Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,221 times

Advertisements

Anybody recall the name of the grocery store on Woodlawn Ave where a murder took place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:39 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,868,677 times
Just happened across this picture. Pretty cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-burger-chef.jpg  

Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 AM

Location: City - Prefer the country. People shouldn't have to live where they can't see the stars.
98 posts, read 283,700 times
Since Gimme bumped this thread with that cool shot, how about Mazzoni's? I loved Mazzoni's...sure do miss 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-mazzoni_bar.jpg   Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-mazzoni_oyster.jpg   Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-mazzoni_sign.jpg  

Old 11-04-2010, 04:30 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypoo View Post
Anybody remember Henry's? It was a fast food hamburger restaurant on Cane Run Road in the early 60's. had a smiley face on the sign.
Small world. My dad worked at Henry's in the early to mid 1960's. I think it was on Cane Run going towards Shively.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Does anyone remember the trading stamps given out by grocery stores and gas stations? You could redeem them for merchandise from a catalog. If I'm not mistaken, there was also a store for one or the other at the Indian Trail Shopping Center on Preston.
Attached Thumbnails
Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-greenstampsfront.jpg   Bygone Louisville stores/restaurants-top-value-stamps.jpg  

Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,046,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Does anyone remember the trading stamps given out by grocery stores and gas stations? You could redeem them for merchandise from a catalog. If I'm not mistaken, there was also a store for one or the other at the Indian Trail Shopping Center on Preston.
Thanks for the memory of my Mom. She got me a doll from those stamps and other items. I believe the store we went to was in the Highlands or Hikes Point.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 PM

4 posts, read 20,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
There was also a Cape Codder in Okolona on St Rita Drive. It later became Kip's Kove.

Speaking of donuts, does anyone remember a bakery in Louisville called Davis Donuts? One of my fondest childhood memories is the glazed donuts from there. Would have been somewhere from the late 50s to the early 60s.

I registered just so I could respond to this as I was thinking of Davis donuts the other day, actually their donuts. I'll explain, my Grandmother took me there as a real small child and always remembered it as I had one that was my favorite, then in the 90's where I worked their was a girl who brought some donuts in one day and it was the one (my favorite), she had got them from some donut place on I believe Algonquin parkway that was a mom and pop shop. It was the one that was big with white icing on top and in the center. I thought the other day I would like to have one again and thought about driving to find the place but decided against it.
I remember almost every place mentioned here and of course Bacon's was my biggest lost. Spent most of my early life shopping their about once a week and actually worked at the one in Shively a couple of Christmas's. It was a big loss to Louisville.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:56 PM

4 posts, read 20,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peemeaney View Post
Anybody recall the name of the grocery store on Woodlawn Ave where a murder took place?

I remember it but not sure of the name, was it a Key Market?

Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseason View Post
I registered just so I could respond to this as I was thinking of Davis donuts the other day, actually their donuts. I'll explain, my Grandmother took me there as a real small child and always remembered it as I had one that was my favorite, then in the 90's where I worked their was a girl who brought some donuts in one day and it was the one (my favorite), she had got them from some donut place on I believe Algonquin parkway that was a mom and pop shop. It was the one that was big with white icing on top and in the center. I thought the other day I would like to have one again and thought about driving to find the place but decided against it.
I remember almost every place mentioned here and of course Bacon's was my biggest lost. Spent most of my early life shopping their about once a week and actually worked at the one in Shively a couple of Christmas's. It was a big loss to Louisville.

A little digging on the web finds that on Taylor Blvd near the point where it meets with Algonquin Parkway, Winkler Ave. and Rodman is where the Davis Bakery was located.

It also says there's a Sonic there now

Old 11-13-2010, 09:45 AM

6 posts, read 25,725 times
Interesting thread for sure. I'm 39 and grew up in New Albany so my main memories are of Green Tree Mall but I do recall going to a hobby store called Wicklow's on the outer loop east of Jefferson Mall back in 1988 or 1989. They had a great selection of plastic model kits. For railroad stuff Hobby House on Preston was the best, hands down. Amazing we don't have a single hobby store left in the entire area.

I also remember Grand Junction up on 10th street in Jeffersonville and there was one on Preston near Hobby House. Best spicy fries ever. Blew Rally's away. Dixie Manor with the awesome neon sign (Gateway Plaza and Youngstown Shopping Center had these also). I'm thinking there was a Cow Palace on Preston near McCawley Road. This was the road we used to take to enter Jefferson Mall so we could avoid the long traffic signal at Preston and Outer Loop.

Doesn't seem like this was all 20+ years ago now.

Chad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area