Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
LOL - will do Stx. I really do appreciate your recommendation - we should have ordered tacos and guacamole like the people sitting next to ours - those tacos looked delicious.

I guess when you are born in an area, as I was, that is overloaded with Mexican restaurants that serve flavorful food, delicious chilis and fresh salzas, homemade refried beans, soups, enchiladas (with every type of meat and fish), tacos, tortas, tamales, authentic Mexican cheeses and spicy hot red & green sauce, that is what you consider real "Mexican" food - it is prepared and served for the most part by Mexicans. It is the food cooked by my former Mexican mother-in-law and her born-in-Mexico sisters.

Mexican recipes and cooking methods are pretty regional - in the United States and even in Mexico. Why in the world would I feel any obligation to change (or feel guilty about) what I consider to be Mexican food just because someone on an internet forum proclaims that I am not eating "real mexican" food?? A crazy elitist concept for sure.
"refried beans" is not real Mexican....but you are certainly entitled to your own taste. It sounds like you are looking for what I call "Cal-Mex" which is quite a regional cuisine. Don't let anyone tou tell you there aren't 100 Mexican restaurants in Louisville metro, because there are, and then some. You just need to find the one that suits you. Again, if you post that same thing over on hotbytes, they can help you better. In fact, you will probably find some SoCal transplants on that board as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
My Mexican mother-in-law made the most amazing refried beans - just like her mother taught her (she was born and lived her whole life in Mexico)....thanks for the info and help Stx.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I tried the Tipico on Dixie yesterday. Their had very good refried beans and rice, their taco meat was decent.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
My Mexican mother-in-law made the most amazing refried beans - just like her mother taught her (she was born and lived her whole life in Mexico)....thanks for the info and help Stx.
Perhaps there is a region of Mexico I am unaware of where they do, but for the most part, in my travels, I never saw it on the menu. Please remember Mexican food is just as regional as American. They don't eat grits in Michigan but that does not mean it isn't American food.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:16 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I tried the Tipico on Dixie yesterday. Their had very good refried beans and rice, their taco meat was decent.
Take a friend there for their Birthday.... just be prepared to run

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Perhaps there is a region of Mexico I am unaware of where they do, but for the most part, in my travels, I never saw it on the menu. Please remember Mexican food is just as regional as American. They don't eat grits in Michigan but that does not mean it isn't American food.
Exactly! Think about American barbecue - I think wars have been waged over the "correct" way to barbecue and whether things should be rubbed or sauced, etc.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Exactly! Think about American barbecue - I think wars have been waged over the "correct" way to barbecue and whether things should be rubbed or sauced, etc.
Speaking of which, Cattknap, as amazing as the dining scene is here, barbeque has been my main dissapointment. I have yet to find a place of the caliber you see in Memphis or the deep south. I guess it is not southern enough here. I believe there are a few places out in the NE suburbs where you live, so let me know if you find any good ones. Also, I have been wondering about that sushi place in Prospect. Hanabi I think? There have been 5 or 6 new sushi places open in the last 3 months and I cannot keep up with them all.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:39 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Speaking of which, Cattknap, as amazing as the dining scene is here, barbeque has been my main dissapointment. I have yet to find a place of the caliber you see in Memphis or the deep south. I guess it is not southern enough here. I believe there are a few places out in the NE suburbs where you live, so let me know if you find any good ones. Also, I have been wondering about that sushi place in Prospect. Hanabi I think? There have been 5 or 6 new sushi places open in the last 3 months and I cannot keep up with them all.
Louisville isn't really known for its BBQ any more than Nashville is, Owensboro has that. However, there is a place on Algonquin that was featured on the news a while back I want to try, I wish I could remember the name

Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 PM

4 posts, read 20,296 times
Default La Rosita's is the best!!

I agree with the others, the best authentic mexican around is La Rosita's in New Albany. AWESOME

Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 AM

209 posts, read 739,243 times
Check out this review : LouisvilleHotBytes.com

Has anyone been to this Buenos Dias Cafe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area