U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:40 AM

921 posts, read 1,253,748 times

Advertisements

I miss a lot of the food and drink there but hot browns and mint juleps are not among the things I miss lol. I miss vietnam kitchen, eiderdown, wiltshire on market and the bean soup at chek's cafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 04:46 PM

9,627 posts, read 7,629,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I miss a lot of the food and drink there but hot browns and mint juleps are not among the things I miss lol. I miss vietnam kitchen, eiderdown, wiltshire on market and the bean soup at chek's cafe.
With you on mint juleps, but I can't do without hot browns, especially during Kentucky winters.

Haven't sampled the other places you mention, but will put them on the list for my next Louisville visit.

Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 AM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
I've never lived anywhere else, I don't think it's the best city on earth. Living here my whole life then inner city seems smaller than it really is. I find myself bored. The only reason we had so much rain is because of the two hurricanes, we always get the flash rain from hurricanes and there was two going nearly at the same time. You can't really rely on the weather, though. We had a hail storm in june. We don't get as much snow as we used to, winter is usually Nov/Dec to Feburary maybe all the way to March seemingly. I personally love the heat, cold is just depressing, uncomfortable, unwanted.

We are a booze city, slowly gotten in to foodee teritory, music scene is decent, especially if you like rock. During the summer we have free concerts called Water Front Wendsday. Way too much road work, puic transportation sucks. There's a nice counter-culture and things to find if you know where to look. The city is supposedly one of the most affordable places to live(ignoring southern indiana). It's hard to tell, though, especially with all the stupid upscale apartments poping up everywhere along with the incessant amount of hotels. Yes the west end is mostly(excluding portland) the black area, but we are all over the city and I personally think much of the city has a ghetto feel to it, from Portland, Okolona, Newburg, Wyandotte, Buechel, Cane Run area, Shively, Pleasure Ridge Park, sections of Old Louisville, Church Hill Downs area, Iroquois, California and some other neighbourhoods and absorbed cities/towns. You'll notice though, that the city seems to be divided by what's called the 9th st divide that kinda seperates the west end from the rest of the city. 9th street seperates downtown from the closest projects(now being torn down), it continues, becoming Roy Wilkins, then turning to 7th st, which splits Old Louisville from the "west end" which most eastern edge is actually part of the central area of the city, then turns in to 7th st Rd.

You can't really get lost in the city within Jefferson county, we have many major roads and some are intersecting, if not minutes away from each other, especially the highways such as Preston, Bardstown rd, Sbelbyville rd. A lot of them are extremely long roads that spanse the whole county or a fair amount of it. Shelbyville Rd goes to Shelbyville, Bardstown rd goes to Bardstown, Dixie hwy not only runs to Radcliff and Fort Knox, it technically runs all the way to Florida. Preston, Dixie, Bardstown, Cane Run(which turns in to Green Belt hwy and then to the 264 expressway), 3rd st, 4th st., Frankfort ave/Shelbyville rd are major streets that run north to south. Broadway, Eastern Parkway, Main st., Fern Valley(which turns in to Hurstbourne prky) run east/west. Manslick is a weird road that runs the spanse of the city, but not sequencially. Waterson Trail and Stony Brook cross over Hurstbourne two or three times. I've always said it takes two weeks to learn how to completely navigate the city. Though the expressways can get confusing with 64(basically runs north/south), 264(runs west/east), 265(often shortened to 65, named the Waterson Expressway, also west/east), 64 is practically in the middle running between 1st street and Brook st. There's also 71.

We have the largest amount of victorian era mansions in the country, most of which are in Old Louisville, but... not all of them are there. There are a few in the west end. We also have the most shotgun houses in the country. I don't know how they compare to other cities, but we have a few local chain stores; Wicks Pizza, Spinellis Pizza, Carmichaels Bookstores, Hiene Bros Coffee, I think Value Market Grocery store might be one. I'll throw in Molly Malones restaurant&pub and Parkside Bike shop, Book and Music Exchange. The city is fairly bicycle friendly, people can't drive worth a damn, especially if anything but sunbeams fall from the sky. And since Kytoaz has posted(long time no see), I believe Pheonix AZ is where Spinellis opened another store a few years ago.

The city has a mix of southern(you do know ky is a southern state, right) and midwestern mentalities because of how close it is to Indiana and Missouri, a lot of the city is liberal persay, but still conservative. It seems like everybody knows everybody... and we'll all know you too. College sports is life here for some stupid reason. You'll literally see University of Louisville stuff everywhere and I think they are trying to take over the city with many medical buildings and a literal hospital, which many will say sucks(it kinda does) yet performed the first successfull artificial heart transplant and I believe leads the country in it, also has two campusus, has it's own police and taxi company, two or three stadiums.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 PM

921 posts, read 1,253,748 times
Yes Spinelli's opened in Tempe. I saw a guy with a Spinelli's shirt and I excitedly asked him where he got the shirt, expecting him to be from Louisville. He said "work' and looked at me strangely lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or