Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 PM

27 posts, read 80,766 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in another post, my famlily will be moving to Louisville later this year (hopefully very soon).

We've started by looking at north Bullitt, Oldham and Floyd counties, but what about SW Louisville? My new boss said, "nobody lives in PRP," which I doubt, but what about areas SW of the "corner" of 264? The new office is on Cane Run Road near the river and I'll be at the airport about twice a month. I'd love a fifteen minute commute!

We're looking at 200-250K, but only because we want to stay on a 15 year mortgage. We could go to 350K on a 30 year mortgage if we had to and keep the same monthly payment. We're easy to please - we'd want 4+ bedrooms, maybe 2500 sqft and a half acre if it's available, but anything would be an upgrade over our 1200 sqft, 3 BR 1 BA current house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 06:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,997,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkeating View Post
As I mentioned in another post, my famlily will be moving to Louisville later this year (hopefully very soon).

We've started by looking at north Bullitt, Oldham and Floyd counties, but what about SW Louisville? My new boss said, "nobody lives in PRP," which I doubt, but what about areas SW of the "corner" of 264? The new office is on Cane Run Road near the river and I'll be at the airport about twice a month. I'd love a fifteen minute commute!

We're looking at 200-250K, but only because we want to stay on a 15 year mortgage. We could go to 350K on a 30 year mortgage if we had to and keep the same monthly payment. We're easy to please - we'd want 4+ bedrooms, maybe 2500 sqft and a half acre if it's available, but anything would be an upgrade over our 1200 sqft, 3 BR 1 BA current house.
I am going to guess that you will be in Riverport and yes, your boss is wrong. Maybe consider a house in the Cloverleaf neighborhood, you can easily find something in your price range. If you want acerage, you may want Valley Stsation or Fairdale.Do a search of 40216, 40258,40211 and 40272 for a wide range of houses and areas in SW Jefferson county. Be careful though of some of the 40216. If you have any questions, just let us know.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 AM

7,054 posts, read 16,632,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I am going to guess that you will be in Riverport and yes, your boss is wrong. Maybe consider a house in the Cloverleaf neighborhood, you can easily find something in your price range. If you want acerage, you may want Valley Stsation or Fairdale.Do a search of 40216, 40258,40211 and 40272 for a wide range of houses and areas in SW Jefferson county. Be careful though of some of the 40216. If you have any questions, just let us know.
What I like about this board is that we have experts at different ends of the metro. Missy knows SW Jefferson County very well, so you can trust her opinions. I just wish we had someone representing the Indiana suburbs as well as the far south suburbs around Shepherdsville and Taylorsville.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
What I like about this board is that we have experts at different ends of the metro. Missy knows SW Jefferson County very well, so you can trust her opinions. I just wish we had someone representing the Indiana suburbs as well as the far south suburbs around Shepherdsville and Taylorsville.
Why thank you STX !

Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM

27 posts, read 80,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Maybe we'll "take one for the team" and move to Floyd's Knobs

Old 05-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Floyd's Knobs is nice but just so you know, there is no direct bridge to SW Jefferson county from Indiana. You would have to go through downtown.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:58 AM

49 posts, read 155,690 times
Floyd's Knobs is full of big homes, but they're pricier IMO than comparable homes across the river, and the roads are dreadful in winter.

And plenty of people live in PRP. Lots of decent middle-class neighborhoods, but do be careful of newer construction close to the river. For years, they've been developing land from PRP all the way up to Valley along the river- in areas that historically have been prone to water. Boggy, swampy places where I played as a child, are now hosting big sprawling new neighborhoods. I find it hard to imagine that they will be floodsafe in future, knowing what I do about their past.

Now, let me burble about my "hometown." I'm south end born and raised, and I wouldn't live anywhere else. (And I have. It wasn't fun.) We're pretty well close to anywhere, with the Gene Snyder at one end and the Watterson at the other. I live in Valley Station, close to the old Valley Elementary on the corner of Deering and Valley Station roads- it's a very reasonably priced area of family homes, with lots of young kids. (My new tax assessment came in at 84k for our little 3 br ranch.) The area is very safe, the neighbors very friendly. The schools could be better, but bright kids may fare well in the Advanced Program, and in my experience the Catholic schools here are wonderful, and competitively priced. Community-wise, we're good people, good neighbors. Lots of shopping, though no nearby "malls" (for me, that's a good thing!) and plenty of good family restaurants, and lots of access to amenities.

