Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,642 times

Advertisements

We would like to find a nice area to purchase a retirement home in the Louisville-Southern Indiana area. An ideal home would be in a nice area, secluded large lots (1.5 to 2 acres or so). An area with "NPR" type neighbors would be great. We're just starting the process and will be visiting next month, but would welcome any suggestions!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 04:09 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Obviously, how much you want to spend is key. The suburb of Anchorage is filled with huge lots that are practically within a forest - A'rage also has very high taxes to support its independent school district. areas btw River Road and Brownsboro Road and much of Oldham Co has large lots in a more rural setting

How big your house will be is also important, as areas like Lyndon or Kenwood Hill offer areas with large lots, but the houses only average 3/4 bedrooms

Old 06-26-2008, 06:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
excellent job census!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
What are NPR neighbors?

Old 06-27-2008, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out Anchorage first. As for price, we would like to stay under $500k for 3000 sq feet or less, or we would definitely consider building if we could find the right building area.

And "NPR" is "National Public Radio". When we lived in Boulder, Colorado, many years ago the whole city was an NPR neighborhood. Just a preference. Thanks again for your help.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:30 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Thank you.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:03 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
If you can spend $500k look in Anchorage or Mockingbird Valley

Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaCowboy View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'll check out Anchorage first. As for price, we would like to stay under $500k for 3000 sq feet or less, or we would definitely consider building if we could find the right building area.

And "NPR" is "National Public Radio". When we lived in Boulder, Colorado, many years ago the whole city was an NPR neighborhood. Just a preference. Thanks again for your help.
The main NPR neighborhoods are densely populated, with older homes on small lots (less than 1/4 acre) inside I-264. Would you be willing to compromise? Also, be aware that there are some RARE properties inside I-264 which offer an acre type bucolic setting. I am thinking of some property off Glenview Avenue and Alta Vista Road as well as some other areas near Cherokee Park. You will pay dearly for this, and rightfully so...

I fear Oldham County will be much too conservative for you, although with all the transplants it is slowly changing. In fact, in the last primary, Clinton barely won over Obama if that tells you anything. A compromise may be Anchorage, Middletown, or Northeast Jefferson County outside the Snyder Freeway. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
The main NPR neighborhoods are densely populated, with older homes on small lots (less than 1/4 acre) inside I-264. Would you be willing to compromise? Also, be aware that there are some RARE properties inside I-264 which offer an acre type bucolic setting. I am thinking of some property off Glenview Avenue and Alta Vista Road as well as some other areas near Cherokee Park. You will pay dearly for this, and rightfully so...

I fear Oldham County will be much too conservative for you, although with all the transplants it is slowly changing. In fact, in the last primary, Clinton barely won over Obama if that tells you anything. A compromise may be Anchorage, Middletown, or Northeast Jefferson County outside the Snyder Freeway. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Thank you! That helps a whole lot! I love the Cherokee park area, though it might be a "tad" too expensive. Thirty years ago a friend's family bought a 2 story colonial off Willow Ave near the park for $50k.

Thanks again....I look into it.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaCowboy View Post
Thank you! That helps a whole lot! I love the Cherokee park area, though it might be a "tad" too expensive. Thirty years ago a friend's family bought a 2 story colonial off Willow Ave near the park for $50k.

Thanks again....I look into it.
WOW. It is prob 500,000 now!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area