U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,627,846 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm bored at the moment and just imagined this.

What is Louisville had a rail public transportation system? Certainly, on a smaller scale than Washington, Chicago, New York, or Atlanta, but with underground lines and fast trains nonetheless. Not some above-ground slow-moving light rail, I mean the real stuff.

A central-south line could run from downtown to the airport. You could have a stop at 4th Street Live!, 1-2 stops along 4th St. in Old Louisville, then one stop each at Churchill Downs, UofL, the fairgrounds, and the airport.

A central-east line could run from downtown to St. Matthews. You could have a stop at Museum Plaza, 4th Street Live! (transfer station with the other line,) Louisville Slugger Field, Highlands, Crescent Hill, Shelbyville Rd. near Cannons Ln., and finally at Mall St. Matthews.

Also, how about high-speed commuter rails to suburban areas like Crestwood/La Grange, Shelbyville, Shepherdsville, and New Albany on existing above-ground rail lines? Nashville is already progressing forward with that idea and has actually opened a new line east to Lebanon, TN.

As gas prices increase, so will the demand for people to live close to where they work. Why not offer such an incentive in Louisville where people can live in the city, have a quick commute to and from where they work, and have a cheap form of public trans.? Why not give visitors to the city a great way to hit up the best and most famous neighborhoods and attractions the city has to offer without ever having to use a car?!!! This idea, while expensive to construct, would reduce the carbon footprint of people living in Louisville and help project its status as a modernizing, growing city in the Midwest.

Louisvillians, your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 05:58 AM

4,809 posts, read 8,255,830 times
I am doing all my solo voice can do to encourage a look at mono-rail. It simply works. Light rail is loud, takes land, lots of land, and is slow to build. A monorail system will fit into downtown Louisville, cross the river easily, follow both expressway and alleys. It can carry 10 or 1000's with nearly the same efficiency.

When we look at the Louisville traffic patterns, the expressway system is very adequate except during the morning and evening drive times.

It requires a system, not a piece here or there, but the cost of a system when we take into consideration the cost of road construction and maintanence, new parking structures, and enviromental expenses is much more expensive than an entire area mono-rail system.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:53 AM

1,447 posts, read 3,067,870 times
This is the one thing that our city needs the most, even before gas prices took off. When I visit Washington, DC, I am almost literally green with envy.

I wish it would happen, but I don't think it will in my lifetime. (Unless I live to be around 150!)

Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I am doing all my solo voice can do to encourage a look at mono-rail. It simply works. Light rail is loud, takes land, lots of land, and is slow to build. A monorail system will fit into downtown Louisville, cross the river easily, follow both expressway and alleys. It can carry 10 or 1000's with nearly the same efficiency.

When we look at the Louisville traffic patterns, the expressway system is very adequate except during the morning and evening drive times.

It requires a system, not a piece here or there, but the cost of a system when we take into consideration the cost of road construction and maintanence, new parking structures, and enviromental expenses is much more expensive than an entire area mono-rail system.
I agree with you, light rail does take a lot of land, and unnecessarily. I mentioned the following attractions rather than putting the system along interstates b/c it's crucial that rail users reach the fundamental points of importance as directly as possible. So, a line to the south would follow mostly 4th or 5th St. and Central Ave. A line to the east would follow mostly Main St., part of I-64, then along Shelbyville Rd.

Yes, you're right, the cost of building new road infrastructure around the monorail, including parking structures, electrical lines and lighting, and the environmental bull that a few sissies insist that we need to implement will make this project run in the hundreds of millions of dollars. But, Louisville has a growing tax base; as growth continues, a new form of transportation will be substantiated, I believe, so the city can feasibly build a uniform system over the course of 10-20 years.

I think you've talked me into monorail, though. It would be much cheaper than underground lines, for real. Think also, what if Louisville has another 1937?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
This is the one thing that our city needs the most, even before gas prices took off. When I visit Washington, DC, I am almost literally green with envy.

I wish it would happen, but I don't think it will in my lifetime. (Unless I live to be around 150!)
Louisville could set itself apart as a surprising but forward-thinking Midwestern city that, while fairly small, tries to think big. I think the approval of Metro gov't in 2000 was the crossing line from "we're small town" to "let's think big," but it took 30 years to cross that line.

Progress of ideas and mentality tends to be slow in Louisville when it comes to matters of economic progress, but it's certainly not as slow as Cincinnati or St. Louis.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:41 PM

Oh, while I'm at it, you know what else would be my dream? In addition to inner-city public rail, have suburban commuter lines (yes, I know I've already mentioned that.) For example, run service along current CSX or N/S lines to: (1) Muldraugh, Radcliff, and E'town for all the expected growth at Ft. Knox, (2) Shepherdsville, (3) Shelbyville, and (4) La Grange.

My ultimate dream would have the extent of these commuter lines be express lines to, say, (1) Bowling Green, (2) Frankfort, Lexington, and Richmond, (3) Covington and Cincinnati, and (4) Owensboro. These lines could reach their farthest destinations in 1 hr. 15 min. or less from downtown Louisville, which would be substantially less than driving time. Of course, I say dream b/c I know Kentucky will never have the forward-thinking initiative to do something so daring.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:09 AM

6,753 posts, read 14,884,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
This idea, while expensive to construct, would reduce the carbon footprint of people living in Louisville and help project its status as a modernizing, growing city in the Midwest.

Louisvillians, your thoughts?
For one we aren't in the Midwest but anywhoo...... It would be nice but would it be used any more than TARC is now? It seems like people are very slow to use it even at 4.00/gallon gas.

Just out of curiousity, why are you wondering? Aren't you moving to somewhere away from the "annoying rednecks"?

Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM

184 posts, read 130,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
For one we aren't in the Midwest but anywhoo......
Many people believe we are Midwestern (including myself) some others think we're Southern, others say Southeastern and some even say Eastern! Actually we're all Louisvillians.

Any kind of public rail in Louisville would be very difficult to get ridership for. Mainly because the area is so decentralized, jobs are spread out all over the area so a limited rail system could not provide access for many people to their jobs. It certainly would have lower ridership than TARC due to this fact and fares would be considerably higher. The construction costs alone make it totally impractical as nice as the idea sounds government just doesn't have the money.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:42 PM

4,809 posts, read 8,255,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Many people believe we are Midwestern (including myself) some others think we're Southern, others say Southeastern and some even say Eastern! Actually we're all Louisvillians.

Any kind of public rail in Louisville would be very difficult to get ridership for. Mainly because the area is so decentralized, jobs are spread out all over the area so a limited rail system could not provide access for many people to their jobs. It certainly would have lower ridership than TARC due to this fact and fares would be considerably higher. The construction costs alone make it totally impractical as nice as the idea sounds government just doesn't have the money.
I absolutely disagree! Let me give you an example. If the line is only between UPS and downtown, the originally developed idea, there will be no riders at all and you will be exactly right; however, if the mono-rail system I speak of connects only the high schools, imagine the areas served, the flexibility of students and JCPS to offer specialized courses, plus the fuel savings for buses (please let your imagination take it from here).

If we stop the regional bs and build the system to connect the malls with Caeser's, Churchill Downs, Downtown, the airport and the Fairgrounds.... (again imagine)

And if we connect Prospect with LaGrange, back to Buckner, & Crestwood, Pewee Valley and Anchorage....

I know this is huge, but folks, the money spent on the local expressway system was expensive too and it works...

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:

Sweetie I am Kentuckian before I am "louisvillian" but that's a whole other story We have established that parts of Louisville is more midwestern but we have been through this already on another thread. I do agree that light rail will never happen.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
What part of town are you in if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area