Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:01 PM

5 posts, read 45,695 times

Advertisements

I worked for EMS for years, trust me about crime areas. I am not confused about areas. You have to remember downtown still has Dosker Manor near U of L Hospital, the areas between Floyd St to just before Baxter are crime areas, a few years ago a bike police officer had his car burned when he was on patrol around Hancock street area. Downtown around river and main street has an increased police presence due to the renovations and increased tourism to the area, so living near the area has its perks. Butchertown had increased crime during the last few years, it may be better now, I don't know.
Newburg area also has seen an increase in crime in last 10 yrs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM

7,053 posts, read 16,628,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWNURSE View Post
I worked for EMS for years, trust me about crime areas. I am not confused about areas. You have to remember downtown still has Dosker Manor near U of L Hospital, the areas between Floyd St to just before Baxter are crime areas, a few years ago a bike police officer had his car burned when he was on patrol around Hancock street area. Downtown around river and main street has an increased police presence due to the renovations and increased tourism to the area, so living near the area has its perks. Butchertown had increased crime during the last few years, it may be better now, I don't know.
Newburg area also has seen an increase in crime in last 10 yrs.

Your evidence is only anecdotal, and very dated at best. I LIVE downtown, so trust me, I know I walk the streets at night. Many other people do. Yes, I do get ask for money...like any major city in America! It is just an urban reality. I see people jogging and walking dogs on Market street. Sorry, theres absolutely nothing dangerous about downtown (area east of 9th, north of Broadway, and west of Hancock). A few years ago, Clarksdale projects were next to Dosker Manor. 5 years ago, that area WAS dangerous! Clarksdale is now gone, replaced with a beautiful mixed income neighborhood called Liberty Green. Wait, I thought you worked downtown? We are talking downtown, today, 2007. And the future outlook on this area is only brighter, as there is so much investment and condo development that I cannot possibly list them all.

Why is Dosker Manor dangerous? Because black people live there? Dosker Manor is a series of 10-20 story highrises that houses low income, mostly African American seniors. True, you can see the occasional loiterer around University hospital, car break ins, etc, but the crime in this area is now no higher than other parts of the urban area. Of course crime is always a little higher in the city, but none of the areas I recommended even have a crime rate above the national average! Violent crime is just NOT a problem downtown. Unless you are a gang banger or drug dealer, you have no worries. There was a shooting in Cherokee Triangle 3 months ago. Should the owner of the 2 million penthouse condo on the 21st floor of 1400 Willow be worried? I doubt it. Seriously, if you can provide me statistical evidence that downtown is a high crime area TODAY, then I will believe it. Butchertown has multiple high end condo developments going in, and at best can be described as an overall mixed income area. Homes range from an old shotgun that needs work costing 80,000 to 500,000 condos. How dare people enjoy socioeconomic diversity! Believe it or not, Louisville is a city, and its crime rate is below its population ranking.

Just one example:

http://www.greaterlouisville.com/con...utchertown.pdf

http://www.edisonparkcondos.com/

Crime stats from the FBI, 2006:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/documents/05tbl08.xls (broken link)

To examine this data, one needs to look at crime rates.

Also, you are correct that Newburg has been a high crime area the last ten years, although the violent crime there has leveled somewhat recently. Still, not a desirable area.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
I live in Southwest Jefferson county and I haven't had much of a problem here. Aside from the occasional drug bust (which happens everywhere, even Prospect) things are pretty calm and quiet.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM

353 posts, read 499,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I live in Southwest Jefferson county and I haven't had much of a problem here. Aside from the occasional drug bust (which happens everywhere, even Prospect) things are pretty calm and quiet.
Missymom,

Are you down by Valley Station? I'm looking at relocation to the Louisville area and I was there last week but didn't get a chance to head to western Jefferson County. What's it like? How would it compare to Hurstbourne, Anchorage, and St. Matthews? I'm looking for a nicer, somewhat conservative, family-oriented suburban area and we really liked Hurstbourne--would that be a lot like sw Jefferson County? How do home prices compare? I've heard that west Louisville is the real ghetto so I stayed away. Is that just a myth?

