Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 09:52 PM

38 posts, read 101,466 times

Advertisements

Expanding bus service is hard to implement when a guy on foot can keep pace with a bus (and thats not taking a head start----if I included days when I didnt walk out my door when the bus was coming, the results would be absurdly skewed in my favor).

But in all seriousness, nearly every public transportation study done has shown that people FAR prefer to and will ride a train as opposed to a bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 04:48 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
It is my opinion that a solid monorail system would work. It must be the backbone with a high quality bus system serving as the ribs reaching into the residential, commercial, and industrial subsections.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:43 PM

51 posts, read 133,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
It is my opinion that a solid monorail system would work. It must be the backbone with a high quality bus system serving as the ribs reaching into the residential, commercial, and industrial subsections.
Tom, etc.

On a related note...Since this whole gas mess started a couple of months ago, I have read several articles about how employers are addressing the problem of the high cost of commuting. One of the ideas that seems to have caught on in a couple of instances are employer operated/sponsored shuttles...Kind of a "Park and Ride" thing. The employees park there vehicles in a more or less centralized location and a company vehicle shuttles them to work. Acknowledging the liability constraints, something like this might work for "large" employers in many areas of the country...maybe even L'ville.

Steve P

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM

31 posts, read 52,098 times
Are you all forgetting, the 2 out of 3 Louisvillians who are obese and eating at least one meal in the car will not ride a monorail/light rail/train unless it makes stops at Mc D's, Taco Bell, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinstblues View Post
Are you all forgetting, the 2 out of 3 Louisvillians who are obese and eating at least one meal in the car will not ride a monorail/light rail/train unless it makes stops at Mc D's, Taco Bell, etc.
You are just a ray of sunshine aren't ya sweetie

Old 06-24-2008, 11:16 AM

31 posts, read 52,098 times
The facts (obesity and meals actually eaten in cars) as they pertain to Louisville are not rays of sunshine, no. They are facts. Though I was being facetious, ultimately enough people probably wouldn't use a light rail/monorail system in this area because too many are so car-focused and pick up a meal in drive-thru.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basinstblues View Post
They would stop at Mickey D's and other fast foods in their Mini -Coopers

Old 06-29-2008, 02:41 AM

149 posts, read 764,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteviePee2 View Post
Tom, etc.

On a related note...Since this whole gas mess started a couple of months ago, I have read several articles about how employers are addressing the problem of the high cost of commuting. One of the ideas that seems to have caught on in a couple of instances are employer operated/sponsored shuttles...Kind of a "Park and Ride" thing. The employees park there vehicles in a more or less centralized location and a company vehicle shuttles them to work. Acknowledging the liability constraints, something like this might work for "large" employers in many areas of the country...maybe even L'ville.

Steve P
Steve, this is being done right now with UPS. They run 2nd shift shuttle service to/from Radcliff for package handlers and sorters.

Returning to the rail question, we've already got tracks in place running to West Point alongside Dixie Hwy and Peewee Valley on the East side. Strikes me it wouldnt cost much money to wake up existing train stations that been in place 100 yrs. Spur also runs to Bardstown.

I guess its a question of co-operation among neighboring counties, not bloody likely that Bullitt for example is eager to sign a deal with the city.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:40 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYcoyote View Post

I guess its a question of co-operation among neighboring counties, not bloody likely that Bullitt for example is eager to sign a deal with the city.
You are correct about co-operation among neighboring counties. While each of the outlying counties would greatly benefit from co-operation with big brother Louisville-Metro, the price of such co-operation comes in way too high for the loss of independence. The current mayor for life would love to consolidate all the area into a mega-opolis. Something we all have already fled.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:34 AM

149 posts, read 764,228 times
Tom, the same is true down South around Bowling Green. There's 100 yr old abandoned train stations at Cave City and Horse Cave could provide 20 minute service to BG. But none of the big city surrounding areas want to become part of the sprawl.

It's ironic that towns on the old railroad line, owing their foundation and original success to rail trade, now shun the idea of re-establishing their link to major cities. Presently the rails dont even serve factory industry, been replaced by trucking and shipping over the road.

And with Louisville being logistics hub, UPS calls it the perfect national center for their operations, seems really weird L'ville doesnt even have an Amtrak station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area