Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 11:36 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,622,880 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

We recently visited the Louisville area for some job interviews. My wife has accepted a position in the St. Matthews area. We're looking for housing, preferably a house with some land, but we're struggling to determine if living in Indiana and commuting would be acceptable.

Does anyone make a similar commute? Google maps shows a reasonable drive, but I don't recall seeing many Indiana plates in Louisville. I also don't recall talking to anyone that lived across the river.

Besides commute time, are there other disadvantages to living in Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,908,768 times
Property taxes are higher and crossing a bridge twice a day can be a pain.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:04 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
Thousands of folks commute from IN to Louisville...I did 60 miles one way for years....because like you, we wanted acreage.

I went to downtown LSVL from Scottsburg IN (Lexington actually), so I used I-65 and the 2nd Street bridge. With a St Matthews destination, you'd be better off looking along hiway 3 between Charlestown and Lexington, or hiway 62 between Charlestown and Madison, and use the new east end bridge. Scott County has a well established wireless broadband network that reached me in Lexington....once that happened, I worked from home. Madison is a neat river town, but that commute would be tough....it's all about choices and compromise.

You should also look east of LSVL, lots of rural property, but more pricey than IN.

Good Luck
Gemstone1

Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
please carry on...i mistakenly thought this was basketball...oh well.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:21 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Indiana side has much cheaper housing and less traffic. It also lacks amenities like best hospitals, parks, largest employers. In general IN has a more rural blue collar feel to it. Best thing about commute from IN to KY is it goes against heaviest traffic flow. Downtown interchange being rebuilt massively helped. It generally takes me 30 minutes to get from central New Albany to airport area.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:02 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
"Best thing about commute from IN to KY is it goes against heaviest traffic flow" huh ?

Not when I lived there, what has changed other than the new bridge ? So. IN is still a bedroom community for LSVL, the major employers are still in KY, so at commute time, how is the IN commuter going against the heaviest traffic flow ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,460,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Best thing about commute from IN to KY is it goes against heaviest traffic flow" huh ?

Not when I lived there, what has changed other than the new bridge ? So. IN is still a bedroom community for LSVL, the major employers are still in KY, so at commute time, how is the IN commuter going against the heaviest traffic flow ?

Regards
Gemstone1
90% of metro area population is in KY. Even with many IN people working in KY the heaviest traffic is coming from eastern and suburbs. I never hit slowed traffic coming in on 64 until I come across traffic from east end coming south on 65.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
90% of metro area population is in KY. Even with many IN people working in KY the heaviest traffic is coming from eastern and suburbs. I never hit slowed traffic coming in on 64 until I come across traffic from east end coming south on 65.
I am not sure that stat is accurate at all. There are around 300k people living in the IN side of the metro area. For a metro at 1.3 million, that's a good percentage. There is more to S. Indiana than meets the eye as far as Louisville's IN suburbs

Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,606,601 times
The trick to beating rush hour traffic is to live between your job and downtown. In the morning, you'll be driving away from town when most everybody else is driving towards town, and after work, you'll be heading towards town when most everybody else is driving away from town. That's how I did it when I lived in Houston, I worked in Sugarland and lived in Southwest Houston, about half way between downtown Houston and the factory I worked at in Sugarland. I never got caught in any of those legendary rush hour Houston traffic jams. I'd get off work at 2:00 in the afternoon and be home by 2:30, just in time to watch rerums of Mighty Mouse.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:07 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
The trick to beating rush hour traffic is to live between your job and downtown. In the morning, you'll be driving away from town when most everybody else is driving towards town, and after work, you'll be heading towards town when most everybody else is driving away from town. That's how I did it when I lived in Houston, I worked in Sugarland and lived in Southwest Houston, about half way between downtown Houston and the factory I worked at in Sugarland. I never got caught in any of those legendary rush hour Houston traffic jams. I'd get off work at 2:00 in the afternoon and be home by 2:30, just in time to watch rerums of Mighty Mouse.
Agreed! I strongly advocate for "reverse commuting."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area