About downtown, I didn't find it particularly interesting or vibrant, but I never felt unsafe. I had some homeless guy ask for bus money so I gave him a buck--but it all felt pretty safe. I walked up from Old Louisville to downtown and all of it seemed safe. It was more ethnic than I've ever experienced here in Denver, but I still felt quite safe.

In fact, I went all throughout the metro area and not only did every area I visited (from dowtown to the southern and eastern parts of town) seem safe--but it all seemed genuinely nice. Everything was clean and well put together. I was really pleasantly surprised about how well-kept the city is.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Missymom,

Are you down by Valley Station? I'm looking at relocation to the Louisville area and I was there last week but didn't get a chance to head to western Jefferson County. What's it like? How would it compare to Hurstbourne, Anchorage, and St. Matthews? I'm looking for a nicer, somewhat conservative, family-oriented suburban area and we really liked Hurstbourne--would that be a lot like sw Jefferson County? How do home prices compare? I've heard that west Louisville is the real ghetto so I stayed away. Is that just a myth?

About downtown, I didn't find it particularly interesting or vibrant, but I never felt unsafe. I had some homeless guy ask for bus money so I gave him a buck--but it all felt pretty safe. I walked up from Old Louisville to downtown and all of it seemed safe. It was more ethnic than I've ever experienced here in Denver, but I still felt quite safe.

In fact, I went all throughout the metro area and not only did every area I visited (from dowtown to the southern and eastern parts of town) seem safe--but it all seemed genuinely nice. Everything was clean and well put together. I was really pleasantly surprised about how well-kept the city is.

I agree with that assessment. Downtown Louisville isn't too vibrant yet, especially compared to a place like Denver (an awesome urban city). It is getting there though, and is only a few years away IMO.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I agree with that assessment. Downtown Louisville isn't too vibrant yet, especially compared to a place like Denver (an awesome urban city). It is getting there though, and is only a few years away IMO.
LOL. I'm not crazy about Denver's downtown, either. In fact, Denver's a bit of a cowtown--and that's why I think it's so great! Denver's buzzing during the day when the suburban workers are all downtown, but really the city of Denver itself is actually very small--it's just surrounded by so many 'burbs. Denver is heavily suburbanized and that makes Denver's urban culture so lacking, IMHO. They've tried bringing cultural ammenities into the area but you can only dress up a pig in lipstick and pearls so much before it just looks ridiculous. People don't live in Denver because of it's haute culture--they live here because of Denver's family values and faith, family, patriotic sort of atmosphere.

Ironically, it seems that Louisville is sort of in the same predicament. Louisville is just not the kind of urban hot spot you'll find in Chicago or even Minneapolis, Or, nor, IMHO, is it supposed to be. What I find so attractive about Louisville is that it is the same sort of city as Denver. It is so geared towards faith, family, and good ol' American patriotism and that's what makes it such a decent place to live. It's great that the city is trying to urbanize and culturize a bit. But the truth is that that is not what does nor what will make Louisville a great city. City planners need to realize that before gearing full steam ahead.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
LOL. I'm not crazy about Denver's downtown, either. In fact, Denver's a bit of a cowtown--and that's why I think it's so great! Denver's buzzing during the day when the suburban workers are all downtown, but really the city of Denver itself is actually very small--it's just surrounded by so many 'burbs. Denver is heavily suburbanized and that makes Denver's urban culture so lacking, IMHO. They've tried bringing cultural ammenities into the area but you can only dress up a pig in lipstick and pearls so much before it just looks ridiculous. People don't live in Denver because of it's haute culture--they live here because of Denver's family values and faith, family, patriotic sort of atmosphere.

Ironically, it seems that Louisville is sort of in the same predicament. Louisville is just not the kind of urban hot spot you'll find in Chicago or even Minneapolis, Or, nor, IMHO, is it supposed to be. What I find so attractive about Louisville is that it is the same sort of city as Denver. It is so geared towards faith, family, and good ol' American patriotism and that's what makes it such a decent place to live. It's great that the city is trying to urbanize and culturize a bit. But the truth is that that is not what does nor what will make Louisville a great city. City planners need to realize that before gearing full steam ahead.
Louisville can in no way compete with the urbanity of Chicago (or really Denver for that matter, as Denver has twice the metro area population). Louisville, from an urban perspective, has developed a sort of "niche," if you will. It has developed a reputation with artists and other creative people as an affordable and somewhat eclectic place to live. Louisville is not trying to compete with Chicago...I lived in Chicago, and there is more in Lincoln Park alone than possibly all of Louisville.

