U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2008, 07:56 AM

19 posts, read 43,731 times
Default Takeout/Delivery near the Summit?

Hi,

My family and I will be moving to Moser Farms in Oldham County in a few weeks and will be looking for quick takeout/delivery restaurants in the vicinity. (Although we don't use takeout eateries that much, the convenience will be nice on the first few days of our move.)

Looking for your recommendations for the following restaurants:

Chinese?

Pizza?

Sub shop/Deli?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 08:31 AM

72 posts, read 145,185 times
NNY,

Unfortunately delivery is limited to pizza. You have a few options though. I'm not sure how far everyone delivers, so you'll have to look them up and call them. But I would first try to call Wicks Pizza or Varsity Pizza (243-1101) I actually used to own Varsity under a different name, but they are using all my recipes. At the time I owned it, we had spotty delivery coverage to Moser Farms. We came in from Haunz Lane, and didn't deliver to the entire subdivision. They may have changed that.

Take-out is much better. The Summit has a Qdoba, which is a California burrito shop that is very good. J. Gumbos is there as well. They do cajun food. Which is all hot and ready to go for the most part, you can be in and out quickly. Across the street and in the same parking lot as the Kroger, you have a Outback. They have a special take out window to make it easier to pick up. Plus, you really are pretty close to everything over by Tinseltown. An O'charlies does casual American stuff. Two really good tex-mex places are over there too, plus a couple of sandwich shops.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely call Wicks pizza and see if they deliver. Do you know which location would be closest? (I noticed they have several locations on their website. Thanks!

I also plan to check out the take out eateries that you suggested. :-)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:37 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,670,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_newyorker View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely call Wicks pizza and see if they deliver. Do you know which location would be closest? (I noticed they have several locations on their website. Thanks!

I also plan to check out the take out eateries that you suggested. :-)
My friend, welcome to KY. I have traveled extensively in NY, but mainly the city I go there often for business. Anyhow, Louisville is a WONDERFUL food city. Ok, it is no NYC, but I would be willing to bet its close to a top 20 food scene nationally. That said, the dining choices in the burbs have not been too good until recently. In the burbs, I hear this place is good for NYC style:

http://www.herospizzapub.com/

It is in Jeffersontown 20-25 minutes from you, so they will not deliver. I don't believe New Yorkers have discovered Louisville like they have, say, Charlotte. Chicagoans have though, and their influence dominates here to make a werid meld of pie I call Louisville style. It is basically thin crust with way too may toppings piled on and think cheese, often cut in squares. Wick's is an example, and to be honest, I am not a fan. For this style of pizza, try:

http://www.impellizzeris.com/ (in the Highalnds so no delivery of course).

Another example of this style:

http://www.cliftonspizza.com/

We are very lucky to have a wonderful online foodie forum here called Louisville Restaurants Forum • Index page Its host, Robin Garr, lived in NYC for around 20 years. You really need to look there and join that board because they REALLY know food and dining options. They are super friendly and have much more activity than this board. You could live around here for years and not know of hundreds of options without them....

This site is super cheesy, but they actually have done a decent job listing restaurants...not sure about the burbs though, I am sure they missed some places (I think there are around 3,000 restaurants in the city alone now):

http://louisville.metromix.com/restaurants

Other resources:

www.louisvilleoriginals.com

www.leoweekly.com

www.velocityweekly.com

www.consuminglouisville.com

http://backseatsandbar.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Peter1948; 08-19-2008 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi STX12499,

I feel I must make a disclaimer.. although I live in New York state, I'm not in NYC.. I'm about 2 hours north of NYC, south of Albany, NY. However, my husband and I are big foodies! We travel to NYC just for the food and shopping. The area I am coming from is in the Catskill mountains, it usually takes 30-45 minutes to get to the grocery store, restaurants or shopping! This is why I'm thrilled to be moving to a neighborhood near the Summit. Having everything so close by when gas prices are high will be a nice change. :-)

Thank you for all your recommendations, I will be checking them out. BTW, I have browsed louisville hotbytes for a couple months now and LOVE that site!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 PM

72 posts, read 145,185 times
NNY,

The Goose Creek location would be the closest. Fracellis NY Deli is also in Crestwood. Head away from Louisville down highway 22, about 5 miles from the Jefferson County/Oldham County line.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM

3,759 posts, read 7,670,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_newyorker View Post
Hi STX12499,

I feel I must make a disclaimer.. although I live in New York state, I'm not in NYC.. I'm about 2 hours north of NYC, south of Albany, NY. However, my husband and I are big foodies! We travel to NYC just for the food and shopping. The area I am coming from is in the Catskill mountains, it usually takes 30-45 minutes to get to the grocery store, restaurants or shopping! This is why I'm thrilled to be moving to a neighborhood near the Summit. Having everything so close by when gas prices are high will be a nice change. :-)

Thank you for all your recommendations, I will be checking them out. BTW, I have browsed louisville hotbytes for a couple months now and LOVE that site!

Its ok, you are one of those upstaters huh Beautiful country up there. I think you will enjoy Louisville NE suburbs as they are beautiful country too. Seriously, join hotbytes. They are just so welcoming and friendly and have meet ups every few weeks or so at different restaurants! That board gets a lot of hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area