Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 AM

34 posts, read 95,600 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to what it would be like to live in New Albany. What are all the good parts as well as the not-so-good? How is the weather in the summer? How safe is it to live there, especially in the Spring Street/Elm Street area and the other streets in that area? Are there any areas to avoid?
For those who live there, how is it living with neighbors so close by? (We've been country folks for many years, but if we moved there, we'd want to live right in town, since we are older.) Are there a lot of things for seniors to do?
Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Bellesmama; 02-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: want to add "we" instead of "I"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 12,740 times
New Albany in a great little town. Right off the river with a nice park and walking path right along the Ohio. It is connected closely to Louisville by the newly repaired Sherman Minton Bridge (I64).

The cost to live here is relatively cheap, as compared to other areas. I would probably avoid living closer to downtown unless you're living right near the mansions on Mansion row.

Your best bet is to live closer to the 265 loop on outer New Albany, closer to the river or closer to downtown isn't really the best bet.

There is a lot to do here, restaurants and its so close to Louisville, Jeffersonville and Clarksville.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

23 posts, read 66,756 times
I live in Corydon, Ind. Its about 20 min west of New Albany. I am a phone man in New Albany and some places are bad especially where theres govt subsidised housing, Corydon is a great place to live. If you break the law here, they WILL lock you up. No troubles here.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 11,639 times
I like the historic homes

Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM

77 posts, read 205,859 times
Kind of late to respond, but what the heck.
Moved to New Albany a year ago this summer, bought a house
in the general area of Spring St/Elm St.
LOVE IT!
It is convenient to everything, less than 10 minutes to just
about every variety of store... close to downtown, which has
a nice assortment of restaurants, bars, stores and quite a few
annual festivals.
In the year I have lived here, I have decided that the city doesn't
really have "good" or "bad" areas. With a few exceptions, the older
parts of the city has housing that probably has a $100,000 value
range often on the same street or just a one over. That said, I've
ridden my bike all over and haven't found anywhere that makes me
feel uncomfortable to ride there.
Weather in the summer.. last summer we had a week of 90 degree
weather. Otherwise it was quite nice. Humidity is not terribly bad,
but I am a former NC resident, so what they call humid I call almost
humid.
I was worried a bit about the proximity of the houses to each other,
but have found that it is pretty much a non-issue. Less grass to mow!
All in all, I think New Albany is a hidden gem of a place to live. Small town
feel, low crime rate, plenty of convenient shopping.. and if I need a big
city, Louisville is only minutes away. (And Louisville is another unknown gem
of a city too.)

Old 12-14-2012, 11:28 AM

Thank you, Wyheel! That gave me a good impression!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:56 AM

797 posts, read 2,337,593 times
Wow, I rarely see a post get revived this far out where the OP is still around to reply. As long as you're still reading, I live just up the hill from New Albany and spend a lot of time down there. Downtown has a lot of great local restaurants and some interesting shops. The riverfront and all of the historic buildings are also beautiful. If I was going to live in New Albany, right downtown would be my choice. It would be so easy to get out and walk around or go to eat and there are things like the Harvest festival and an outdoor farmers market that are around from time to time as well.

Regarding safety, there isn't anywhere I've been in New Albany where I felt unsafe. However, if I were female or an older person, I wouldn't roam the streets alone at night. Not because I feel the place is particularly dangerous mind you, but rather because it's good sense to be wary in any part of a large metro area like Louisville at night. Particularly in older or more dense areas.

What part of the Spring and Elm St corridor are you looking at, and where are you coming from if you don't mind my asking? Also, what type of activities are you, as a senior, looking for?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:24 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyheel View Post
Kind of late to respond, but what the heck.
Moved to New Albany a year ago this summer, bought a house
in the general area of Spring St/Elm St.
LOVE IT!
It is convenient to everything, less than 10 minutes to just
about every variety of store... close to downtown, which has
a nice assortment of restaurants, bars, stores and quite a few
annual festivals.
In the year I have lived here, I have decided that the city doesn't
really have "good" or "bad" areas. With a few exceptions, the older
parts of the city has housing that probably has a $100,000 value
range often on the same street or just a one over. That said, I've
ridden my bike all over and haven't found anywhere that makes me
feel uncomfortable to ride there.
Weather in the summer.. last summer we had a week of 90 degree
weather. Otherwise it was quite nice. Humidity is not terribly bad,
but I am a former NC resident, so what they call humid I call almost
humid.
I was worried a bit about the proximity of the houses to each other,
but have found that it is pretty much a non-issue. Less grass to mow!
All in all, I think New Albany is a hidden gem of a place to live. Small town
feel, low crime rate, plenty of convenient shopping.. and if I need a big
city, Louisville is only minutes away. (And Louisville is another unknown gem
of a city too.)

Come over to the Louisville forum and post about New Albany. It is a great area that doe snot get enough love that has made a real comeback in its downtown. One must realize that New Albany is nothing more than an urban "streetcar" suburb of Louisville....in the same light as St Matthews, Crescent Hill, Beechmont, or the Highlands or Old Louisville. In fact, New Albany is closer to downtown Louisville than Beechmont or St Matthews.

I cannot BELIEVE the caliber of restaurants in downtown New Albany. Now the area needs a bit more small town "antique" or boutique retail, a small grocery store like they have in Jeffersonville's downtown, and maybe a couple 4-5 story apartment/condo buildings to be a real live, viable, walkable urban neighborhood of Louisville.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks for all your replies.

Moving there isn't anything concrete at this time. We do have family there, and since we don't know what the future holds, it could be a possibility.

I can't ask family, because they want us there, and would tell us just about anything to get us there! I just wanted a second opinion, or third, etc.

So, for the time being, we are staying put, but later on??????? Who knows?

But, thanks for answering.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellesmama View Post
Thanks for all your replies.

Moving there isn't anything concrete at this time. We do have family there, and since we don't know what the future holds, it could be a possibility.

I can't ask family, because they want us there, and would tell us just about anything to get us there! I just wanted a second opinion, or third, etc.

So, for the time being, we are staying put, but later on??????? Who knows?

But, thanks for answering.
Well, you got your 3 opinions. Effectively, it is a neighborhood in a major, top 50 metro area. We will see you out there soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area