Similar types of older neighborhoods (ranch and split story homes) with young families are common in PRP and Fairdale; my mom's house near Old 3rd and Candleglow is taxed on 102,000.00 value for a 3 br, 2 bath ranch. If you're looking for neighborhoods with bigger houses, Windsor Forest offers older homes in a lovely, parklike landscape. Nearby Kenwood Hill is hands-down the prettiest place I know of, with lovely historic homes- and very close driving distance to U of L and several good high schools.

Another point to make about the south end...right now, a lot of homes in the new construction areas seem to be good bargains. I suppose the bubble hit these areas harder; tons of them are up for sale at any given time. Fewer homes are up for grabs in the older neighborhoods, probably because they were less expensive in the first place. The south end is also home to Iroquois Park, Tom Wallace Park, Sun Valley park (and golf course)... all nice public spaces that are clean, safe, and enjoyable.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmissi View Post
Floyd's Knobs is full of big homes, but they're pricier IMO than comparable homes across the river, and the roads are dreadful in winter.

And plenty of people live in PRP. Lots of decent middle-class neighborhoods, but do be careful of newer construction close to the river. For years, they've been developing land from PRP all the way up to Valley along the river- in areas that historically have been prone to water. Boggy, swampy places where I played as a child, are now hosting big sprawling new neighborhoods. I find it hard to imagine that they will be floodsafe in future, knowing what I do about their past.

Now, let me burble about my "hometown." I'm south end born and raised, and I wouldn't live anywhere else. (And I have. It wasn't fun.) We're pretty well close to anywhere, with the Gene Snyder at one end and the Watterson at the other. I live in Valley Station, close to the old Valley Elementary on the corner of Deering and Valley Station roads- it's a very reasonably priced area of family homes, with lots of young kids. (My new tax assessment came in at 84k for our little 3 br ranch.) The area is very safe, the neighbors very friendly. The schools could be better, but bright kids may fare well in the Advanced Program, and in my experience the Catholic schools here are wonderful, and competitively priced. Community-wise, we're good people, good neighbors. Lots of shopping, though no nearby "malls" (for me, that's a good thing!) and plenty of good family restaurants, and lots of access to amenities.

Similar types of older neighborhoods (ranch and split story homes) with young families are common in PRP and Fairdale; my mom's house near Old 3rd and Candleglow is taxed on 102,000.00 value for a 3 br, 2 bath ranch. If you're looking for neighborhoods with bigger houses, Windsor Forest offers older homes in a lovely, parklike landscape. Nearby Kenwood Hill is hands-down the prettiest place I know of, with lovely historic homes- and very close driving distance to U of L and several good high schools.

Another point to make about the south end...right now, a lot of homes in the new construction areas seem to be good bargains. I suppose the bubble hit these areas harder; tons of them are up for sale at any given time. Fewer homes are up for grabs in the older neighborhoods, probably because they were less expensive in the first place. The south end is also home to Iroquois Park, Tom Wallace Park, Sun Valley park (and golf course)... all nice public spaces that are clean, safe, and enjoyable.

Great post, thank you! By the way, what do yu think of the go cart place fixin to be finished on Dixie?

Old 05-12-2008, 08:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,972,758 times
Default Neighborhoods on SW side of Louisville

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkeating View Post

There are a couple of nice neighborhoods on that side of town.
1) Red Stone Hill area (just south of Iriquois)
louisville, ky - Google Maps

2) Anywhere near Waverly Park/Hardwood Forest dr.

3) Lakeridge Drive (south of Waverly Park).

4) Medora Rd - south of Blevins Gap

And some other smaller locations:
5) Scott's Gap @ Blevins' Gap Rd

Old 05-12-2008, 03:42 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,431,489 times
^
Some good recommendations there. Scotts Gap is scenic.

As has been mentioned that hill country beteween Iroquois Park and Stonestreet Road is a good bet. This would included most of the places mentioned in the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area