U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times

Advertisements

Yeah, apparently that person doesn't know just how important the Duke was in Louisville radio. Same goes for 'LRS and the late Ron Clay. Spent many mornings listening to Clay and Meiners.

Speaking of old radio personalities, does anyone remember the commercials for the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway on WTMT-AM? They were done by a man named Charlie Ryle. I'd love to hear those again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,218,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
the late Ron Clay. Spent many mornings listening to Clay and Meiners.
Absolutely classic stuff. Clay brought his "A" game every day. Thanks for reminding me about him.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,619 times
Other bygone restaurants

Red Barn (on Bardstoen Road)
Mario's Pizza
Wedge Shack (near U of L)
Village Inn Pizza
Bibby's Barbecue
Lotus Chinese Restaurant
Leonhardts (the best fried chicken in town)
Mazzoni's Oysters

Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Does anyone remember this song? This takes me waaaaaay back There's also some pretty cool pictures from a that era.

An institution on the Louisville music scene in the 60's, The Oxfords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KBw...eature=related

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 PM

11 posts, read 18,375 times
There was a Sizzler on Newcut road also.westland mall shut down mainly because it was on a septic system and the restaurants kept it filled up.The Italian restaurant was Angilos same as the ones that were on Berry and Preston.There is still an Ollies Trolley at 3rd and brook or somewhere close to there,Same lady owns it that bought it from john y brown.no one mentioned the two movie theatairs apollo 1 and 2 something like that in front on side of Kmart on dixie,torn down to bulid poo folks that torn down foe steak and shake and factory cars outlet.Dog and suds wasn't a resturant for just a few months before being turned in to car wash.the A&W in Valley way down near kosmosdale just recently shut down.over on Manslick st.andrews we had Bronners pharmacy.Also at manslick and Havelwood and Gagle ther was Eddies Seafood.Zantigo at dixie and Gagle much better than the taco hell there now.Lums on dixie now a law office.anyone remember Lugos next to Parkmoor bowing alley?There's still a Ponderosa in Hillview.All Kingfishes gone except Zorn and River road I think.Hobby House started at Algonquin Manor latter big-A shopping center.Ehrelers accross from the park is now a Coffee shop.Southland tarrace had a woolco and whoolworths kroger is still there jc pennys wester auto gilliams world ace hardware.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 AM

2 posts, read 8,619 times
Does anyone remember Burger Chef? I remember that they had a two story restaurant on 4th Street back in the late 60's. I think that the chain is now out of business. Another chain that I remember was H. Salt Fish and Chips, a competitor to Long John Silvers.
I also remember a place called Immorde's, which was at 3rd and Ormsby. They were a really good sandwich shop.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,970 times
There's a difference between the "baked" then refrigerated pies and true Ice Box Pie. True Ice Box Pie was made with a gel or pudding (my Mom preferred chocolate but, I liked lemon) then covered in whipped cream and refrigerated until the pudding (or geletine) solidified. She usually used a grahm-cracker crust.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 7,970 times
Default The Toy Tiger

Originally The Brown Supper Club with theater in the round and serving food, it became The Whole Thing Lounge in the early 70s. The new owner Denny Landrum took the logo for the Brown's old lounge area (of a Tiger with a martini, leaning on a table) and created the Toy Tiger. I was a patron from the start then ownership changed. I worked there starting in 1978. It was a very dressy, classy place where you might even see the Louisville Mayor and friends at the front room bar. All Las Vagas show acts in the show room, and everyone dressed to impress. Women dressed to out do the others and men in suits with ties. This was Disco at it's best with wrap-dresses and Nic-Nic shirts with leisure suits. Then do to legal problems (not associated directly with the club) the owner turned it Rock n Roll using local acts. That was it's downfall as the acts became more heavy metal the crowd degenerated into hulligans and druggies. Drug busts, fights and shootings caused local concern. The last straw was the last owner's attempt to convert it into a Gentlemen's club (Pharoh's strip club) and residents, backed by religious leaders got together a petition and had their liqour license denied. The only thing left is the old section of garage standing behind the current Thornton's.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 3,540,259 times
I wish I could read all of this. I don't want to add stuff that was all ready added. I could probably come up with a long list of recent closures such as Suncoast and Pizza Magia. NOt to mention Discovery Zone. Chi-Chi's and Stacy's. When I was a kid I would get a plate of those ham cubes for the salad.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 6,007 times
Do you remember when WAKY came to town? For two days they played nothing but "Purple people eater" by Sheb Wooley. Does anyone remember a DJ by the name of Beecher Frank and Paul Copwley. They were big back in the 50's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area