Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I have a VERY STRONG disagree on that, and I suspect I'm not the only such person. Publix's fried chicken is so good, that it blows away even the fried chicken at Jewel-Osco. Yes really, I think the chicken at Jewel is fine, but overhyped. Also don't get me started how much I think people overhype Jewel in the Chicago area, on a side note! Any of the other chains (i.e. Heinen's, Woodman's, and even Mariano's), beat Jewel IMO. I even like Tony's better, as well.

Back to Publix and Kentucky. I thought they'd try expanding in say like Bowling Green and Hopkinsville first, then try to jump north and east in KY including Louisville, Lexington, maybe Frankfort and Elizabethtown, etc. Also, wouldn't they have a hard time competing against Meijer and Kroger? I do wonder if Publix built a new central or north KY distribution center, so that they could try building stores in Louisville sooner? Well, I wish Publix luck.
Louisville is a major market for them, almost the size of Jax. Opening one store is not going to do it. I have been in correspondence with them for over 3 years and like to think I have helped with site selection. Last year they told me again KY was not on their radar lol.

Louisville has really attractive GDP and retail growth numbers and really good demographics in the corridor north of 64 and NE of I-265 and it keeps getting better. This is going to raise some brows this decade.

I do have good word from them that I'd expect several of their first locations to be near the Snyder. The next location will likely be near Norton Commons....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 10:10 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is a major market for them, almost the size of Jax. Opening one store is not going to do it. I have been in correspondence with them for over 3 years and like to think I have helped with site selection. Last year they told me again KY was not on their radar lol.

Louisville has really attractive GDP and retail growth numbers and really good demographics in the corridor north of 64 and NE of I-265 and it keeps getting better. This is going to raise some brows this decade.

I do have good word from them that I'd expect several of their first locations to be near the Snyder. The next location will likely be near Norton Commons....
The clustering effect is very pronounced, the quantity of grocery stores is always numerous in areas with high median household income, whereas other areas of the metro have large food deserts for various reasons. Publix would saturate the market in Louisville, Wegman's would be a better choice, but obviously Publix is a better bet than Giant Eagle. In other wealthier areas of the country like Bedford, NH (population 22,700)- they have seven options: Hannaford, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's Market Basket, Aldi, Target, and Wal Mart. Up the road is also an Italian Market, Asian Market, and Siberia Market.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
I think for the purposes of this discussion, it's best to stick with traditional mainline grocers (Publix, Kroger) etc. and not small/specialty/niche/big box extensions (Aldi, TJ's, WF, Walmart/Target, Asian/Italian grocers). That helps to paint a more clear, truer picture, as mainline don't compete against them by and large.

Also, there's no chance in heck that Wegman's will come to KY.
It wouldn't be likely that Wegman's would come, but most people didn't think Publix would come into the market either, so stranger things are possible. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Wegman's enter the Ohio market first, though.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:25 PM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
They are a very high rated place to work, Wegman's, facts:

https://rbj.net/2020/02/18/wegmans-i...st-once-again/

"Wegmans was ranked #1 on @Great Place to Work Fortune Best Workplaces in Retailâ„¢ 2020 list, an achievement based on what our employees said about their trust and consistently great workplace experiences. Wegmans was ranked #4 according to 2020 Best Workplaces in New York! ** Wegmans ranked #7 in 2019 and #5 in 2018."
To bad, they are few and far between. Not a one in my state.

Old 09-17-2021, 02:49 PM

342 posts, read 319,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
They have a very clever technique of hooking you when you're young. Their top notch bakery gives free cookies to children, so you start out from your childhood days associating a visit to Publix with receiving a cookie.

Have you ever thought to yourself, "Yes! I get to go to the grocery store today, I can't wait!"?

I get that feeling regularly.

What Makes Publix So Great
Brilliant marketing. Meijers gives cookies to kids. I think Walmart does, too. My son always ran to get one at Meijers. I don't go to Walmart, so I'm not 100% sure if they do it but I seem to recall someone mentioning it.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Yes, Walmart gives cookies to kids too.

I use to work for Krogers years ago, they give cookies to kids too....or they did back then.

Old 09-17-2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
The clustering effect is very pronounced, the quantity of grocery stores is always numerous in areas with high median household income, whereas other areas of the metro have large food deserts for various reasons. Publix would saturate the market in Louisville, Wegman's would be a better choice, but obviously Publix is a better bet than Giant Eagle. In other wealthier areas of the country like Bedford, NH (population 22,700)- they have seven options: Hannaford, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's Market Basket, Aldi, Target, and Wal Mart. Up the road is also an Italian Market, Asian Market, and Siberia Market.
Uh...Louisville has pretty much all of those.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:45 AM

118 posts, read 95,831 times
Publix Supermarkets has been focusing on their Carolina Division for sure. The Sunbelt is their friend and growth opportunity and they know it.

Ohio?? not really, not on their major radar. Major push in central TN in and around Nashville? yes...north AL around affluent Huntsville? yes....suburban Birmingham? yes.....Jackson Mississippi? NO...west TN/Memphis? not really....both Jackson and Memphis don't have the demographics like Nashville for instance. Atlanta? already booming.

Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Uh...Louisville has pretty much all of those.
I was giving an example that even areas with low populations in much smaller metro areas have a large quantity of grocery stores and markets at higher median household income levels...

Old 09-20-2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I was giving an example that even areas with low populations in much smaller metro areas have a large quantity of grocery stores and markets at higher median household income levels...
yeah, smaller MSAs will have higher incomes due to less immigrants and indigents. Overall, Louisville has a much larger very wealthy population than almost any small metro.

Louisville has lots of corner and small grocers that many forget...places like Walmart neighborhood market, Paul's, and many more.

There's tons of international groceries too. Many come to mind like Safari, Jay Hind, Golden Key, Lamp Fall, Asian supermarket and many large Mexican super markets.

All I am saying is there are many more than you think not to mention about 8 metro target and dozens of Walmarts and Meijers when combined. I think per capita, Louisville has alot of grocers outside the old urban city limits.

There's no doubt we need a grocer in downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area