Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,063 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm moving to Louisville from Toronto and have no idea where I should start looking for accommodations.

Seeing as I've lived in Toronto for 7 years, I enjoy the big city lifestyle. I like the fast paced environment and the convenience of being able to walk to local restraints, bars, shops, theatres, etc.

Seeing as I'm 26 years old, I would like to live in a "younger" area.

Suggestions I have heard have been Old Louisville and Highlands??? Do these areas come with high crime rates? How far east should I look to avoid west Louisville?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:12 PM

92 posts, read 498,807 times
The "West End" is the local vernacular for any part of Louisville west of Ninth Street in downtown. I do recommend you not consider that part of town...it is economically and socially depressed.

As for the Highlands and Old Louisville - neither neighborhood has a crime problem, so that need not be a part of your deliberations for which area to live in.

If I were looking to live in Louisville I would definately look at the Highlands. Look for areas off of Bardstown Road, Grinstead Drive, Eastern Parkway, Cherokee Parkway, or Baxter Avenue. Bardstown Road is mile after mile of local restaurants, shops, bars, and galleries. It is urban, disorganized, and awesome.

Another good urban area is the neighbohood of Clifton. The main commercial road in Clifton is Frankfort Avenue. Look for areas off of Lexington Road, Frankfort Avenue, or Brownsboro Road. Frankfort Avenue is a tree lined, more refined version of Bardstown Road. It is also full of local restaurants, coffee shops, and book stores.

Downtown is also going thorugh a renaissance...nothing like TO, but look on East Main/East Market for lots of new opportunities.

Old Louisville is architecturally amazing...it has a very odd mix of college students, artists, old money families, and down-n-outs. It is also a good neighborhood, but the Highlands and Clifton and downtown are, in my opinion, better for young professionals who want to walk to nighlife, grocery stores, restaurants, et cetera.

One other choice you may want to consider is the inner ring suburb of St. Matthews. It has a small commercial node at the junction of Frankfort, Lexington, and Shelbyville Roads. St Matthews would also put you a little closer to the standard suburban malls/shopping along Shelbyville Road.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:49 AM

850 posts, read 3,151,346 times
Jake - I could not agree with you more. When I hear people talking about being young, wanting something ot do, and being in the city - I always think of Bardstown Road, Highlands and the Clifton areas.

To anyone new to town - if it is diversity and life you are seeking - it will most assuredly be found in those areas.

Canada - try a google search for those areas of Louisville. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

You did not mention whether you have a job waiting - if not, begin with the 'louisvillejobs' search. Also, My Career Network will pinpoint specific companies and how many positions they have available.

Good luck - and welcome!

KimmieyKY

Old 01-15-2007, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,063 times
Default Good advice...

Great Advice...I greatly appreciate it.

Regarding employment, I will be getting transferred. However, my girlfriend will be looking for a job. She's currently an elementary school teacher here in Toronto and would love to continue teaching. She's contacted the Kentucky School Board to fill out the necessary forms and write the required tests, however I'm worried about her work visa. I will get a visa via my work, however how will that work for her? Is there a shortage of teachers in Louisville (or surrounding areas)? I understand that the American system works in a way that Uncle Sam doesn't want foreigners taking American jobs. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM

92 posts, read 498,807 times
I am not exactly sure about the US work VISA system...I am under the impression that you need a job offer before you can get a work VISA. However, there should be no problem with her coming to the US.

Jefferson County in one of the largest school districts in America. She should be able to find a job in it; If she can't, she could look at other local school systems - Oldham County School Districts, Bullitt County Schools. Other choices would be school districts on the Indiana side of the River - Greater Clark County Schools, New Albany-Floyd County Schools, et cetera.

The thing about that is she would have to be certified in Indiana instead of Kentucky. So she may want to also look into the Indiana requirements and get into contact with the Indiana Education Department to get all their requirements as well. That may give her more work and research to do, but maybe more choices and chances to find a job.

And about the US system discouraging foreigners from working inthe US - Inherently the VISA process is a discouragment to foreigners working in the US, but beyond that, if she jumps thorugh all the required hoops for American teachers and gets an offer, the VISA will be a breeze. The hard part will be completing all the convuluted tasks you must do to be a teacher.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:47 PM

850 posts, read 3,151,346 times
Jake - you are correct about Bullit county, especially. There is a big shortage right now - not sure why.

Canada - if there is nothing available right away - she can always sign up to substitute teach initially while waiting. I know there is a huge need for that.

I worked for a doctor from Canada - I will try to contact him to see what needs to be done regarding her visa.

KimmieyKY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area