Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 02:31 PM

27 posts, read 78,732 times

Advertisements

Hello there! Me and Hubby who just retired from work are visiting Louisville In early June this year and hoping to find a place to spend the rest of his retirement. The city really intrigued me I'm just getting too excited to see it soon! As far as what I've heard, I think this is the perfect place to retire? So can anyone please tell me, we're going to do some driving around the city, what would be the best area that's worth visiting? we're looking to build our house and we wanted to be in an upscale neighborhood where it's safe and hopefully with a view of a distant mountains. Any housing constructions or in a golfcouse community maybe around South or east of the Louisville? As far as what we love doing, we ski during the winter, we're planning of buying a boat and go boating during the summer, I love watching concerts while hubby loves plays, we love food and love to travel as well. You think this is the right place for us? Also, what is the sales tax in Louisville and not to forget the winter, we get an average of 120 inches of snow a year, I hope winter in Louisville is not as bad as it is here in upstate NY. Thank You and hoping to hear from someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 03:09 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheena View Post
Hello there! Me and Hubby who just retired from work are visiting Louisville In early June this year and hoping to find a place to spend the rest of his retirement. The city really intrigued me I'm just getting too excited to see it soon! As far as what I've heard, I think this is the perfect place to retire? So can anyone please tell me, we're going to do some driving around the city, what would be the best area that's worth visiting? we're looking to build our house and we wanted to be in an upscale neighborhood where it's safe and hopefully with a view of a distant mountains. Any housing constructions or in a golfcouse community maybe around South or east of the Louisville? As far as what we love doing, we ski during the winter, we're planning of buying a boat and go boating during the summer, I love watching concerts while hubby loves plays, we love food and love to travel as well. You think this is the right place for us? Also, what is the sales tax in Louisville and not to forget the winter, we get an average of 120 inches of snow a year, I hope winter in Louisville is not as bad as it is here in upstate NY. Thank You and hoping to hear from someone.
It fits all your criteria, but do know there are no real mountains here. There are some very large hills that come close, though. Louisville is becoming a new destination for retirement and the restaurants, arts, and proximity to natural resources plus being located on a river are all attractive to retiress who want warmer wather but still want four seasons. The aiport is very convenient and small enough to navigate but big enough to offer direct flights to most major US metros outside the west coast (the furtherest direct flights hit Phoenix and Vegas). It is also much more affordable than other midsized competitor cities in the SE like Nashville, Charlotte, or Richmond.

For your needs, I would talk to Tomocox about Oldham County, specifically the parts around US 42. It has the most upscale sort of country feel you are looking for but still close the city. There are some real upscale subdivsions along river bluffs there. Also, Anywhere off US 42 in Jefferson County would be very much to your liking, especially the Prospect area. The most upscale and exclusive hilly areas that fit your needs are actually closer in. The area known as Glenview, Mockingbird Valley, and Indian Hills, are among the wealthiest enclaves in the eastern US. Huge 1920's era mansions on river bluffs and 5 acres mix with newer subdivisions. You would also enjoy Anchorage, KY.

On the Indiana side, there are some real bargains in hilly country with sweeping river views. Among them are Plum Hill subdivision and areas around S. Skyline drive in Floyds Knobs, IN. On the opposite side of the Indiana part of the metropolitan area, you will find a quite unique development:

Quarry Bluff Estates - A Unique Residential Development in Utica Indiana

Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
There are lots of upscale subdivisions in SW Louisville and Bullitt County that are in the Knobs Region, which feels/ looks like a mini version of the Appalachians

Here are some pics from the Waverly Hills area of Louisville
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/10168332.jpg (broken link)

http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/10168240.jpg (broken link)

Here are some from the Fairdale area
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/10461800.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-22-2008, 05:32 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
I'll try to take some more pics of the area next week to show y'all

Old 05-22-2008, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 78,732 times
Default Thanks!

Hi folks thanks for all the infos and photos, I really appreciated it. So, we'll forget the mountain views, after looking at the Louisville map, Oldham and Bullit counties are worth checking in to and so are Jefferson and anchorage which are more closer to the city. Once again thanks and please tell us if there's any other more things that we need to know or that we need to be aware of. Couldn't wait to see for more photos!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
There are some really nice upscale subdivisions east of Shepherdsville (Bullitt co) along KY 480 which offer great views of the hills in Bernheim Forest

Old 05-22-2008, 10:37 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There are some really nice upscale subdivisions east of Shepherdsville (Bullitt co) along KY 480 which offer great views of the hills in Bernheim Forest
yes, and golf too. Bullitt County is a little more "suothern" and maybe even "redneck" in parts than Oldham and certainly than the city. But that may be a draw for some. There are some upscale golf developments going in. This is an impressive one with a green design:

Heritage Hill is a quiet, family-friendly community tucked away in beautiful Bullitt County, Kentucky.

There are lots of communites like the above in Oldham, but I find many of them overpriced. Tomocox may tell you of a few, since he knows that area so well.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 AM

8 posts, read 23,410 times
As far as the snow and weather in general, an email I recieved this week sort of summed it up like this: It was an email that started "You know you are from Louisville:" and my favorite line was, "if you've shoveled 10 inches of snow and worn shorts in the same week!"

If you don't like the weather in the Ohio Valley, just wait 5 minutes...

Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 AM

666 posts, read 2,537,682 times
I would look in the Persimmon Ridge development in Shelby County, i think they still have some lots left, the clubhouse is huge, they have a golf course and there are lots of rolling hills surrounding the entire neighborhood, and its still 15 minutes from shopping, restuarants, ect. You might also want to look in Lake Forest in eastern Jefferson County, I don't think there are any esate lots left, but you can find a really nice custom home in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area