Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 AM

17 posts, read 23,797 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I recently got a job offer in Louisville. The initial salary that they are offering is 50k plus benefits. Since I have never been in Louisville before, I am not sure if that's a good salary to make a living there. Can anyone let me know if this salary offered is a good one for Louisville metropolitan area? Thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,326,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domar1990 View Post
Greetings. I recently got a job offer in Louisville. The initial salary that they are offering is 50k plus benefits. Since I have never been in Louisville before, I am not sure if that's a good salary to make a living there. Can anyone let me know if this salary offered is a good one for Louisville metropolitan area? Thank you in advance.
Will it just be yourself as far as income goes?

50K will go a decently long way in the Louisville area. Depending where you will be working location wise, there are many suburbs and areas near Louisville within 15-30mins that you can get a lot of "bang for your buck". Where will your job be at?

Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Will it just be yourself as far as income goes?

50K will go a decently long way in the Louisville area. Depending where you will be working location wise, there are many suburbs and areas near Louisville within 15-30mins that you can get a lot of "bang for your buck". Where will your job be at?
Yeah, it's 50k income just for me and 2 dogs. I dont know exactly where the job is going to be located yet. But given the research I have done about Louisville, I would like to live in the East side of the metropolitan area regardless of where the job is located.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's 50k income just for me and 2 dogs. I dont know exactly where the job is going to be located yet. But given the research I have done about Louisville, I would like to live in the East side of the metropolitan area regardless of where the job is located.
The East End is definitely the "go to" spot. The Highlands is full of life, parks, restaurants, everything is there. You could also venture into the St.Mathews area, Middletown, and Hurstbourne area. All are nice and safe

May I ask what your budget for renting or buying would be?

Old 04-26-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The East End is definitely the "go to" spot. The Highlands is full of life, parks, restaurants, everything is there. You could also venture into the St.Mathews area, Middletown, and Hurstbourne area. All are nice and safe

May I ask what your budget for renting or buying would be?
Well, for the first year I would like to rent an apartment while I get use to Louisville and decide if I want to stay permanently there. So I would like to find a nice apartment for less than 1,000 per month. I have been looking in Realtor.com some apartments and I have found some nice ones in the East End for 700 to 1,200 per month. But I don't know if those apartments are fully furnished, since I would like a fully furnished apartment for the first year... I want to buy stuff and appliances only when I decide to stay permanently.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:00 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,361,632 times
There are web sites out there that will allow you to compare the cost of living in your current city to louavul...that will give you the best info to use for your decision.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
$50k is higher than the median family income of most counties in the metro area. That's a very good income for one person especially if your student loans aren't bad.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Well, for the first year I would like to rent an apartment while I get use to Louisville and decide if I want to stay permanently there. So I would like to find a nice apartment for less than 1,000 per month. I have been looking in Realtor.com some apartments and I have found some nice ones in the East End for 700 to 1,200 per month. But I don't know if those apartments are fully furnished, since I would like a fully furnished apartment for the first year... I want to buy stuff and appliances only when I decide to stay permanently.
I've never looked into furnished apartments when I lived in Louisville. I always had my own stuff, then again I never relocated to Louisville (I was born & raised there).

I moved to California about a year ago and brought all my stuff with me in a uHaul.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:16 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
I make $50k in DC, if I could make that in Louisville I'd move back. You won't have many issues making ends meet on that salary in Louisville.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 15,831 times
Did anyone else catch the news yesterday of the aluminum manufacturing plant that promises an average pay to 550 of $38/hr in South Shore?

Made coming to work today a little hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area