U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,299,109 times

Advertisements

My Son is an accomplished sous chef in Philadelphia. I always send him newspaper articles about the 'Ville being a food town in hopes he might move here.

That said, another icon is closing in Guitar Emporium. A great place to wish/drool and much more desirable than Guitar Center. Very sad. I hope someone buys it so it doesnt have to close altogether. With the crazy decisions the overlay district committee are approving, Im sort of scared to see what would take its place :cry:
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 04:54 PM

921 posts, read 1,253,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You should get away from Louisville Hotbytes for a while. All that way over the top snobbery there is rubbing off on you.

And do you think Lynn's closed because the food was mediocre and had nothing to do with the labor laws being broken?
I guess i just don't equate eating good, locally produced food to being "snobby". I wear the same clothes and spend the same amount of money in local restaraunts as i would in a crappy national chain.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:23 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,299,109 times
Buying local is responsible citizenry.
One of the reasons I moved within walking distance of Bardstown Road is that I can shop local for anything I need.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:58 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I guess i just don't equate eating good, locally produced food to being "snobby". I wear the same clothes and spend the same amount of money in local restaraunts as i would in a crappy national chain.
Good on you. Nothing wrong with eating local as long as it's good food at a fair price.

But saying - "It saddens me to see those former (and current) Louisvillians think of the city as a Chi-Chi's and Friday's kind of place (er or King Fish??? blahhhhh). It is good for nostalgia, but if you want that kind of atmosphere, try Evansville, IN." - is a bit over the top.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
^
I think we all knew Kinfish was pretty average, but who can forget the campy "steamboat" Victorian Bordello interior (sort of like the original decor of the Galt House)?

The place was also representative of a local "street food" style, aka deep fried fish.

Quote:
You should get away from Louisville Hotbytes for a while. All that way over the top snobbery there is rubbing off on you.

Louisville Hotbytes' host Robin Garr (I think he still is?) is actually pretty unprententious. He will review hot dog joints as well as the latest foodie trend places.

Garr is sort of is following in the footsteps of Richard DeRusseuix (sp), the food writer for the old Louisville Times. "Desaroo" and his off-the-wall food reviews did a lot to do with popularizing dining out, back in the 1970s (I think this was posted earlier). So what you are seeing now in Louisville is the flowering of seeds...of a culture of dining out...that where planted 30 years ago or more.

If there wasnt this habit or tradition of going out to eat there wouldnt be a market for current restaurant scene.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 7,886 times
I remember a few more not yet mentioned. Thornhills Bakery on Dixie near Greenwood. The Silver Dollar on Terry Lane. Flahertys 3 in Dupont Circle. Gateway Grocery and Otto Drugs combination stores on Dixie. [burned down in the 70's Zayres on Dixie. The Alamo motel on Dixie [Had a swimming pool out front] Sumners Hardware also on Dixie. And anyone else remember Jug of Milk? it was a drive thru dairy on Greenwood road in front of what is now a bingo parlor. The bingo parlor was originally Eight Red Wheels skating rink [later Champs rollerdrome] Phoenix Records on Greenwood. [The first head shop in this area.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,747,512 times
^
someone used to live in my old stomping grounds!

Quote:
Phoenix Records on Greenwood. [The first head shop in this area.
Ah..but there was an earlier one...down in Valley Station. In an old shanty type house where Valley Station Rd crossed the railroad. North side of the road. This place was more true 'head shop' and had a very limited selection of LPs. Phoenix was more records.

Sumners Hardware was pretty good, though. Good memories of that place.

The Alamo also had a German restaurant for a bit, on the premises (more in the later 1970s).

Old 02-22-2013, 07:12 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
If you're going off in that direction, can't forget Pep Tab.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM

2,391 posts, read 3,865,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
If you're going off in that direction, can't forget Pep Tab.

Now that sounds familar. Where was that at~?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 AM

6,295 posts, read 13,173,944 times
I mean no offense to anyone from SW Louisville, but I do not see many redeeming qualities to this area today...Dixie Highway can be very unsightly and it is full of sprawl and planning mistakes. On the contrary, the knob country to the east of Dixie is vey pretty and there are some nice developments off Arnoldtown and in the hills.

That said...does anyone have old pics of SW county? Specifically, those of you who remember head shops and the like. Did SW Louisville have walkable "downtown" urban strips in the past? Even as small as the current downtown Middletown, Jeffersontown, or similar areas with 3 blocks of old buildings and local retail? This area has recently become of interest to me as I am beginning to realize that the rejuvenation of Louisville as a top city may be more closely linked to the west and sw portion of the metro than people previously thought. In fact, one could likely argue that until the 1950's when Louisville elected to keep Standiford Field and not build a super airport in Shelby County, did places like Atlanta, and then Dallas and Houston start to gain prominence and then surpass Louisville in the 1960s and certainly 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area