Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:56 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,903,640 times

Advertisements

Well it's been 5 years since the wife and I sold our home in okolona and moved to Phoenix and I can honestly say it was a great decision for us. I love desert life and don't miss the torrential rain and gloom of the ohio valley. I do miss the food. Oh how I miss the food. While louisville wasn't right for us I still speak highly of it and encourage people to visit. Just thought I would give an update as I used to be a frequent poster here. And to all those that said "you'll be back in a year" it's been 5 and i'm never coming back. Not here to bash the ville just sharing my story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 05:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,614,385 times
I'm considering Louisville and used to live in Phoenix (Chandler actually). I would love to hear your comparison of the two.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:20 PM

The biggest downer of Louisville for me was the weather. It rains all the time. 91 average days of sunshine. By february i was ready to hurl myself into traffic it was so depressing. Louisville is also a very insular place. Lots of people there don't travel. I mean I knew several educated people that never went ANYWHERE. And if they do travel it's Florida or myrtle beach. This type of thing leads to a very skewed world view in my opinion. Most people in Louisville will argue that it is the best city on earth and they truly believe it. These same people however have never lived anywhere else. While it has many good quality's, which I will get to, it certainly isn't the greatest place on earth.I have also found that while people will say hello to you, the overall vibe of the city is very negative. I feel this has a lot to do with the weather. There is also what i refer to as a strong trashy culture in parts of the city. It's also a fairly segregated city, with the west end being the 'black" part of town. While arizona gets a bad rap for this kind of stuff I found the racial tensions and divides in louisville to be much worse.

Now for the good. The food scene there is top notch. I mean it's comparable to any culinary destination in the states. There are literally hundreds of incredible restaurants. I still remember meals I had 6 years ago there. The city has an amazing park system designed by olmstead which is truly world class, although the weather prevents enjoying it for large parts of the year. The city is also home to the largest victorian neighborhood in america, old louisville, which is filled with amazing giant architectural gems, just be careful walking there at night. There are a few really cool urban hoods like germantown and clifton but my favorite part of Louisville is the highlands. It truly is a very unique and awesome area. The mix of people range from doctors and lawyers to hippies, artists and punk rockers and everything in between. Bardstown rd runs through the heart of it and is populated with bars, restaurants and shops mostly of the local variety. Cherokee park is in the heart of this area and is the crown jewell of the olmstead park system there in my opinion. The center of the city has a lot of great culture within short distances. After living in phoenix when I go back it seems so tiny.

Please keep in mind that I haven't lived there for 5 years so i'm sure some things have changed, but i was there for over 20 years and feel like I know the city very very well.
Bottom line, it's a nice place if you don't mind not seeing the sun for 15 straight days several times a year. Hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter but not much snow just lots of cold rain. If not for the weather I still might be there but having lived in the southwest and experiencing a different climate I could never live there again.
And be prepared to tell people what high school you went to, they're going to ask (it's a Louisville thing).

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-02-2018 at 06:29 AM.. Reason: Removed negative racial comment

Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 PM

26,691 posts, read 41,633,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Well it's been 5 years since the wife and I sold our home in okolona and moved to Phoenix and I can honestly say it was a great decision for us. I love desert life and don't miss the torrential rain and gloom of the ohio valley. I do miss the food. Oh how I miss the food. While louisville wasn't right for us I still speak highly of it and encourage people to visit. Just thought I would give an update as I used to be a frequent poster here. And to all those that said "you'll be back in a year" it's been 5 and i'm never coming back. Not here to bash the ville just sharing my story.
It has been 6 for me since I decided to move from the Ville back to Washington DC. It was the right decision career wise. Now that I’ve helped my resume, I’m more amenable to give Louisville a second chance. Mainly I want to live closer to my mother since she is getting older. My preference would be Cincinnati but wouldn’t turn down a decent opportunity in Louisville. I miss the hell out of Indi’s and Waterfront Park.

OP, very glad you found somewhere that you love. Of course, a lot of places are better then Okolona.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 PM

7,069 posts, read 16,692,578 times
Quote:
The biggest downer of Louisville for me was the weather. It rains all the time. 91 average days of sunshine. By february i was ready to hurl myself into traffic it was so depressing. Louisville is also a very insular place. Lots of people there don't travel. I mean I knew several educated people that never went ANYWHERE. And if they do travel it's Florida or myrtle beach. This type of thing leads to a very skewed world view in my opinion. Most people in Louisville will argue that it is the best city on earth and they truly believe it. These same people however have never lived anywhere else. While it has many good quality's, which I will get to, it certainly isn't the greatest place on earth.I have also found that while people will say hello to you, the overall vibe of the city is very negative. I feel this has a lot to do with the weather. There is also what i refer to as a strong white trash culture in parts of the city. It's also a fairly segregated city, with the west end being the 'black" part of town. While arizona gets a bad rap for this kind of stuff I found the racial tensions and divides in louisville to be much worse.

