Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times

Advertisements

Does anybody remember the Lums restaurant on Taylorsville Road next to a funeral home in the Hikes Point area? The last I heard it was a goodwill store,does anyone know what it is now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,869,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Does anybody remember the Lums restaurant on Taylorsville Road next to a funeral home in the Hikes Point area? The last I heard it was a goodwill store,does anyone know what it is now?
Ah yes, Lums. Hot dogs steamed in beer. And the origin of the Ollie burger I believe.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Ah yes, Lums. Hot dogs steamed in beer. And the origin of the Ollie burger I believe.
I loved the Ollie burger!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
I loved the Ollie burger!
Try it yourself The World’s Greatest Hamburger « Ollieburger’s Greatest Recipe’s

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Has anyone mentioned Fanelli's Ice Cream in Beuchel or the old Haywoods Dairy on Outer Loop? And that there used to be a full service gas station ( with free air and advice ) on just about every other corner?
Haywoods! Forgot about Haywoods! There used to be one on Greenwood Road in PRP. we used to get milk from there, 4 (I think, maybe it was 6 ) 1 litre glass bottles in a plastic carry thingo--which I always thought looked just the way the milk looked on tv when it was delivered to your door!--ohhhh it was such nice milk. And that Haywoods was the first place I ever had mint chocolate chip ice cream, which I promptly fell in love with (before discovering other flavours!)

I was heartbroken when Haywood's closed. I loved those glass milk bottles!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:29 AM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,159,984 times
I think I've posted this here before and nobody replied, but when I was a kid we used to get spaghetti and meatballs in a great big KFC-like bucket from some Italian restaurant somewhere in Shively--I want to say it was in or near the Crums Lane area, but I was quite small (4/5).

Anybody know what that place was called? I used to love going with my dad to pick it up (you called the order in). I'd sit next to him with the bucket on my lap, really thinking I was important because I got to hold the s'ghetti and meatballs. Have no idea why I thought that was such a big deal.....

Oh and while we're on Italian food--I used to like Pizza Inn on Dixie--it was like Pizza Huts step-sibling, but I liked it anyway! I think we were able to go there up until about 1987....can't think of what's there now.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:03 AM

17 posts, read 129,401 times
My dad remembers a "Hick's" restaurant in Shively. I don't think it was around when I was young though. He also told me my grandfather met my grandmother at the Alamo Theater downtown.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:38 AM

Speaking of old closed down restaurants on Dixie Highway, does anyone remember a place called House of Beef? It was in the area of Doublemont Chevy (Bob Montgomery). I ate there back in the 70's and haven't had a steak that good since. Seems like it was kind of a hole in the wall place but they sure served a good cut of meat.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:42 AM

Not really stores or restaurants but what about all the car dealers no longer around?

Doublemont Chevy
Jim Booher Chevy
Hannan Oldsmobile
Louisville Motors Ford ... sit on hard chairs, save hard cash
Hull Dobbs Ford... now Town and Country
Burns Motors on Bardstown Rd at Taylorsville Rd... a Ford Dealer
Wilhemi's Rambler/AMC ... same area
Hausman Jeep (may still be around)
Koster Swope Buick
Tri-City Olds
And is Bob Ryan, the Smiling Irishman, still around?

I'm sure there's more

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 08-18-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,077,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonky View Post
My dad remembers a "Hick's" restaurant in Shively. I don't think it was around when I was young though. He also told me my grandfather met my grandmother at the Alamo Theater downtown.
I believe Hick's was what Jerry's is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area