U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job as an entry level software engineer for 55k. Is that a fair salary for this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 09:06 PM

7,045 posts, read 15,868,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuri51 View Post
I have been offered a job as an entry level software engineer for 55k. Is that a fair salary for this area?
Depends where. I'd say in Louisville its a high demand job and should probably be at least 65k depending on skillset. What city in KY? May be ok in a small town which is cheap.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 AM

fort knox

Old 11-11-2019, 07:56 AM

26,381 posts, read 39,402,601 times
Quote:
Specifically for Hardin County (Ft Knox), that is an average salary in software but a really good one as far as COL in the area.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:34 PM

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a low-ball or not since my friends are making so much more haha. Albeit in other locations.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a low-ball or not since my friends are making so much more haha. Albeit in other locations.
I'd take that. Ft Knox is dirt cheap, even gas is cheap. Louisville is close by for shopping/amenities. If you enjoy being in a metro area I'd consider living in Shepherdsville, which is more suburban in nature. 30 mins to Knox, 30 mins to Louisville.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:12 PM

19,906 posts, read 14,884,946 times
$55,000 for the Hardin County area, which is where Fort Knox is located, is fine due to the low COL,, not so fine for Louisville itself. Fort Knox, which is a troop light post, will currently rent on-post quarters to civilian employees, 2-3 bed duplexes or townhomes run $700-1200, all utilities except phone/cable/internet included, if you want a year to get the lay of the area before deciding where to plant yourself. Some people are fine with those 40-60 minute commutes to live nearer to Louisville, but others prefer to settle in Hardin County keeping their 10 minute daily commute to work and head up to Louisville a few times a month. Depending on where you went in Louisville area the commute home can be very, very ugly.

Where I would not recommend is Bullit County (Mt. Washington, Shepherdsville, or Brooks), you still have an ugly commute but are essentially living in the same type of rural/suburban environment, only its more expensive. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it if you are a minority. As much as I defend the bulk of Kentucky against charges of racism, Bullit County is a place I don’t. I have never gone there without getting the “get the @&*$ out of my town” vibe. Never. So I avoid it, as do a number of my minority friends. If you want to live near a Louisville, are willing to commute and pay higher housing, just go head and move to Jefferson County to get the whole metro lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:00 PM

word, i actually live in meade county for the low col and just go to louisville for fun pretty often. i already work this job but am thinking about whether i should be thinking about moving on since i am not sure if i am underpaid or not. i mainly took it as a first job out of school to get experience.

that being said there don't seem to be many alternative places to work around here for software engineers, other than like humana or ups.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
$55,000 for the Hardin County area, which is where Fort Knox is located, is fine due to the low COL,, not so fine for Louisville itself. Fort Knox, which is a troop light post, will currently rent on-post quarters to civilian employees, 2-3 bed duplexes or townhomes run $700-1200, all utilities except phone/cable/internet included, if you want a year to get the lay of the area before deciding where to plant yourself. Some people are fine with those 40-60 minute commutes to live nearer to Louisville, but others prefer to settle in Hardin County keeping their 10 minute daily commute to work and head up to Louisville a few times a month. Depending on where you went in Louisville area the commute home can be very, very ugly.

Where I would not recommend is Bullit County (Mt. Washington, Shepherdsville, or Brooks), you still have an ugly commute but are essentially living in the same type of rural/suburban environment, only its more expensive. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it if you are a minority. As much as I defend the bulk of Kentucky against charges of racism, Bullit County is a place I don’t. I have never gone there without getting the “get the @&*$ out of my town” vibe. Never. So I avoid it, as do a number of my minority friends. If you want to live near a Louisville, are willing to commute and pay higher housing, just go head and move to Jefferson County to get the whole metro lifestyle.
No one knows Louisville better than me. I'd take a good look at all options, including Shepherdsville, which is growing rapidly because its a nice place to live.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-14-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 07:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,299,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
No one knows Louisville better than me. I'd take a good look at all options, including Shepherdsville, which is growing rapidly because its a nice place to live.
It's sad because it's accurate. I have minority friends who all say the same thing.

She might not live here now, but that type of culture data point takes decades to even start to turn around, and as much as I have some trouble with Louisville, I will not bash it baselessly. Shepherdsville's rapid growth is completely white growth so your attempted point isn't helpful to the conversation. There are triple the number of hispanics in the area than there are AA folks, who in the 2017 census have 0.7% of the population, compared to 4.2% in LaGrange, a similar rural growing town in the outskirts of Louisville.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 11-14-2019 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: Edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area