Now for the good. The food scene there is top notch. I mean it's comparable to any culinary destination in the states. There are literally hundreds of incredible restaurants. I still remember meals I had 6 years ago there. The city has an amazing park system designed by olmstead which is truly world class, although the weather prevents enjoying it for large parts of the year. The city is also home to the largest victorian neighborhood in america, old louisville, which is filled with amazing giant architectural gems, just be careful walking there at night. There are a few really cool urban hoods like germantown and clifton but my favorite part of Louisville is the highlands. It truly is a very unique and awesome area. The mix of people range from doctors and lawyers to hippies, artists and punk rockers and everything in between. Bardstown rd runs through the heart of it and is populated with bars, restaurants and shops mostly of the local variety. Cherokee park is in the heart of this area and is the crown jewell of the olmstead park system there in my opinion. The center of the city has a lot of great culture within short distances. After living in phoenix when I go back it seems so tiny.

Please keep in mind that I haven't lived there for 5 years so i'm sure some things have changed, but i was there for over 20 years and feel like I know the city very very well.
Bottom line, it's a nice place if you don't mind not seeing the sun for 15 straight days several times a year. Hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter but not much snow just lots of cold rain. If not for the weather I still might be there but having lived in the southwest and experiencing a different climate I could never live there again.
And be prepared to tell people what high school you went to, they're going to ask (it's a Louisville thing).

Louisville has changed DRASTICIALLY in the last 5 years. There has been more construction and also population growth in the last 5 years than there were in the 20 before combined. The city is on quite a roll.

Personally, you mention white trash but Phoenix has trash of every color, especially Mexican but also white, black, you name it. Louisville is an older, more interesting city. Some areas look run down but not like a Cleveland or Pittsburgh....there are way more areas beautified and restored. You can't create this sense of place and architecture in the sunbelt. Phoenix doesn't really even feel like a city, just a collection of sprawl towns. No thanks. That and 115 degree dry heat? No thanks. Yeah Louisville has 2-3 months of crummy weather, but it has 6 months of excellent weather. September this year was the wettest in the history of the city and it still feels like it has been pretty nice, was 90s at first, now 70s and 80s. I prefer 4 equal seasons.

Also, no offense, but Okolona is probably the worst suburb of Louisville after perhaps Valley Station or PRP. You would have had a way different perception elsewhere, even in S Indiana.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville has changed DRASTICIALLY in the last 5 years. There has been more construction and also population growth in the last 5 years than there were in the 20 before combined. The city is on quite a roll.

Louisville is an older, more interesting city. Some areas look run down but not like a Cleveland or Pittsburgh....there are way more areas beautified and restored. You can't create this sense of place and architecture in the sunbelt. Phoenix doesn't really even feel like a city, just a collection of sprawl towns. No thanks. That and 115 degree dry heat? No thanks. Yeah Louisville has 2-3 months of crummy weather, but it has 6 months of excellent weather. September this year was the wettest in the history of the city and it still feels like it has been pretty nice, was 90s at first, now 70s and 80s. I prefer 4 equal seasons.

Also, no offense, but Okolona is probably the worst suburb of Louisville after perhaps Valley Station or PRP. You would have had a way different perception elsewhere, even in S Indiana.
To each their own.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-02-2018 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 PM

16 posts, read 29,629 times
How do you deal with the oppressive heat? Forecasts put Phoenix at the same climate as Kuwait City by 2050. I'm not sure I could handle it, or want to deal with it.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM

The other day i was sitting outside in the shade on my patio at 106 and was comfortable. Granted, outdoor activities are not advised during the summer but 8 months a year here is perfection. people like to poke fun at the dry heat thing but it really is true. we don't even get in the pool here until it's in the 100's. Like I said, to each their own, but I much prefer the dry heat to the humidity. And there are millions of people who agree with me as phoenix is one of the fastest growing cities. There are plenty of people that hate it though lol. I myself love the desert.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It has been 6 for me since I decided to move from the Ville back to Washington DC. It was the right decision career wise. Now that I’ve helped my resume, I’m more amenable to give Louisville a second chance. Mainly I want to live closer to my mother since she is getting older. My preference would be Cincinnati but wouldn’t turn down a decent opportunity in Louisville. I miss the hell out of Indi’s and Waterfront Park.

OP, very glad you found somewhere that you love. Of course, a lot of places are better then Okolona.
okolona is awful but I also lived in many other parts of the city and spent as little time in okolona as i could lol

Old 10-03-2018, 04:08 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Quote:
Glad you're happy - but you're not even going to come back to your old Kentucky home on occasion for the food??

Hot browns, mint juleps, catfish, Ale-8-One, Bibb lettuce, beer cheese, burgoo, Derby pie, real fried chicken, lamb fries (well, maybe not the lamb fries).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area