Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 9,625 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My family is looking to relocate to the Louisville area. My brother already lives in Louisville, but his area is a little more congested than we were wanting. He has recommended Oldham County and the cities of Crestwood, Middletown, Lagrange, Jeffersontown, and Fern Creek. Our desire is a mid-size home (2,000-3,000 sqf) and a few acres (5 or more would be amazing!). Currently we live in a suburb of Asheville, NC and we love that we are close to a little downtown, but also are away from the congestion and have easy access to parks and trails. Something similar would be great- where we could drive 15-20 mins at most to a downtown/city, but still have the acreage with our home. Any recommendations?

We are a family with 4 small children and love being involved with our community (church, libraries, playgrounds, festivals, etc.). Also, any info on schools would be wonderful! I've read Oldham county has great schools, but is that too far out from a city and are there young families in the area? Also, my husband and I are both teachers, so any recommendations on which counties are best to work for (environment, insurance, pay, etc.) would helpful.

I realize I'm all over the place with questions, but so many things to consider and would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 AM

36 posts, read 36,273 times
you may also want to consider Southern Indiana... specifically near New Albany or Jeffersonville. Those are right across the river from downtown Louisville, and you'll get more for your money there.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Thank you for the response! We looked into that, but the drive would take a good bit longer to be closer to my brother and his family- they are the main reason we are moving there, so don't want to get too far away. I appreciate your help though!

Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna203 View Post
Thank you for the response! We looked into that, but the drive would take a good bit longer to be closer to my brother and his family- they are the main reason we are moving there, so don't want to get too far away. I appreciate your help though!
100% Oldham Co for you both to live and work. I am surprised Asheille has "suburbs 20 mins" away. It feels like a really small town to me. Louisville is similar but about 3 times bigger, but not really a big city.

Most Parts of Oldham Co are within 30 mins of the best urban neighborhoods, theatre, arts, etc. Unlike Ashville, there is more urban neighborhoods to explore, and this includes the old parts of the S. Indiana cities you mentioned.

I think Crestwood, as close to I-71 exits as you can be, will be best for you to combine your need for acres but still close to "life" and excellent schools. Your main shopping areas will be Springhurst Town Center and Paddock Shops in that area, which are under 15-20 min drive in the very NE part of Jefferson Co. Crestwood does have a basic grocery, Walmart, and a Starbucks, plus a few small shops and restaurants. Although Crestwood is densely populated, it feels very rural and the locals like it that way.

Also nearby is Norton Commons, which is sort of a "Disneyland" town but has a few nice shops and restaurants to give you an urban feel without having to drive downtown Louisville or the Highlands, Crescent Hill, or Clifton. Also La Grange will be nearby for that kind of flair with plenty of cute shops on a small town square.

Welcome to Louisville. It has everything you love about Asheville except the mountains, and much more of everything you love like shopping, arts, music, and food. Just less hype...shhhh!

Old 10-13-2018, 06:17 AM

Thank you so much for your help!! Yes! I am looking forward to less of the Asheville hype! We love it here, but the tourists and busyness are getting to be too much. Plus we are so excited to be by family! But yes- we live in Weaverville, which is just 15/20 min drive to Asheville.....not bad at all, but SO pricey! I am going to look into all the areas you suggested- have already found a few houses in the Crestwood/Lagrange area that we like (at least online!) so hopefully something will work out soon. Thank you again for all your advice!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:42 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,423,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanna203 View Post
Thank you so much for your help!! Yes! I am looking forward to less of the Asheville hype! We love it here, but the tourists and busyness are getting to be too much. Plus we are so excited to be by family! But yes- we live in Weaverville, which is just 15/20 min drive to Asheville.....not bad at all, but SO pricey! I am going to look into all the areas you suggested- have already found a few houses in the Crestwood/Lagrange area that we like (at least online!) so hopefully something will work out soon. Thank you again for all your advice!
I personally would recommend Shelbyville over Crestwood/Lagrange. Lagrange to me is just too far from the city and Shelbyville offers similar amenities with a cheaper price tag and closer proximity to downtown Louisville via I-64. Traffic is AWFUL on I-71 in both directions to and from Crestwood/Lagrange no matter the time of day. Shelbyville only really has issues with the I-265 intersection on I-64 during rush - everything else is generally smoother.

Oldham County is kinda the hyped area of Louisville, so if you're tired of hype and want to save some money, I wouldn't really consider it.

Personally, the only big difference between Louisville and Asheville to me is the mountains (+ side for Asheville) and bourbon instead of beer (+ side to Louisville IMO). I prefer Asheville aesthetically, and my uncle just retired there, but Louisville was home to me for 20 years, and since my wife and I MUCH prefer bourbon over beer, Asheville loses some points there because there's really no good place that focuses on spirits - it's a huge beer town.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServoMiff View Post
I personally would recommend Shelbyville over Crestwood/Lagrange. Lagrange to me is just too far from the city and Shelbyville offers similar amenities with a cheaper price tag and closer proximity to downtown Louisville via I-64. Traffic is AWFUL on I-71 in both directions to and from Crestwood/Lagrange no matter the time of day. Shelbyville only really has issues with the I-265 intersection on I-64 during rush - everything else is generally smoother.

Oldham County is kinda the hyped area of Louisville, so if you're tired of hype and want to save some money, I wouldn't really consider it.

Personally, the only big difference between Louisville and Asheville to me is the mountains (+ side for Asheville) and bourbon instead of beer (+ side to Louisville IMO). I prefer Asheville aesthetically, and my uncle just retired there, but Louisville was home to me for 20 years, and since my wife and I MUCH prefer bourbon over beer, Asheville loses some points there because there's really no good place that focuses on spirits - it's a huge beer town.
Servo, I thought you moved out of Louisville again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area