Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2023, 06:25 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times

Advertisements

I make my own NY Style Pizza at home with a mini oven. It requires Caputo 00 flour along with something like King Arthur Sir Lancelot high gluten flour or All Trumps high gluten.

Can any of these flours be purchased in local stores or bakeries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 07:13 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
I purchase All Trumps high gluten flour from my local pizza restaurant...I purchased 50 pounds last week for $35 with a $5 tip as a thank you. They get it from a restaurant supply company like Sysco as part of their weekly delivery.
The protein content of All Trumps is equivalent to 00 imported flour at a reasonable cost, and high protein equals high gluten.

To compute actual protein % of a bag of flour, look at the label....

"listed protein in grams x 100 divided by serving size (in grams) equals protein % content.

I suggest going to a small neighborhood restaurant vs a chain store.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I purchase All Trumps high gluten flour from my local pizza restaurant...I purchased 50 pounds last week for $35 with a $5 tip as a thank you. They get it from a restaurant supply company like Sysco as part of their weekly delivery.
The protein content of All Trumps is equivalent to 00 imported flour at a reasonable cost, and high protein equals high gluten.

To compute actual protein % of a bag of flour, look at the label....

"listed protein in grams x 100 divided by serving size (in grams) equals protein % content.

I suggest going to a small neighborhood restaurant vs a chain store.
I noted you are in VA. I'm originally from CT and I know that I could find it in restaurants there simply because there are so many in the state and region.

I need both 00 and either All Trumps or Sir Lancelot for the NY Style. Tried making the pizza with just one or the other and it does not bake right. Need a 50/50 mix of 00 and either Sir Lancelot or All Trumps for it to produce a true NY Style crust. Neapolitan only requires 00 but a much higher temperature oven for baking than NY Style which needs around 600 to 650 degrees.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:15 AM

online at https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cart/, but shipping cost could be a deal breaker.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
online at https://www.webstaurantstore.com/cart/, but shipping cost could be a deal breaker.
Yes, the cost to ship and also the size of the bag would be an issue since at present I live in a small apartment while I look for employment here. Will work on buying a home again at a later point and then I might be able to swing something like a 25 or 50 lb. bag. Will take up too much space in this apartment. Will have to find a 3 to 5 lb. bag for now.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:55 AM

Just for reference, 25# or flour or grain will fit in a 5 gallon bucket with room to spare.

Old 02-13-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Just for reference, 25# or flour or grain will fit in a 5 gallon bucket with room to spare.
I've seen them before. Flour should be refrigerated and ultimately frozen if it is to be used over prolonged periods of time. In an airtight container the flour will last up to a year in the fridge and freezer. At room temperature it won't least nearly as long and only has about three months of shelf life in the original bag.

I go through about 10 to 15 lbs. of each kind of flour a year. Thus a large bag like this does not make much sense since I don't make many pizzas for people these days like in years past.

Old 02-13-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I've seen them before. Flour should be refrigerated and ultimately frozen if it is to be used over prolonged periods of time. In an airtight container the flour will last up to a year in the fridge and freezer. At room temperature it won't least nearly as long and only has about three months of shelf life in the original bag.

I go through about 10 to 15 lbs. of each kind of flour a year. Thus a large bag like this does not make much sense since I don't make many pizzas for people these days like in years past.
Potential spoilage is why I buy whole grains instead of flour (other than my pizza flour). Stored properly, in a cool, dry environment, whole grains can last for years. I have 5 different varieties of wheat berries on hand with no spoilage, and grind as needed.

Amazon prime will get your 00 shipped "free", or if you are interested, Azure Standard offers Durum wheat flour or berries.

Old 02-13-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Potential spoilage is why I buy whole grains instead of flour (other than my pizza flour). Stored properly, in a cool, dry environment, whole grains can last for years. I have 5 different varieties of wheat berries on hand with no spoilage, and grind as needed.

Amazon prime will get your 00 shipped "free", or if you are interested, Azure Standard offers Durum wheat flour or berries.
Thanks for the link. Will explore that option. I can buy Sir Lancelot direct from King Arthur though the smaller bag now has a different name. Big bags are still Sir Lancelot high gluten flour.

I have not used whole grains since I last brewed some beer about 15 years ago. Will have to look into that again along with what you are doing when I have a house again. The fact that they can be stored for years is a real plus.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:44 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,077,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I make my own NY Style Pizza at home with a mini oven. It requires Caputo 00 flour along with something like King Arthur Sir Lancelot high gluten flour or All Trumps high gluten.

Can any of these flours be purchased in local stores or bakeries?
Speaking of flour, there was a guy from Texas who was arrested in Louisville with OVER 100 pounds of cocaine in his truck. That’s correct, over 100 lbs of cocaine. Barely made the news…..

https://www.wave3.com/2023/03/09/tex...ocaine-seized/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
View detailed profiles of: