U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM

242 posts, read 307,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
h & s hardware on preston is now closed. makes me sad because it was a cool old store and the people who worked there actually knew a lot about the products they were selling. guess they couldn't compete with the mega-chains.
There is one of the old style hardware stores that still open and doing well! It's Brownsboro Hardware which is located in the plaza on Brownsboro road at the Watterson. The employees know what they're talking about and they have about everything!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 06:16 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
But every time I went there, they would have to special order what I needed.
And you'd have to stop by the bank to take out a loan to pay for it.

With their prices, I'm surprised they hung on as long as they did.

Speaking of old fashioned hardware stores, the best was Sellers Hardware on Preston in Okolona. Long gone now.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Not really stores or restaurants but what about all the car dealers no longer around?

Doublemont Chevy
Jim Booher Chevy
Hannan Oldsmobile
Louisville Motors Ford ... sit on hard chairs, save hard cash
Hull Dobbs Ford... now Town and Country
Burns Motors on Bardstown Rd at Taylorsville Rd... a Ford Dealer
Wilhemi's Rambler/AMC ... same area
Hausman Jeep (may still be around)
Koster Swope Buick
Tri-City Olds
And is Bob Ryan, the Smiling Irishman, still around?

I'm sure there's more
Just remembered another one, Ken O'Keefe Ford on Shelbyville Rd.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Yeah, apparently that person doesn't know just how important the Duke was in Louisville radio. Same goes for 'LRS and the late Ron Clay. Spent many mornings listening to Clay and Meiners.

Speaking of old radio personalities, does anyone remember the commercials for the old Fairgrounds Motor Speedway on WTMT-AM? They were done by a man named Charlie Ryle. I'd love to hear those again.
Yeah, my dad did those commercials as well announce the races there. Great memories!!!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 19,714 times
Murphys
Dimeco
woolco
this is not a store but still a thing of the past....those great K-mart subs!!!

and lets not forget the alpha cinamas and all the drive-ins that used to be : (

Old 07-15-2012, 03:04 PM

haywoods dairy-nothing better than going in there with mom on a hot summer day barefoot to get an ice cream and pick up milk in glass bottles
my what our kids missed : )

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM

^^ We were talking about Haywood's Dairy just yesterday. Corner of Preston and Outer Loop.

Did you have one of those little metal carriers for the glass bottles?

Along those same lines, anyone remember the Donaldson man? Fresh bakery products delivered to your house. Now that's a childhood memory.

Funny how I remember things from a million years ago but can't remember last week.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlySaam View Post
Hi, can anyone remember a restaurant around maybe West Pages and Dixie Highway area where you went in and sat down, but to order your food on a telephone? I was maybe 5 yrs old and I am not too clear on it, but i do remember every booth having a phone. Seems the restaurant was dark, and red lighting maybe inside?

Also there was a hardware store next to the Sylvester's/Nine mile place that had a swingset out front on the store for sale. My dad would take me and my siblings for a ride "to get us out of my mom's hair", we would stop and swing on the swingset for a bit, then beg my dad to do the "loopity loop" (which meant speeding down St Anthony's Church road to hit all the bumps). We would all be flying up out of our seats and our heads would hit the inside of my Dad's gray Rambler.

My dad would take us then to Ehler's. Oh how those days I miss. My dad and us kids would then ride pass Haywood's and hold our nose and say pu-weee! we always said Haywood's had rotten milk, as one time we got a hold of some old milk. We never went back to Haywood's.

I lived on Seaforth and West pages. I was 8 the first time I rode my bike with my cousin to McDonald's on Dixie. I thought I was GROWN! lol ( No way would I let my kids do that, I guess my mom didn't know!

Anyone remember the Pop Shoppe? It was next to the T G & Y on Terry and West pages. me and my sister went there a lot. You could go in and pick any flavor bottled drink. The bottles of course were returnable.

There was an ice cream place built seperately from the rest of that shopping center. It was an igloo building, I think the ice cream place had "Igloo" in its name. I had dreams of working there! (I was 5 or so!)
In that same shopping center was Taylor Drugs, Long John Silvers, Winn Dixie, A Jack and Jill's florist my friends mom ran, and a few other stores I guess I didn't go in because I don't remember the names.

Anyway, what an enjoyable childhood. Still racking my brain to remember more!
i remember the pop shoppe. thought i was the only one in town that did. you could go in there and get really different (at the time lol) soft drinks in little bottles for a nickle. i think ir was decorated in red and white stripes. And what about Thornberrys toys? does anyone remember them?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:50 PM

I also recall the restaurant at the corner of bacons center "the chef house" and shively records store (for those of you who dont know-thats what our music used to come on-lol) that was next to it

Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedays View Post
I also recall the restaurant at the corner of bacons center "the chef house" and shively records store (for those of you who dont know-thats what our music used to come on-lol) that was next to it

I remember the record store since a friend of mine and I went there in the 1980's in his 50 something Chevy~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area