
Please let us know where you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or