But, that does not make Louisville totally conservative or suburban either (although it contains that element in its suburbs). Next time you are in Old Louisville, walk in to Magbar and ask a local what they think about that! Also, I assume you have seen my posts regarding development downtown? Did you make it to Bardstown Road?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Louisville can in no way compete with the urbanity of Chicago (or really Denver for that matter, as Denver has twice the metro area population). Louisville, from an urban perspective, has developed a sort of "niche," if you will. It has developed a reputation with artists and other creative people as an affordable and somewhat eclectic place to live. Louisville is not trying to compete with Chicago...I lived in Chicago, and there is more in Lincoln Park alone than possibly all of Louisville.

But, that does not make Louisville totally conservative or suburban either (although it contains that element in its suburbs). Next time you are in Old Louisville, walk in to Magbar and ask a local what they think about that! Also, I assume you have seen my posts regarding development downtown? Did you make it to Bardstown Road?

LOL. I read a big article about Old Louisville and how fervently the area was against your gay marriage amendment, there. And I spent a lot of time down there and found it very interesting. I have no doubt that Louisville is not universally conservative--neither is Denver, for that matter. Old Louisville had a very surprising, hip, funky feel to it. That's what was so surprising to me--how funky and hip Louisville really was. While a pretty mid-sized middle American city, Louisville carries itself very large.

I did go to Bardstown road. Wow. I certainly wouldn't live there--but I can see why a lot of folks do. Absolutely beautiful homes and parks and a great area for singles and hipsters. I really like the area by west of Trinity High School--beautiful cathedrals and homes. Louisville is a great historic city.

I was surprised to learn that Kentucky is 56% Democrat. Colorado only has half of that! lol. And Jefferson County's representative is John Yarmuth--who is the editor of a very liberal magazine and has espoused some remarkably left-wing views in Congress. You just wouldn't find that in Colorado--or other middle American states like that. That is a real testament to Louisville's diversity.

Since I got back I've been telling all my friends about how funky Louisville was. There is this silly stereotype that everyone in Kentucky is walking around wearing wife-beaters, going barefoot, toting shotguns, and chewing on tobacco. Maybe in the eastern part of the state that is true--though I doubt it--but at least in the bluegrass region the people are very poised. Yet they are also so down-to-earth and folksy. I love the lack of prentension.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:13 AM

Quote:
LOL. I read a big article about Old Louisville and how fervently the area was against your gay marriage amendment, there. And I spent a lot of time down there and found it very interesting. I have no doubt that Louisville is not universally conservative--neither is Denver, for that matter. Old Louisville had a very surprising, hip, funky feel to it. That's what was so surprising to me--how funky and hip Louisville really was. While a pretty mid-sized middle American city, Louisville carries itself very large.

I did go to Bardstown road. Wow. I certainly wouldn't live there--but I can see why a lot of folks do. Absolutely beautiful homes and parks and a great area for singles and hipsters. I really like the area by west of Trinity High School--beautiful cathedrals and homes. Louisville is a great historic city.

I was surprised to learn that Kentucky is 56% Democrat. Colorado only has half of that! lol. And Jefferson County's representative is John Yarmuth--who is the editor of a very liberal magazine and has espoused some remarkably left-wing views in Congress. You just wouldn't find that in Colorado--or other middle American states like that. That is a real testament to Louisville's diversity.

Since I got back I've been telling all my friends about how funky Louisville was. There is this silly stereotype that everyone in Kentucky is walking around wearing wife-beaters, going barefoot, toting shotguns, and chewing on tobacco. Maybe in the eastern part of the state that is true--though I doubt it--but at least in the bluegrass region the people are very poised. Yet they are also so down-to-earth and folksy. I love the lack of prentension.

I think you just summed up the place very well. The Louisville suburbs are very conservative though, and probably not much different from those in the Denver region, although I am sure there is a bit more southern flare in Lville.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:53 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,995,087 times
I am actually in the Shively/Prp area and there are some new neighborhoods but it is not quite like the east end areas you mentioned. where I am is not ritzy by any means but nice none the less. You can easily buy a nice house for $150,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area