U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
 
100 posts, read 82,442 times
Reputation: 101

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrashed View Post
Hi again,

Hope everything is going well, I have a question about most foreign residents are exempt from social security and medicare tax what does it means, so i will not paying those taxes and will be only federal and state taxes ?

i actually didn't realize when I said that that that isn't really the case since I've mainly just talked to j and f visa holders through my line of work who are exempt. To get a real answer you'll have to know what your visa type is.





This link will tell you if you are exempt from those taxes https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...security-taxes
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2019, 12:50 AM
 
14 posts, read 7,886 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
i actually didn't realize when I said that that that isn't really the case since I've mainly just talked to j and f visa holders through my line of work who are exempt. To get a real answer you'll have to know what your visa type is.





This link will tell you if you are exempt from those taxes https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...security-taxes


My Visa type is L1 Visa, I'm worried because I have checked through tax calculator how much social security tax and medicare tax will it be. I found them both are around 6000 dollars.

I have checked the link didnt find L type.

do you suggest a accurate tax calculator to get the exact estimate.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM
 
100 posts, read 82,442 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrashed View Post
My Visa type is L1 Visa, I'm worried because I have checked through tax calculator how much social security tax and medicare tax will it be. I found them both are around 6000 dollars.

I have checked the link didnt find L type.

do you suggest a accurate tax calculator to get the exact estimate.

From what I understand you probably would not be exempt from those taxes with an L-1 Visa but that's far from certain so you'll really need to talk to an accountant to find out the real answer. As far as I know, which isn't far, your SS and Medicare tax rates would be the same as American citizens' rates, which are known numbers so you can calculate it from the posted rates. They're posted in this article for example https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...care-tax-rate/. Based on those rates $6k is pretty realistic if you're making like ~$80k a year, but of course talking to an accountant would be a good idea to learn what will really happen.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2019, 11:58 PM
 
14 posts, read 7,886 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubedeathk View Post
From what I understand you probably would not be exempt from those taxes with an L-1 Visa but that's far from certain so you'll really need to talk to an accountant to find out the real answer. As far as I know, which isn't far, your SS and Medicare tax rates would be the same as American citizens' rates, which are known numbers so you can calculate it from the posted rates. They're posted in this article for example https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/i...care-tax-rate/. Based on those rates $6k is pretty realistic if you're making like ~$80k a year, but of course talking to an accountant would be a good idea to learn what will really happen.
Thank you very much, but are those percentage differ if I'm married and have a child or don't differ between single and married.

I would like to add that I will pay around 6000 per year medical insurance so why will i pay medicare tax ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2019, 09:22 AM
 
100 posts, read 82,442 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrashed View Post
Thank you very much, but are those percentage differ if I'm married and have a child or don't differ between single and married.

I would like to add that I will pay around 6000 per year medical insurance so why will i pay medicare tax ?

Filing jointly or singly doesn't affect social security or medicare.



I think that part is kind of controversial because it is kind of odd for visitors to pay FICA if they won't stick around to collect, but I think the reason why some visa types are not exempt is that there is the possibility that they could get a green card and stay indefinitely, as opposed to shorter term definite term visas. I know some people want there to be some kind of refund if they do leave, but for now I think that's just how it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 AM
 
1 posts, read 40 times
Reputation: 10
How is St Matthews Mall Gate Complex to move to??

Moving to st Matthews , how is the area to live??

Last edited by Count David; 02-13-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:23 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
9,691 posts, read 20,780,685 times
Reputation: 9218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellavargas2 View Post
How is St Matthews Mall Gate Complex to move to??

Moving to st Matthews , how is the area to live??
Affluent area. Not much violent crime, traffic bad near mall.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top