Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 11:13 AM

4 posts, read 35,104 times

Advertisements

Wow! This thread is great. I have been a South End Dixie boy all my life and I remember lots of the aforementioned restaurants. Oddly enough, my friend and I were discussing the Cow Palace on Dixie Hwy just earlier today. Here's a brain teaser for you. After it the Cow Palace on Dixie closed, it was a German restaurant for a very brief time before it became Mexico Tipico. I want to say it was called something like Oberhaus or something to that effect. This would have been mid to late 80's/early 90's time frame. Anyone remember this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2000man View Post
Wow! This thread is great. I have been a South End Dixie boy all my life and I remember lots of the aforementioned restaurants. Oddly enough, my friend and I were discussing the Cow Palace on Dixie Hwy just earlier today. Here's a brain teaser for you. After it the Cow Palace on Dixie closed, it was a German restaurant for a very brief time before it became Mexico Tipico. I want to say it was called something like Oberhaus or something to that effect. This would have been mid to late 80's/early 90's time frame. Anyone remember this one?
Ya know, I think I vaguely remember that. I think this has been brought up all ready but what was the motel that used to be on Dixie that had a restaurant in it?

Old 10-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Are you thinking of the Toad Stool Inn? It was a motel type of establishment that was in Shively, just south of the Old Bacons bldg. In fact there is a new hotel that has been built on the site now. That's the only Hotel I remember with a restaurant out in front.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,407 times
Question Bygone era

I am searching for anyone who might remember the "Club Neon." It was located at 18th and Maple street probably during the 30's or 40's. I have an old souvenir picture of my grandmother partying there and would love to know more about the club.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM

17 posts, read 129,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthilo View Post
I am searching for anyone who might remember the "Club Neon." It was located at 18th and Maple street probably during the 30's or 40's. I have an old souvenir picture of my grandmother partying there and would love to know more about the club.
There is an old snippet about the place that I'll quote. I'd track down Gary if you want to investigate it further.

"Gary Falk, well-rounded saxophone and flute player, owner/manager of Falk Audio and Louisville historian, met with me at Kaelin's Restaurant to offer some insights on the history of the jazz scene in this area.

Gary reminisced about the old jazz venues in Louisville affectionately known as ‘the joints’. He talked about the Blue Moon at Hancock and Breckinridge Streets, famous for those late-night jam sessions. Over the years, Eddie Donaldson's Shack at 118 W. Washington, the Topaz on Bardstown Road, the Diamond Horseshoe on 12th and Zane, Bucket and Lena's at 13th and Magazine Street, Club Neon at 18th and Maple, Club Rialto on 18th Street ‘at the tracks’, Dave's Palm Room at 13th and Magazine (across from Bucket and Lena's) — which became Joe's Palm Room when Joe Hammond bought it in 1967 and moved it to 18th and Jefferson Streets — and Mr. D's at 34th and Grand were all popular places to go for jazz even though most were not billed as ‘jazz’ clubs. These establishments were, for the most part, corner bars that played the popular music of the day. It just so happened that the popular music of the day, especially in the black community, was jazz and blues. The incredible thing about the old clubs was that the music was not just a weekend event; it usually took place five or six nights a week."

Old 10-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2000man View Post
Are you thinking of the Toad Stool Inn? It was a motel type of establishment that was in Shively, just south of the Old Bacons bldg. In fact there is a new hotel that has been built on the site now. That's the only Hotel I remember with a restaurant out in front.
Could be!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:29 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,657 times
Quote:
Over the years, Eddie Donaldson's Shack at 118 W. Washington
I would so love to know some history about that place. I remember Eddie Donaldson's from the midseventies. Geez, what an atmosphere. For me, the place will always be legend.
I used to work at the Great Midwestern Bluegrass Hall around 108 W. Washington. We were the backside of a bunch of buildings that fronted on Main, right beside the Second Street bridge. Up on Main, there was a bar called CityLights, and a gay bar. It was nothing to see a parade of cross-dressers walk thru either bar during the night...
After we'd close the bluegrass bar (@ 4am) and cleanup, we'd all walk down to Eddie's at the end of the block and have breakfast. They'd still be going strong, and now and then, people would still be jammin'.
Last time I looked, the whole building was gone. Just a big hole with a fence around it.
Truly the end of an era.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 25,445 times
Do you happen to recall any stores there were in southland terrace in shively? My aunts owned the old Leonhardt's Restaurant and some family members were gathered trying to remember all the stores there in the 60's and 70's

Old 10-25-2009, 07:30 AM

Southland terrace used to have JCPenney's, Baskin Robbin's and Blue Boar. Those are all I remember lol

Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 AM

I remember another store from the early 80's in Southland terrace. It was a hobby store, much like Something To Do called Gillam's World. It later changed names to a store called Wicklow's. I remember they had a small toy area there and it seemed like that I could always find specific action figures that I couldn't at Children's Palace and Toys R Us.

Another interesting memory from Southland Terrace was their Easter Parades. I remember that my mom took me to those for a few years, in the late 70's and early 80's. There was always like a celebrity grand marshall of sorts. One year it was Darth Vader from Star Wars. I loved SW but I was actually a little afraid of Vader then. I remember one other time they had Sonny Shroyer who played Deputy Enos Strait on the TV show, The Dukes Of Hazzard. That had to be around 80' or 81' but I am not sure exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area